Priming the Quadrajet - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jul 6th, 10, 3:37 PM
Tech Team
John

Default Priming the Quadrajet

This seems like a silly question...

Is priming my quadrajet as easy as pouring gas in through the vent in front of and between the primaries?

I replaced the cam/lifters/chain etc on my 100k mile 327. The cam is a Summit hydraulic FT. I followed the information in the cam break in thread and I'm just about ready to start this thing. I'd like to get some gas in the carb as instructed so it will fire right off.

This project started of as a simple balancer/damper replacement and snowballed into a bunch of "while I'm in there" replacements. It's a lot offirsts for me so I'm a little apprehensive but ready for the "first start".

Thanks!
97 E250 Cargo Van
05 Grand Caravan "Hers"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 6th, 10, 4:01 PM
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Default Re: Priming the Quadrajet

Yes. I make a small funnel out of paper and tape to fit in it. Pour about 2 oz of gas in the vent and pump the throttle til you get an accel pump shot.
von '69 300 Dlx SS '69 Malibu TC #15 ACES #1575 HSCA #5
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...m/DSCN1135.JPG
[img]
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...m/DSCN1397.JPG
Old Jul 6th, 10, 8:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

I use a rubber hose to fill the carb. I also, have just had some one pour a little gas in the carb, as you try to start, and just a couple turns the pump will fill it, may have to pour prime a couple times.
Old Jul 6th, 10, 9:20 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

jb,
I just give it a shot of 2+2 or Gumout carb cleaner down the primaries and it will fire right up. Might have to do it twice to get the fuel pumped up to the carb.

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
Old Jul 6th, 10, 9:28 PM
Team Member

" Do not " pour fuel into a carb while trying to fire it up at the same time post a cam & lifter insall when the timing may not be spot on or maybe have a couple plug wores mixed up causing it to spit back/backfire thru the carb.

If the carb/motor spits /backfires thru the carb while priming with fuel it will lite up the person and the fuel container at the same time.

I saw somone do that once and when the motor spit fire thru the carb it set the fuel container on fire and the guy holding it . In a panic he thru it asside setting the garage and car on fire from the ignited fuel splashing al over the place ,it wasnt a pretty site and he was slightly burned too but thank goodness not badly burned .

Fill the carb thru the vent as Von stated to do and you should be fine and also have the aircleaner installed too in car it backfires thru the carb.

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
Old Jul 6th, 10, 11:46 PM
Tech Team
John

Hi Guys - thanks for the tips. I filled through the vent as described, slipped the air cleaner on and it fired right off. Cam break in seemed to go fine. Temps OK, no clattering lifters, etc.

Scott - I learned the hard way about backfires through the carb 17 years ago when working on my brother in law's Pontiac 350. A couple of things I'll never forget:
- Pontiacs have the same firing order as Chevys
- Pontiac distributors rotate the opposite way vs Chevy
- Pontiacs spit fire through the carb when wired like a Chevy
- Don't reach over the carb to the distributor when trying to start a Pontiac wired as a Chevy
- Hair smells bad when it's burnt...
97 E250 Cargo Van
05 Grand Caravan "Hers"
Old Jul 7th, 10, 9:13 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Cheap haircut!

Good work on the fire up!
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Old Jul 7th, 10, 1:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
jb,
I just give it a shot of 2+2 or Gumout carb cleaner down the primaries and it will fire right up. Might have to do it twice to get the fuel pumped up to the carb.
it is sooo much easier to just pour some gas in the bowl and start it up.
just pour a little gas in. pump the carb a couple of times to get it into the accelerator pump circuit and set the choke, then start it up like normal. if the fuel pump is working properly, it will have enough gas in the carb to run until it starts pumping gas into the carb.

-Hank Hill
Old Jul 7th, 10, 1:10 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
Hi Guys - thanks for the tips. I filled through the vent as described, slipped the air cleaner on and it fired right off. Cam break in seemed to go fine. Temps OK, no clattering lifters, etc.

Scott - I learned the hard way about backfires through the carb 17 years ago when working on my brother in law's Pontiac 350. A couple of things I'll never forget:
- Pontiacs have the same firing order as Chevys
- Pontiac distributors rotate the opposite way vs Chevy
- Pontiacs spit fire through the carb when wired like a Chevy
- Don't reach over the carb to the distributor when trying to start a Pontiac wired as a Chevy
- Hair smells bad when it's burnt...
Congrats on your successfull fireup & cam breakin!!!!

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Priming the Quadrajet
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.