Package Tray/Rear seat divider install - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

Old Aug 5th, 10, 4:30 PM
Joe

Default Package Tray/Rear seat divider install

Trying to get some (supposed) menial tasks done on my 71 Chevelle. I bought a new package tray with insulation as well as the rear seat divider with insulation. You think they would include intructions for a monkey like me but they don't. Dumb question....I assume the insulation goes directly underneath the package tray? If so...is it glued the the metal. How does the package tray install over the insulation? Is glue prety much what is used to install any of this stuff?

I haven't taken my back seat out yet, but I'm assuming it should be easy to install the divider. Does the insulation go inside towards the trunk. or outside towards the seat? Thanks for any advice.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 5th, 10, 8:55 PM
Team Member
Buck

Default Re: Package Tray/Rear seat divider install

As i recall you need to take out the sail panels and back seat. I didn't glue the pad down.
Tuck the ends up under the sail panels and reinstall them. then on the front of the tray i pulled it down and glued it to the back wall behind the seat and put the seat back in. The mesh trays seem to unravel after a couple years of sun so the last time i built my own with a thin plywood backer with a thin foam sheet over it and put black leather material over that. It's the sharpest one i have had in the car since i bought it.
Chris Straub full roller setup.
SBC Legend Hyd Roller Cam Retro .510/.492 221/223
108 Sep

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2da74af8.jpg
Old Aug 13th, 10, 9:46 AM
Tech Team
tom

I just did my '70 a week ago. Dontwant2 is right. However, I didn't glue my package tray down, or the padding. The rear seat will hold the front of the package tray down. You should have about 3 or 4 inches of material on the front of the package tray that the rear seat presses against. Do like Dontwant2 says about the sail panels. I used a waterproof 3/16 fiberboard, that I had covered, for my package tray. Put the padding down (dont forget it all goes under the bottom metal strip that goes around the bottom of the rear window), package tray, replace sail panels, re-install rear seat. Don't forget the wiring for the rear speakers.

Tom
Old Aug 13th, 10, 10:23 AM
Banned

My wife and I did ours one Saturday evening last summer.Here is another tip no one mentioned.Beer should not be involved when cutting for rear defogger and speaker.

One of these days I'll get the new one in.
Old Aug 13th, 10, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandsport View Post
My wife and I did ours one Saturday evening last summer.Here is another tip no one mentioned.Beer should not be involved when cutting for rear defogger and speaker.

One of these days I'll get the new one in.
Involving beer in any part of the build is usually a bad idea. One always leads to another and you either stop and dont finish, come up with a real bad / unsafe approach or fubar the job entirely and end up with poor end results.

Hmmm.....guess that could be said of beer and "relations" as well. Been times I should of had an out of order sign hanging from my zipper.
Old Aug 16th, 10, 10:10 AM
Tech Team
tom

Been there done that....HAHAHAHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Interiors      Current Topic: Package Tray/Rear seat divider install
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.