Chevy 350 2 Bolt Main Build Up. Parts? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Nov 9th, 10, 12:48 AM
Tech Team
Garrett

Lightbulb Chevy 350 2 Bolt Main Build Up. Parts?

Okay so I am soon to purchase this 350 2-bolt main which I plan on making a true 383 stroker motor and I have been doing some research so far I have come across this conclusion...

-Heads it is best to run Dart heads they are superior to the competition
-edelbrock cam and crankshaft combo for reliability and durability in a decent amount of HP
-I plan on running a holley 750 cfm carb with vac advanced secondaries
-moroso high flow oil pump
-edelbrock high rise intake manifold for good even flow
-hooker headers for good exhaust flow and good back pressure

and that is about the extent of what I have seen I do not know what size cam to run yet and exactly which people make the best lifters for a hopeful 500Hp motor. I do want more low end torque to rip me back but I would love to get as close to even on HP/TQ as possible. I would like to keep the budget hopefully around 3500-4000 if possible. I do plan on taking a few years to build this sucker LOL but all the advice from people who have built one before who know what parts give the most bang for the buck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys it's a lot of help,
69camino
Advertisement

Old Nov 9th, 10, 1:23 AM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

Default Re: Chevy 350 2 Bolt Main Build Up. Parts?

AFR heads better than Dart

Edelbrock cams are obsolete design 10 years ago

Edelbrock doesn't make cranks

750 vac sec carb OK, advance is part of the distributor

absolutely no way do you need or want a Hi-Vol oil pump.

Edelbrock manifold good

Hooker headers maybe, many complaints about the quality of their coatings
Old Nov 9th, 10, 6:41 AM
Senior Tech Team

I wouldn't build a 383 out of a 2-bolt block, I've seen enough problems with 2-bolts on hard run 350's. Have splayed main caps installed and you'll be golden.
Edelbrock's cams are out-dated, pick a VooDoo
No reason or need for a high volume or high pressure oil pump, the factory system is fine with stock pressure and volume.
As for Dart's being superior to the competition, I'm sure there are plenty who'll beg to differ. They make a very good cast iron head, but there are plenty of good flowing heads on the market now. I assume you're looking at their Platinums? You might also want to check out GM's Bowtie Vortecs, good looking heads.
Since you don't have all your parts yet, you might want to consider using a 90's model 4-bolt block, the inexpensive OEM hydraulic roller lifters will get you more hp with a more streetable cam than you could get from a flat tappet.

'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks,
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
You better run!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 9th, 10, 7:29 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
I wouldn't build a 383 out of a 2-bolt block, I've seen enough problems with 2-bolts on hard run 350's. Have splayed main caps installed and you'll be golden.
No reason or need for a high volume or high pressure oil pump, the factory system is fine with stock pressure and volume.
As for Dart's being superior to the competition, I'm sure there are plenty who'll beg to differ. They make a very good cast iron head, but there are plenty of good flowing heads on the market now. I assume you're looking at their Platinums? You might also want to check out GM's Bowtie Vortecs, good looking heads.
Since you don't have all your parts yet, you might want to consider using a 90's model 4-bolt block, the inexpensive OEM hydraulic roller lifters will get you more hp with a more streetable cam than you could get from a flat tappet.

Gary which is it as you just wrote this over on the Camaro site HMMMMMM

Quote:
If I spend my coin an an engine only to cringe when I see the tach needle pass 7000 rpm's, worried about my 2-bolt 383 holding up, then I wasted my money at the machinist's shop.
Many folks have successfully done it. Many more have tried it and failed. It's your money, roll the dice. Are you going to be one of the lucky ones or crap out when you drive over your engine parts on the street?
Old Nov 9th, 10, 7:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69camino View Post
Okay so I am soon to purchase this 350 2-bolt main which I plan on making a true 383 stroker motor and I have been doing some research so far I have come across this conclusion...

-Heads it is best to run Dart heads they are superior to the competition
-edelbrock cam and crankshaft combo for reliability and durability in a decent amount of HP
-I plan on running a holley 750 cfm carb with vac advanced secondaries
-moroso high flow oil pump
-edelbrock high rise intake manifold for good even flow
-hooker headers for good exhaust flow and good back pressure

and that is about the extent of what I have seen I do not know what size cam to run yet and exactly which people make the best lifters for a hopeful 500Hp motor. I do want more low end torque to rip me back but I would love to get as close to even on HP/TQ as possible. I would like to keep the budget hopefully around 3500-4000 if possible. I do plan on taking a few years to build this sucker LOL but all the advice from people who have built one before who know what parts give the most bang for the buck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys it's a lot of help,
69camino
500 horse with a stock 2 bolt its nothing I would attempt as I sure have done alot of repairs and had a lot of calls about problems with 2 bolt mains and issues.

Find a good 4 bolt make sure its sonic tested before you spend your money on machine work.

Its nothing I would try but you will here guys who have done and are basing there info on just one engine.
Old Nov 9th, 10, 10:13 PM
Tech Team
Garrett

Quote:

If I take a 90s block would there not be a considerable amount of fabrication needed to make the motor mounts work? My 1998 chevy tahoes 350 vortec has completely different motor mounts then my el camino and that is where I ran into problems with my currrent 350 it is out of a 1972 chevy camaro according to the block casting and I had to fabricate a plate on the mount to the engine compartment to make it work and it broke fast. Thanks for the input guys and about the hi-flow oil pump when talking to gentlemen at swap meets most would tell me that high hp motors might as well throw a hi-flow oil pump to keep it nicely lubed when spinning some upper range rpms. Thanks for the advice though it's greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 9th, 10, 11:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Sheepster. BAH!

A 450-500hp 383 wont have to spin to the moon to make that power. You dont need a crazy oil pump to lubricate the engine. Just saps power anyway.
Chevy has a pretty much fool proof oiling system, the guys that tell you you need 80 lbs all the time are living in caves.

Another vote for the late 4 bolt roller block.
Old Nov 10th, 10, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech Team

If you decide to build the 2-bolt block, do use the ARP main cap studs.

Gee, we never knew in the "old-days" we were living so dangerously making all that horsepower and turning all those RPMs w/a 2-bolt SBC.
Old Nov 10th, 10, 12:35 AM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

what's this stuff he's posting about the motor mounts? Does he have an LSx?
Old Nov 10th, 10, 12:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS N/E View Post
500 horse with a stock 2 bolt its nothing I would attempt as I sure have done alot of repairs and had a lot of calls about problems with 2 bolt mains and issues.

Find a good 4 bolt make sure its sonic tested before you spend your money on machine work.

Its nothing I would try but you will here guys who have done and are basing there info on just one engine.
Whats wrong with a 2 bolt block?I'm running one now fitted with splayed 4 bolt caps.Was at the swap meet this weekend and me and my buds were looking at a 2 and 4 bolt sitting side by side and you could see the 2 bolt was thicker in the webbing area.Looked stronger from that aspect to me.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334859
Old Nov 10th, 10, 7:02 AM
Team Member
Tim Smith

most sbc oem blocks are soft pig iron, easy to find on the cheap and a 2 bolter is not worth spending the extra $100 it costs to grind for 3.75 stroke clearance.....considering.....case in point.... I bought a late model 4-bolt roller, bored and clearanced for $400. And the mount pads are in the same place, don't know what you had going on there w/ your mount deal. hell Carl which one of us is in too big a hurry this AM cuz Gary's posts say samesame to me?

Old Nov 10th, 10, 6:10 PM
Tech Team
Garrett

No the motor is not a ls motor right now and I have no idea why the motor mounts wouldn't match up but I tried 3 different sets from advance auto and none would work but no worries on that, I have been reading up on the vortec heads and they seem relatively cheap in regards to heads and from what I read they give amazing flow compared to other heads.

And cuisinartvette what were you saying about not having to spin to the moon to get 450-500hp out of a 383?

Keep it coming guys this is really narrowing the search down
Old Nov 11th, 10, 6:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1969 View Post
Whats wrong with a 2 bolt block?I'm running one now fitted with splayed 4 bolt caps.Was at the swap meet this weekend and me and my buds were looking at a 2 and 4 bolt sitting side by side and you could see the 2 bolt was thicker in the webbing area.Looked stronger from that aspect to me.
We have splayed alot of 2 bolt and 4 bolt cap blocks over theyears with no problems with either and we sure have seen alot of blocks with cap fretting because of th cap of cap walking. A 3.750 will side load a 2 bolt caps and will try to move them more so then with a 3.480 or shorter stroke.

Why do you think that on a 400 two bolt main GM left the wide caps on the center because of the extra stroke HMMMM

It not the webbing that moves its the caps!!!! And adding studs does not make the caps stronger as they are still a grey caps it just better hardware, Its like putting ARP rod bolts in an old set of rods it does not make them stronger its still an old set of rods with new hardware.

Alot of guys base ALL their info on one engine that has lasted for years HMMM I just wish I could do that as we deal with up to 200 blocks a year and we get alot of feed back through emails and phone calls about issues with SBC and BBC's and 2 bolt caps moving around on the SBC's using a stroker cranks seems to be a problem.

Here is alot of reading

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38173
Old Nov 11th, 10, 7:08 AM
Senior Tech Team

ARP head & main studs are always preferable over bolts.

Likewise, ARP rod bolts are similarly preferable over stock.

Main & rod caps are less prone to cause probs w/o bolt stretch.

Properly assembled, for his purposes, the 2-bolt
should serve fine, operated within safe parameters.

Would everyone like to have a Dart or World block? Sure.
Can everyone afford one? No. Does everyone need one? No.

Sometimes you just do the best you can (afford) w/what you have.
Old Nov 11th, 10, 9:08 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Reliable View Post
ARP head & main studs are always preferable over bolts.

Likewise, ARP rod bolts are similarly preferable over stock.

Main & rod caps are less prone to cause probs w/o bolt stretch.

Properly assembled, for his purposes, the 2-bolt
should serve fine, operated within safe parameters.

Would everyone like to have a Dart or World block? Sure.
Can everyone afford one? No. Does everyone need one? No.

Sometimes you just do the best you can (afford) w/what you have.
Did yo know GM makes a 4 bolts as well and if I am putting my name on something it going to be a block that will meet the customers needs as well as mine.

If 2 bolt blokcs are as good as you say they are why did GM make 4 bolt blocks there must be a reason or maybe youknow more then the engineers at GM who have done their home work LOL

If you build engines for aliving thats good advice, How many engines do you build in a year and stand behind is the big question here!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Chevy 350 2 Bolt Main Build Up. Parts?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.