Doug Nash 4+1 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Aug 16th, 10, 10:53 PM
Brandon

Default Doug Nash 4+1

Newb here - I recently aquired a 71 Chevelle and am trying to slowly build it the way I want it for street/strip (weekend only driver) - It currently is a 377 sbc, Th350 auto car.

I initially wanted to swap in a 700r4 for the OD but a friend recently called (owns a machine shop) and they have a Doug Nash 4+1 (85-87 vintage) with new bellhousing, new clutch, new flywheel, new reduction starter but it MAY need a rebuild. It does not include a shifter. It was pulled from a 68 camaro.....my cost $800. I also have to add the cost of the pedal and clutch kit, driveline work, etc.

I have researched a lot about the Doug Nash and know it was basically the father to the richmond 5 speed and a close relative to the G-force tranny. I also read that it's shifting characteristics were not viewed as great by many with the common complaint being hard shifting. I would love to have a manual car but I don't want to regret the swap. It also looks appealing that I won't have to spend 3-5k on a new tranny with "kit".

Long winded I know but I'll get to the point. Can I get a rebuild kit for it still and is there a rebuild kit out there that "upgrades" the synchros, etc. to make it a smoother, better shifitng tranny? Anyone out there running one and LOVE it?

Or should I stick with my original idea of a 700r4?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 16th, 10, 11:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Default Re: Doug Nash 4+1

That would be a steal for $800.00. Parts are still available and a lot of upgrades can be used too. There are a lot of ST10 parts that cross reference and some Ford ZF stuff.

I have a 4+1 Hurst shifter somewhere in my stash for cheap if you buy the trans.
610-413-8015
Jody's Transmission Facebook Page
My '70 Chevelle ZZ502/502 ROD 6 Speed
Autogear Muncie Distributor
Old Aug 17th, 10, 12:43 AM
Brandon

Thanx for the response - from reading your other posts regarding the Nash 5 speeds, I think using a Long h pattern would be the best choice
Old Aug 17th, 10, 7:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

do you want a stick or automatic?
the Nash/Richmond makes up the low gears in the trans, 5th is 1-1, the 700R is an overdrive
so you have to look at what rear gears you want, or need to change
i had a Nash many years ago, ran something like 3.08-3.31's cant remember
they had a street and race version, i think the race vs. was a mag. case
Old Aug 17th, 10, 7:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

I've been using a DN 4 + 1 5 speed for 9 years now in my Monte SS and I love it !! Yes,it does shift a bit hard,but you get used to it after a while.Mine has been rebuilt,its hard to get parts from Richmond here in Canada,so all my parts come from Brian at S K Performance in Long Island NY.And if you gear it right,its almost like having an OD.I'm running a 3.0:1 rear gear and with the 3.28 first gear,its the mathamtatical equivalant of a 4.1:0 in first gear,and it cruises at 25-2600 rpm on the highway at the speed limit,which is ideal for my engine.One thing I have learnt is that if there is any play in the shifter rods,it will lock up in gear when shifting.
Guy
800 Mighty Demon,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst InLine Shifter,
UDHarold custom grind solid roller,
#BBC 274/280R112
.668 Lift,243/249 dur @ .050,112 LSA
TC Member # 4921
Old Aug 17th, 10, 11:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyresq View Post
Thanx for the response - from reading your other posts regarding the Nash 5 speeds, I think using a Long h pattern would be the best choice
Yes, Long's shifter is by far the best you can buy for the 4+1. But, there is a price to pay for quality, you can expect to pay at least $500.00 for the Long Machine shifter.
610-413-8015
Jody's Transmission Facebook Page
My '70 Chevelle ZZ502/502 ROD 6 Speed
Autogear Muncie Distributor
Old Aug 17th, 10, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

I ran the Richmond version with a Long Shifter, and I loved it... I didn't have any issues with the trans seeming to shift hard, but I was used to a Muncie... I think they might be harder to shift that a new modern (internal rail) transmission, but not really hard at all...

I was building a new rearend, so I opted for a set od (GM used) 2.73 on a 2-series posi I picked up on Ebay... Mine had the 3.04:1 first ( Road Race version), and it was a fun transmission... And an easy swap...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Old Aug 17th, 10, 2:07 PM
Team Member
Tom

Doug Nash was in financial trouble, and Richmond bought the tranny/design-------for all practical purposes, the LATER D-
N 4+1 and the R5sp are the same-----------only the logo cast on the tail housings are different.
I have a Richmond 5sp in the Cutlass behind an Olds 455 with a Hurst shifter. And YES, when cold, the R5sp is kind of stiff. Once it is warmed up, as well as in the warmer months, it is fine. EVERYTHING I have, except the Cutlass, has a M20 Muncie. The Muncies always shift smooth and easy. The Richmond has a much more positive feel when going into gear (sometimes there is doubt if a Muncie is fully engaged, but you KNOW FOR SURE when the Richmond is engaged!). The regular Richmond Street 5sp has a 3.27 1st gear, which is GREAT for high geared rears (such as a 2.73, 3.08, etc). But for a car with a 3.70 or 4.11 rear, that 3.27 1st gear is almost like a truck in granny gear. My Cutlass has its original 2.41 posi rear and the R5sp is a perfect combination with it.
Also, as I understand, the Long MAY be a better shifte than the Hurst, but I have ZERO grief with the Hurst on my R5sp. If you have an opportunity to get a Hurst 5sp shifter at a bargain basement price, I'D JUMP ON IT!!!!! And, with that in mind, when I bought my R5sp and Hurst shifter, I also ordered the real long shifter handle (I just kind of like that NASCAR shifter look ).

#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Old Aug 17th, 10, 2:18 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Yup, I'm back to the ultra-smooth shifting M20, and while the shifting was hard and notchy as compared to a Munice, everything is as compared to a Muncie.

Miss that 11:1 1st gear ratio! For sure! And my ride will never cross the 1/4 mi stripe at 6750 rpms anymore, unless I stick 4.33s in the azz end!

Nash will sit approx 1.5" back from the Muncie mount. The only area in the tunnel I had to heat and ball peen slightly was where the forward shift rod liked to hit the floor when you banged 4th gear. Otherwise, easy swap.
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Old Aug 17th, 10, 10:04 PM
Tech Team
FRANK

I have a 4+1 behind my 509 along with a super shifter with 4:11 and 33-22-15 and love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevelle 008.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	33581  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: Doug Nash 4+1
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.