Pilot Shaft to Bronze Pilot Bushing Clearance - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Dec 14th, 10, 11:46 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Default Pilot Shaft to Bronze Pilot Bushing Clearance

Pilot shaft is slightly worn, and it cleaned up and polished to .587". Dorman pilot bushing measures .593, for total clearance of .006"
Runout in pilot bushing measures less than .001".
Bellhousing runout measures less than .003" in both directions. (ie, north-south and east-west).
Will the somewhat sloppy pilot shaft give me problems?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 15th, 10, 3:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Default Re: Pilot Shaft to Bronze Pilot Bushing Clearance

It won't make life any easier for your input shaft bearing. however there has to be some clearance. .003" on a side isn't all that much.
Old Dec 17th, 10, 12:02 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965tripleblack View Post
Pilot shaft is slightly worn, and it cleaned up and polished to .587". Dorman pilot bushing measures .593, for total clearance of .006"
Runout in pilot bushing measures less than .001".
Bellhousing runout measures less than .003" in both directions. (ie, north-south and east-west).
Will the somewhat sloppy pilot shaft give me problems?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
If you're using a Saginaw, Muncie or BW T10 and a bronze oilite bushing you will be fine. These transmissions have a ball bearing front bearing and will easily tolerate a little slack. Like charbilly said, .003" isn't that much.
Jim

Email: jim@hurst-drivelines.com
Old Dec 18th, 10, 12:15 AM
Team Member

Also,in many cases " post install " the ID of the stock type pilot bushings is reduced significantly/enough (due to a very tight interfearance fit) to cause issues with even worn input shafts not being able to fully seat/enter the pilot busing not allowing trans to properly/fully seat against bell hosuing.

I have run into this 1st hand on the last 4 of 4 motor installs on man trans chevelles i have done in past few yrs.

I had to use a dremel tool with fine grinder to carefully/as evenly as possible remove just enough material to allow the input shaft to enter the bushing.

No issues post doing that on those cars 1 of which was my car that has gone over 7kmiles since doing that .

BYW,i have been at this stuff for over 40yr now and havent had any issues with input shafts not going into pilot bushngs post install untill the last 4-5 yrs when the mfg of some pilot buyshings went off shore.

And that includes my cars motor that i have owned for over 33yrs where motor and trans were out a few times over the 33 +yrs with same crank in motor the motor so no change there at all and no damage to crank where pilot bushing seats either.

The mfg tollerance & or metarial the pilot bushing are made of must have changed a bit over the yrs which why we are now having this issue that i see other fellow t/cr's had issues with over past few yrs too.

So do yourself a favor and install the pilot bushing in the crank with motor on hoist/cherry picker
& then prior to installing flywheel,clutch bellhousing have a buddy help you try test fitting input shaft of trans into pilot bushing to see if it still fite post insl;aloing bushing in crank.

I learned this the hard way the 1st time this happened to me a few yrs back.

If it fit's great, but if not it takes litterally 4-5 mins or less to carefully remove enough meterial from the ID of bushing to allow input shaft to properly seat,snug but not too tight all done prior to istalling the flywheel/clutch/bellhousing/and motor in car to find it's an issue.

If you dont test fit you run the risk of getting the motor in car and trans not going in all the way due to thisd issdue having to remove trans/bellhosuing/clutch/flywheel just to take 5 mins to remove enough metrial from bushing to asllow trans to fully/proerly seat.

BTW,i used stock pilot bushings from Doorman/Lakewood/Hayes/Carquest/etc,who knows if they all came from the same mfg or not.

They all looked a little different in color-texture from eachother but all had same non fitment issue post install in every casse weather it be sbc or bbc with muncie trans.

Let us know how it goes.

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)

Last edited by SWHEATON; Dec 18th, 10 at 12:36 AM.
Old Dec 20th, 10, 3:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

A piece of emory cloth slipped in a slot hacksawed in end of a short piece of 1/4" dowel rod in a drill will help keep the ID round. Check fit often,a little loose is better than a little tight.Its going to swell with the heat. I have seen the bushing stick to the trans input stub and turn in the crank....makes a rriiiiip noise just as you let out on the clutch,same noise if its way oversize too.
86 Buick Grand National
will satisfy your need for speed but at a price...
And a bunch of other junk.
Old Dec 20th, 10, 5:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Michael

Send a message via AIM to MEJ1990TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveshaft-texas View Post
A piece of emory cloth slipped in a slot hacksawed in end of a short piece of 1/4" dowel rod in a drill will help keep the ID round. Check fit often,a little loose is better than a little tight.Its going to swell with the heat. I have seen the bushing stick to the trans input stub and turn in the crank....makes a rriiiiip noise just as you let out on the clutch,same noise if its way oversize too.
Speak for yourself, man.

I'm looking for a girl with a car, and a house..........with cable.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t164/MEJ1990TM
Old Dec 20th, 10, 7:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

Now what are we talking about ......??
you just couldn't let it go,huh ?
86 Buick Grand National
will satisfy your need for speed but at a price...
And a bunch of other junk.
Old Dec 21st, 10, 6:00 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Some bushings are slightly magnetic and others are not. Mine is. I have heard that most older ones have less iron content and more bronze. In any case, I put my old worn-out bushing (also a Dorman, magnetic piece) on the stove, and voila! It "sweats" oil which seeps out when it's heated!

I installed the bushing into the crank (the engine is installed in the car) by starting it with a lead hammer. I drove it into place with a cut-off piece of wooden broom handle and a 2 pound ball peen hammer. It took about 20 good whacks to drive it flush with the crank flange, which is where I want it. This position allows full engagement, with about 1/16" clearance between the step in the input shaft and the bushing when the trans is mounted on the bellhousing.

I took your advice and checked the fit of the pilot shaft AFTER the bushing is installed in the crank. I put EXACTLY ONE non-overlapping layer of electrical tape over the pilot end of the plastic alignment tool, miked it and it measures EXACTLY same as my trans pilot shaft. The "test" pilot shaft now barely fits into the new bushing which is now installed into the crank. WOW............that means that after installation, that bushing's ID decreased by .004-.005, because I figure I've now got (about) .001 clearance between the shaft and the bushing. You recall that it was .006" before I installed it on the crank. I verified with an extra Dorman bushing I have, and sure enough, it's sloppy at .006" clearance.

Question: Is there any way that a new bushing can be slightly cocked on installation? Since the bushing is 3/4" deep, you would think that it would straighten itself out if it is "started" slightly cocked, but by the time it is driven in to its full depth that it would end up straight. Thoughts? If this is possible, then would it be necessary to use a press to install the bushing on a uninstalled crank in order to ensure the pilot is installed dead straight? Could the bushing have deformed given the way I installed it?

Joe

Last edited by 1965tripleblack; Dec 21st, 10 at 6:18 AM.
Old Dec 21st, 10, 9:41 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Is there any way that a new bushing can be slightly cocked on installation?
Joe
I thought I was a worry wart! Put the transmission in and get some sleep. It will be fine.

Email: jim@hurst-drivelines.com
Old Dec 21st, 10, 9:55 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJim View Post
Joe
I thought I was a worry wart! Put the transmission in and get some sleep. It will be fine.
Wellllllllllll .....................OK I can see why you would say that.

I didn't mention that this is the THIRD fookin' bronze bushing that has gotten boogered (hole expanded about 1/8" bigger than the pilot shaft), over the course of the last few years..............less than 7000 miles.

Trans is a PITA to R&R...............I'm gettin' too old for this crap.

Dunno.......maybe this is normal. If so, then what's the point of the Goddam thing. I would think that normal wear would see MAYBE 1/32" expansion at every clutch change, which would be (about) every 40,000 miles. Or, if you're like me and drive the car like it's supposed to be driven (hard), then every 20,000 miles.

Last edited by 1965tripleblack; Dec 21st, 10 at 10:25 AM.
Old Dec 21st, 10, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Sheepster. BAH!

Used a brand new Lakewood(?) bronze and pulled my trans at 40 miles for a repair. Like yours mine had some wear in it and a small lip part way in.
I left it alone and like you have a little slop in the input shaft, not too bad.
How bad could it be with those miles I thought so left it in.
Old Dec 21st, 10, 9:38 PM
Moderator/Gold 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Used a brand new Lakewood(?) bronze and pulled my trans at 40 miles for a repair. Like yours mine had some wear in it and a small lip part way in.
I left it alone and like you have a little slop in the input shaft, not too bad.

Children, try these guys for the right pilot bushings
www.muncie4speed.com
www.muncie5speed.com
Nothing Shifts Like a Muncie!
Old Dec 23rd, 10, 1:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Children, try these guys for the right pilot bushings
hahaha! You must be getting old too!
Old Dec 24th, 10, 8:46 AM
Moderator/Gold 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by charbilly2001 View Post
hahaha! You must be getting old too!
Two days older than dirt
www.muncie4speed.com
www.muncie5speed.com
Nothing Shifts Like a Muncie!
Old Dec 24th, 10, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965tripleblack View Post
Wellllllllllll .....................OK I can see why you would say that.

I didn't mention that this is the THIRD fookin' bronze bushing that has gotten boogered (hole expanded about 1/8" bigger than the pilot shaft), over the course of the last few years..............less than 7000 miles.

Trans is a PITA to R&R...............I'm gettin' too old for this crap.

Dunno.......maybe this is normal. If so, then what's the point of the Goddam thing. I would think that normal wear would see MAYBE 1/32" expansion at every clutch change, which would be (about) every 40,000 miles. Or, if you're like me and drive the car like it's supposed to be driven (hard), then every 20,000 miles.
You checked the concentric bellhousing alignment but, did you also do a parallel check? The bellhousing parallel alignment spec is +/- .001" or a TIR of .002". Believe it or not, the paint on the face of the bellhousing that mates to the engine block and the trans mating surface may cause the parallel alignment to be out of spec. A parallel alignment check must have all of your bolts installed and torqued for a proper check. Have you verified the concentric alignment is still at .003"? Was your .003" spec TIR or +/-?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
All blow-proof and original bellhousing's need a concentric AND parallel alignment check with a dial indicator. Anytime you see premature pilot bushing wear, something is out of alignment.

Also make sure the bellhousing transmission locating register hole is for a passenger car and not a truck transmission front bearing retainer. This mis-match happens more than you think.

Bottom line: Your concentric alignment must be +/-.005" or .010" TIR and the parallel alignment must be +/-.001" or .002" TIR. It does NOT matter if you are using a TKO, Saginaw, Muncie, ST10, T56, Jerico, or G-Force transmission. It also does not matter what front bearing (radial or cup & cone) is used in any type of transmission. The bellhousing alignment spec is the same for ANY transmission. If not, you will have accelerated pilot bushing wear.

Granted, radial front bearing transmissions are more forgiving with bellhousing alignment specs but, the pilot bushing is not. A pilot bushing does not know what transmission is being used behind it.
610-413-8015
Jody's Transmission Facebook Page
My '70 Chevelle ZZ502/502 ROD 6 Speed
Autogear Muncie Distributor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: Pilot Shaft to Bronze Pilot Bushing Clearance
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.