Difference between midnight blue pearl and midnight blue metallic? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Jul 13th, 10, 7:22 AM
Jordan

Default Difference between midnight blue pearl and midnight blue metallic?

I want to paint my 71 ss midnight blue but cant figure out the difference between the pearl or metallic. They look the same in the shade but whats the difference when there in the sun, different agnels ext.. ext.. I also want to do a black ss stripe and i dont like how in some pictures the black stripe seems gray at certain angels is flat tuxedo black the way to go on the stripe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 13th, 10, 7:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Default Re: Difference between midnight blue pearl and midnight blue metallic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71ssfan View Post
the difference between the pearl or metallic.
One is a metallic. has metallic in the paint.
The other is pearl based. has pearl in the paint.

http://www.autos.com/auto-repair/met...earl-car-paint

___

Old Jul 13th, 10, 7:52 AM
Jordan

yeah but when you look at them whats the difference, lighter darker shinnier
Old Jul 13th, 10, 8:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71ssfan View Post
yeah but when you look at them whats the difference, lighter darker shinnier
yes. no. maybe.
I gave you a link that explains what the difference is.
If you don't get it, I can't help.

___

Old Jul 13th, 10, 9:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mark

I would recommend using both methods. Use the metallic in the blue, then put a hint of pearl in the clearcoat.

A painter recommended that mix to me years ago when he repainted a car of mine, and it came out incredible. Couldn't see the pearl so much at night, but in the sun WOW. The metallic is a bit more subdued, the pearl makes it pop IMO.

1970 SS396
Lewis Racing Engines (Wolfplace) 489:
634 HP @ 6000rpm
627 Lb-ft @ 4,000rpm

ProSystems SV1
Gear Vendors Overdrive
Moser 12 Bolt
Alumitech Radiator
Pypes Exhaust

Dyno
'70 Chevelle
'70 Chevelle 2
Old Jul 13th, 10, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme70SS396 View Post
I would recommend using both methods. Use the metallic in the blue, then put a hint of pearl in the clearcoat.

A painter recommended that mix to me years ago when he repainted a car of mine, and it came out incredible. Couldn't see the pearl so much at night, but in the sun WOW. The metallic is a bit more subdued, the pearl makes it pop IMO.
I just read your response. Sound interesting. How much pearl is put in the clear? Is that clear topcoated then with plain clear? Most likely the clear will need wet sanded and polished. Im not sure if clear with pearl would be able to be sanded and polished.
Old Jul 13th, 10, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
I just read your response. Sound interesting. How much pearl is put in the clear? Is that clear topcoated then with plain clear? Most likely the clear will need wet sanded and polished. Im not sure if clear with pearl would be able to be sanded and polished.
I do it when painting bikes. Amount of pearl concentration depends on intensity desired. You have to shoot test panels to verify because there are so many combinations and possibilities. The pearl is so fine that it's appearance in not compromized and shooting straight clear over it is not always necessary. Or just use it in the first two coats. Clearing mainly but not always, applies to heavier flakes, depending on the size, of which many are available. You can also add pearls and flakes to a carrier and clear over that, like a tri-stage. Go to HOK for more info. Their entire product lineup and TDS can be downloaded. You can buy pearls from others as well. Sanding pearls in clear is not like sanding a basecoat where distruption is obvious and slaps you in the face. There are many different colors of pearls available. Forget about getting an accurate view on-line, they need to be viewed in person.
Old Jul 13th, 10, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
I do it when painting bikes. Amount of pearl concentration depends on intensity desired. You have to shoot test panels to verify because there are so many combinations and possibilities. The pearl is so fine that it's appearance in not compromized and shooting straight clear over it is not always necessary. Or just use it in the first two coats. Clearing mainly but not always, applies to heavier flakes, depending on the size, of which many are available. You can also add pearls and flakes to a carrier and clear over that, like a tri-stage. Go to HOK for more info. Their entire product lineup and TDS can be downloaded. You can buy pearls from others as well. Sanding pearls in clear is not like sanding a basecoat where distruption is obvious and slaps you in the face. There are many different colors of pearls available. Forget about getting an accurate view on-line, they need to be viewed in person.

I have used DBC500 (unpigmented basecoat) as a "carrier" for pearls and heavy metallics.
Heavier concentrations of the pearls will tend to move less around body lines than they would in a clear. I can get a bit of a puddling effect of the pearl if I used it in a clear unless I was really light on the pearl amount.
I have seen it to be much easier for a beginner to use the DBC500 method.
Old Jul 13th, 10, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNova View Post
I have used DBC500 (unpigmented basecoat) as a "carrier" for pearls and heavy metallics.
Heavier concentrations of the pearls will tend to move less around body lines than they would in a clear. I can get a bit of a puddling effect of the pearl if I used it in a clear unless I was really light on the pearl amount.
I have seen it to be much easier for a beginner to use the DBC500 method.
DBC 500 is the same as HOK SG100 but not the same as HOK SG150 pearl and flake carrier, which suspends and locks the particles better, especially heavier ones. HOK does not have a hardener for the SG100 whereas DBC 500 does. Yes, it would be easier for a novice just to shoot the tri-stage, and less room for financial despair. That is why I mentioned it. Knowledge comes with experience and errors, and I've made plenty.
Old Jul 13th, 10, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

I really wasnt thinking when I asked how much pearl. I know it all depends on how much. Just like candies change with each coat. I was more less questioning the clear with pearl being cut and buffed.
I have all the HOK color chips and tech sheets. And you are right about the part where you have to see the actual painted panel ,if you want to get a true picture of the color.
Old Jul 13th, 10, 2:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
I'm really not sure of the answers - I knew the guy that did it (an artist), and I trusted his judgement. I know when he told me what he wanted to do, he said he didn't want that much pearl, just enough to make it pop. I'm sure he either knew how much from experience or ran a test panel.

1970 SS396
Lewis Racing Engines (Wolfplace) 489:
634 HP @ 6000rpm
627 Lb-ft @ 4,000rpm

ProSystems SV1
Gear Vendors Overdrive
Moser 12 Bolt
Alumitech Radiator
Pypes Exhaust

Dyno
'70 Chevelle
'70 Chevelle 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Difference between midnight blue pearl and midnight blue metallic?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.