How to setup an adjustable timing pointer? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Oct 14th, 10, 4:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daniel

Default How to setup an adjustable timing pointer?

Hey guys, I need to setup and install my adjustable timing tab for my BBC 427 and wanted to know what is the best method to get it right?

Currently it's in a long block state with the timing cover installed. I have a summit timing pointer http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-164700/ It comes designed with an adjustment variance in the timing pointer, and wanted to know the best way to set it up.

Should I set it up like degreeing a cam? I was thinking of putting in a piston stop, rotate the motor one way till it hits, mark the spot, then rotate it the other way till it hits and mark the spot, TDC should be right in the middle of that mark if I'm right.

Thanks for the help guys, want to make sure I have this thing right before I go and set myself up way off.

427 BBC, 215 heads, 2.19/1.88 valves with some port work, 60212 Lunati Hyd Roller, 3310 Holley 750, Performer RPM intake, TH350 with shift kit, 3.55 gears 12 bolt posi, Pypes 3 inch kit, it's alive... again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 14th, 10, 4:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Moderator

Default Re: How to setup an adjustable timing pointer?

Sounds like you already know
Old Oct 14th, 10, 4:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Before putting the heads on, set either #1 or #6 (they come to TDC at the same time) to TDC, using a piston stop, and install the pointer lined up to the mark.

Your method of using the stop is correct.
Old Oct 14th, 10, 6:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daniel

Worked great, thanks guys!

427 BBC, 215 heads, 2.19/1.88 valves with some port work, 60212 Lunati Hyd Roller, 3310 Holley 750, Performer RPM intake, TH350 with shift kit, 3.55 gears 12 bolt posi, Pypes 3 inch kit, it's alive... again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: How to setup an adjustable timing pointer?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.