BBC Titanium Valves? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Oct 11th, 10, 11:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ken

Default BBC Titanium Valves?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is running titanium valves in their street/strip big blocks? I'm making some changes to my 540 and started thinking about titanium valves. They are lighter weight (maybe 40%) than steel and are very strong. Just wondering what the downside might be for a street/strip application outside of the cost? I really like running a solid roller cam, but the springs pressures that often accompany these cams causes concerns for the valvetrain longevity. I've recently sent my Red Zone roller lifters back to Isky to have them converted to the EZ-X roller. I'm already running titanium retainers. I know that there are concerns around galling when using titanium. As I understand it, titanium has great properties for strength but not so much for wear. David Reher wrote a pretty good article on the benefits of using Ti valves, and even went as far as to say that he wouldn't hesitate to run them on a streeet engine. What I find curious/puzzling, is that when you look at Manley's table listing for applications where they recommend a Ti valve, you don't see anything for street/strip applications. Manley seems to favor Ti valves for applications where the RPM peak is over 8,000 and/or for high endurance marine stuff. I'm running a 2.3" intake and 1.9" exhaust. I just checked the springs on my engine using my LSM spring pressure tester. The springs were intalled with 300lbs on the seat. The engine has seen dyno time and some street miles. All of the exhaust springs were 295/300lbs. The intakes were at around 280-285lbs. It seems obvious that the added weight of the intake valve is causing the spring to work harder/fatigue faster.

Thoughts?
Good idea, bad idea?
Intake and exhaust or just intake?
Special valve guides required?
Tip hardening?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 11th, 10, 11:43 AM

Default Re: BBC Titanium Valves?

No problem running them on the street for intakes. Most just aren't going to spend $1000 for valves Ken.
Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
Old Oct 11th, 10, 11:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
No problem running them on the street for intakes. Most just aren't going to spend $1000 for valves Ken.
Thanks for the reply, Chris. Do you think it's a wise investment or a waste of money for what I'm trying to do? I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it, too. I want a maximum effort street/strip engine, but I also want to be able to drive it where ever and however I want without worrying about a lifter or a spring failing. I understand that failures can and do happen, I'm looking for ways to minimize the the opportunity for failures. Who are the best manufacturers for Ti valves? Some of the companies I've been looking at are Manley, Ferrea and Liberty. I looked at Rev valves as I've had good luck with them in the past, but they don't appear to make a Ti valve.

P.S. Most people wouldn't spend $700 on an oil pan, either. That's just how I roll
Old Oct 11th, 10, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjett View Post
Thanks for the reply, Chris. Do you think it's a wise investment or a waste of money for what I'm trying to do? I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it, too. I want a maximum effort street/strip engine, but I also want to be able to drive it where ever and however I want without worrying about a lifter or a spring failing. I understand that failures can and do happen, I'm looking for ways to minimize the the opportunity for failures. Who are the best manufacturers for Ti valves? Some of the companies I've been looking at are Manley, Ferrea and Liberty. I looked at Rev valves as I've had good luck with them in the past, but they don't appear to make a Ti valve.

P.S. Most people wouldn't spend $700 on an oil pan, either. That's just how I roll
Anytime you can reduce the weight on the valve side of the rocker arm you are going to see benefits. In your case I would go part of the way....meaning instead of Ti I would run a hollow stem stainless valve.
Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
Old Oct 11th, 10, 12:42 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Ken,
Very pleased to see some newfound enthusiasm being focused toward the 66.

Last Car

Team Chevelle #613
ACES #3920
CAMI (Ireland) #14
CanAm Chevelles #136
Carolina Chevelles #185
Heart Of Dixie #231
Long Island Chevelles #113
Old Oct 11th, 10, 1:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ken

Quote:
Quote:
Anytime you can reduce the weight on the valve side of the rocker arm you are going to see benefits. In your case I would go part of the way....meaning instead of Ti I would run a hollow stem stainless valve.
Thanks, Chris. I'll check into it. FYI... the intake manifold is at Hogan being modified. From there it (and the heads) will be shipped out to be ported. Once I have the flow data I'll get w/you on a cam.
Old Oct 11th, 10, 1:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
Ken,
Very pleased to see some newfound enthusiasm being focused toward the 66.
Thanks, Bill. I've put too much blood, sweat and tears into that car to let it sit any longer. I'm planning on driving the wheels off of it once I get it back on the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: BBC Titanium Valves?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.