Holley 4500 Dominator 1050 CFM - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jul 12th, 10, 3:24 PM
Tech Team
Larry

Default Holley 4500 Dominator 1050 CFM

I have this carb installed on my 496 BB and at Idle all I can smell is fuel (running rich) so I was tuning the air/fuel mixture screws and it never cleared up. So whats next, Jetting? Does anyone know what size the jets are that came in the Carb. I am running a Pro billet distributor from MSD along with their 6AL ignition box and blaster coil so I know I am getting enough spark. Please help me this is driving me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 12th, 10, 3:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Moderator

Default Re: Holley 4500 Dominator 1050 CFM

Main jet's have nothing to do with idle unless your RPM's are so high that your out of the idle circuit.
Try a search as this has been discussed numerous times.
Old Jul 12th, 10, 9:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Larry,

It depends on which version of the carb you have. HP version? 2 or 3 circuit?

To fix a rich idle you are going to have to restrict (REDUCE) the idle feed restrictor (fuel) in the metering block or INCREASE the air bleed in the main body or both.

If you aren't running a primary power valve, I would highly recommend it if you intend to cruise with the carb.
3555 lbs
1.40 - 60', 6.18 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th
Old Jul 12th, 10, 10:32 PM
Tech Team

Could easily be a bad power valve, if it has one in it.
Old Jul 13th, 10, 2:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacer View Post
Larry,

It depends on which version of the carb you have. HP version? 2 or 3 circuit?

To fix a rich idle you are going to have to restrict (REDUCE) the idle feed restrictor (fuel) in the metering block or INCREASE the air bleed in the main body or both.

If you aren't running a primary power valve, I would highly recommend it if you intend to cruise with the carb.
I think that Jason is on the right track here^... but in case you don't already know this, Dominators are known for being some of the worst carbs for street cruising, or for any part throttle operation for that matter. They're intended mostly for full throttle operation, and above 3,000 RPM, and that's where they shine.

Some aftermarket companies have come out with their own versions of Dominator carbs which have the circuits extensively re-worked in order to tame the typical Dominator trade mark of being overly rich during any part throttle inputs. AED is one of those companies, offering their "Pro Street" Dominator carb. Good luck with yours.
Old Jul 13th, 10, 2:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

If it is an older 8896 it was jetted 88 square when new.( mine was anyway)

I say older meaning before the HP version, which is 8896-1. Don't know what they have.

Dominators are not intended for a street car. They are for racing so I think getting it to idle clean will take some "know how."
]
Anyhow, I don't know if it is true for a dominator but on a 4150 if the idle mixture screws do nothing when you turn them, that usually means you have the throtle speed screw adjusted in far enough to uncover the transfer slot in the base plate,which causes you to pull fuel from the main circuit rather than the idle circuit.
Old Jul 13th, 10, 7:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Billy and Todd,

A well tuned dominator can work just fine on the street. Good starting, good idle, good off idle, and obviously at WOT.

They don't just get there by themselves though out of the box
3555 lbs
Old Jul 13th, 10, 2:13 PM
Tech Team
Larry

Thanks Guys. My car is not intended for a avid crusier just something to play with on the street and strip with some mild and very short in-town trips.
Old Jul 13th, 10, 2:14 PM
Tech Team
Larry

Quote:
Billy and Todd,

A well tuned dominator can work just fine on the street. Good starting, good idle, good off idle, and obviously at WOT.

Can you point me in the right direction to getting my carb a little more streetability?

Well at least not smelling like Fuel at idle?
Old Jul 13th, 10, 7:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Quote:
Billy and Todd,

That's why I said it will take some "know how"
Old Jul 13th, 10, 9:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry87 View Post
Can you point me in the right direction to getting my carb a little more streetability?

Well at least not smelling like Fuel at idle?
Larry,

Let's start at the basics:

1.) What RPM do you need your car/engine to idle and idle in gear?
2.) What is your fuel pressure at idle? IMO - Don't exceed 7 psi.
3.) Set front float level so that fuel just dribbles out of the sight plug at idle. The rear can be a little higher, but don't get carried away.
4.) Set both the front and rear throttle blades to no more than ~.040" of transition slot exposed. That is your max setting. You can close them from this setting, but don't open further to achieve more idle speed.
5.) Typical jetting is 88/88 with no power valve. Put 80/88 with a power valve in the front. Start with a PV with a vacuum reading a couple of in-Hg below your idle vacuum.
6.) Adjust the 4-corner idle screws for the highest idle RPM in gear. If you don't have a helper, set it to the highest vacuum or highest RPM at idle.
7.) Back to #4, Do NOT open the throttle blades anymore if idle is still too low. Only close if too high. If idle RPM is still too low, you are going to have to bypass some more air at idle. There are a couple of ways to do this on a Dominator.

Let us know what you get when you get to that point and we can go from there.
3555 lbs
Old Jul 14th, 10, 1:04 AM
Tech Team
matt

Quote:
Billy and Todd,

X2... Dominators can run just fine on the street. They just take a little time to get right. I've got 2 1050's on my blown 496, and the ran is ran on the street all the time. Never had any issues with idling, or starting, just took a little while to get right.

68 Chevelle
BBC 496, Dart 325's, 10-71 blower
1050 dominators, ford 9' ladder bar
400 trans with brake. 10' converter

Old Jul 14th, 10, 11:26 AM
Tech Team
Larry

Quote:
Larry,

Let's start at the basics:

1.) What RPM do you need your car/engine to idle and idle in gear?
2.) What is your fuel pressure at idle? IMO - Don't exceed 7 psi.
3.) Set front float level so that fuel just dribbles out of the sight plug at idle. The rear can be a little higher, but don't get carried away.
4.) Set both the front and rear throttle blades to no more than ~.040" of transition slot exposed. That is your max setting. You can close them from this setting, but don't open further to achieve more idle speed.
5.) Typical jetting is 88/88 with no power valve. Put 80/88 with a power valve in the front. Start with a PV with a vacuum reading a couple of in-Hg below your idle vacuum.
6.) Adjust the 4-corner idle screws for the highest idle RPM in gear. If you don't have a helper, set it to the highest vacuum or highest RPM at idle.
7.) Back to #4, Do NOT open the throttle blades anymore if idle is still too low. Only close if too high. If idle RPM is still too low, you are going to have to bypass some more air at idle. There are a couple of ways to do this on a Dominator.

Let us know what you get when you get to that point and we can go from there.
I am running the 8896-1 Dominator. So with that here is the answers to the following questions.

1. I would say 700 to 1200 rpm at idle and I am running a manual transmission.
2. Fuel pressure is at 6 - 7psi

I checked the fuel floats but I double check them later on this week. I'll start from there. I do not have any vacuum ports so I have been thinking about tapping my carb spacer for one Since I do have a vacuum gauge installed in the car.
Old Jul 14th, 10, 12:03 PM
Tech Team
Mark W.

How much cam shaft,what heads,how much compression?This 4500 may be just to BIG of a carb for your combination.If you can get your hands on a good 850,give it a try.Mark.
Old Jul 14th, 10, 12:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermart View Post
How much cam shaft,what heads,how much compression?This 4500 may be just to BIG of a carb for your combination.If you can get your hands on a good 850,give it a try.Mark.
This^ is a very good point. How high are you reving this 496 engine? And what cam and combustion chamber size is in it? I have a 1050 CFM Dominator carb on my 632 CID engine with a camshaft that has a 268/271 duration @.050 and a power peak of 5,900 RPM. If you're not winding this 496 engine past 7,000 RPM, then you might not need such a big carb. In that case, even if you jet it down, the venturi cross sections might be too big, and might provide a weak signal due to lack of adequate air velocity.
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Holley 4500 Dominator 1050 CFM
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.