Cold Air intake for us carburated people - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Old Jun 15th, 10, 8:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
-Allan-

Default Cold Air intake for us carburated people

Has anyone seen this from Spectre? http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.901272

Anyone using it or is there anything similar on the market?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 15th, 10, 9:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Default Re: Cold Air intake for us carburated people

I was looking at these ages ago: http://www.ramairbox.com/

For Sale: '71 Complete A/C PM Me
Old Jun 15th, 10, 9:54 AM
Senior Tech Team

Just spotted it last week or so. Have been looking at it and I think I may give it a try when my car gets to that point sometime in the next 10 years.

I'll be on the road next year this time. I know I could do something similar with parts or make one myself but im lazy in my old age, dig the pulled inners / old school look, appears it would be functional (worth minimal to little in terms of performance I suspect) but I like it. Probably change it over to a black chrome type coating.
Old Jun 15th, 10, 9:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Stu

How great is the temp difference between a regular filter and where these draw in air when the car is moving? And how do these metal tubes not get hot and retain that heat when the car is sitting still. Really doubt there could be much if any use for these, but they look kind of cool. Not $600 cool though.
Old Jun 15th, 10, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
How great is the temp difference between a regular filter and where these draw in air when the car is moving? And how do these metal tubes not get hot and retain that heat when the car is sitting still. Really doubt there could be much if any use for these, but they look kind of cool. Not $600 cool though.
Draws air from behind removed tailights so outside air. Standard drawing air from underhood heat so I figure there has to be a consistent difference in temps - outside the engine bay, inside the engine bay - no? Tubes shouldnt get seriously hot because they have outside air being pulled through them to the carb which shouldnt be a real heat source to send heat back up the tubes. I'd figure it would get about as hot as the top of your current air filter set up gets now after driving. I havent ever burnt my hands taking off the air filter on a hot motor, no reason this intake setup should get any hotter in terms of heat transfer to the tubes. But agree with minimal performance gains. Seems every single cold air set up I have ever seen from cowl induction to any other is very minimal but I still like it for some reason myself.
Old Jun 15th, 10, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
-Allan-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth71 View Post
I was looking at these ages ago: http://www.ramairbox.com/
I saw those too and was figuring out how to do a cowl induction a while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
Just spotted it last week or so. Have been looking at it and I think I may give it a try when my car gets to that point sometime in the next 10 years.

I'll be on the road next year this time. I know I could do something similar with parts or make one myself but im lazy in my old age, dig the pulled inners / old school look, appears it would be functional (worth minimal to little in terms of performance I suspect) but I like it. Probably change it over to a black chrome type coating.
I could also, I have no time to search parts and put thinking into it, I just wanna get the kit and bolt it in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
That's a good point, looks like it takes the air coming up from the front inside of the fenderwells, battery definitely has to go in the trunk. I saw others they have that you remove the high beams and the air intake takes the place of the headlight.

My hood hits my air cleaner even with a drop base, I've got the back of it raised up but it looks like crap. Either I find a very low profile solution, a lower intake manifold (not gonna happen) or I get a hood with a scoop and change it out for my 68 SS hood...

Old Jun 15th, 10, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteOwlNY View Post

I could also, I have no time to search parts and put thinking into it, I just wanna get the kit and bolt it in...
Older I get the more that becomes my motto.
Old Jun 15th, 10, 10:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Don't take this the wrong way but, everyone I've met in the tuner world considers Spectre products to be junk. If these folks wouldn't even consider using their piping couplers, I wouldn't consider them for any part of my chevelle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
Being politically correct is kinda like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Lurking around again after a long hiatus...
Old Jun 15th, 10, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPac View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but, everyone I've met in the tuner world considers Spectre products to be junk. If these folks wouldn't even consider using their piping couplers, I wouldn't consider them for any part of my chevelle.
But they love loud 16 second rides with no seats and a rollbar with a NOS sticker on it? Aint that like saying a bunch of vegetarians stated that slow cooked brisket is terrible so I shouldnt try it?

Maybe thats a sign I SHOULD use it.

Looks like it would add form and a bit of function, has me curious. Its the style I would like so maybe if its junk will just go back to designing my own of the same style. Dont want cowl induction, want cold air, dig the routing and style of it. And now ya killed it by telling me the honda guys with neon lights and tornado intakes think its junk. Damn.
Old Jun 15th, 10, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
But they love loud 16 second rides with no seats and a rollbar with a NOS sticker on it? Aint that like saying a bunch of vegetarians stated that slow cooked brisket is terrible so I shouldnt try it?

Maybe thats a sign I SHOULD use it.

Looks like it would add form and a bit of function, has me curious. Its the style I would like so maybe if its junk will just go back to designing my own of the same style. Dont want cowl induction, want cold air, dig the routing and style of it. And now ya killed it by telling me the honda guys with neon lights and tornado intakes think its junk. Damn.

I know you know the difference between ricers, posers and actual tuners. Give them their props as they are the hotrodders of NOW, as we were the hotrodders of THEN.

Looking at the design, there's dead air in those spots on the fenders. Unless you were to open air access, I don't see how it will be much colder than ambient everywhere else in the engine compartment. Remove the outer headlights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
Being politically correct is kinda like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Lurking around again after a long hiatus...
Old Jun 15th, 10, 12:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Quote:
I know you know the difference between ricers, posers and actual tuners. Give them their props as they are the hotrodders of NOW, as we were the hotrodders of THEN.

Looking at the design, there's dead air in those spots on the fenders. Unless you were to open air access, I don't see how it will be much colder than ambient everywhere else in the engine compartment. Remove the outer headlights?
I saw that system, and I was thinking to add a bit more tubing and run the tube THROUGH the inner fenders ( like UNDER the battery tray)... You could possibly retain the battery location, AND get some cooler outside air...

I was also lookinf at my "Spoilers by Randy" spoiler and thinking of like "brake cooling ducts", but used for the intake air...

My big problem, is that for the $525+, it still looks like a somewhat cheesy "kit"... I take that back, partially... I guess the cheesy-ness was when I was looking at all the "build it yourself" pieces, the prebent pipes don't look too bad...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Old Jun 15th, 10, 1:07 PM
Team Member
Jake

The cold air is a great idea. I think there are varying opinions about how much it will increase performance. It is cool to me, I want a dual snorkel cold air setup on my car. I won't use cone style open element filters, in my opinion they do not belong on a carbed muscle car.

I'd like to have one of these.

Yes, it is Spectre, but how do you mess one of these up? There are a few other manufacturers that offer them, and some on ebay as well. You can run piping or flexible tubing, and keep the advantage of a round filter and domed housing. With something similar to this on the end of each tube...

Not so big, but that is rectangular, so as to fit right under the bumper or along the sides of the radiator. .

edit...

Some of these pieces would make a clean kit. also the early 80s 305 HO cars had a neat dual snorkel setup.

I do all my own stunts.

Last edited by Highway Star; Jun 15th, 10 at 2:11 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 10, 1:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

You could always use the 68-9 442 setup, diagram here:
http://www.yearone.com/pco/3_0510/full.asp?page=149

The bumper scoops would work on our cars, and easily adapted to an air cleaner.
67 El Camino - Sold
Old Jun 15th, 10, 3:28 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:

Was only foolin about the ricer folks hotrod....err....programmers / tuners.

Yes, I was referring to the system where the highbeams are removed and the tubing / connectors used in place. Spectre makes them but they arent on the site. I know others make them as well. Brushed or polished inlet and you retain your headlights rings. Have seen them with inline conical filters that sit in the tube.

Guess theres all kinds of options for this but yeah, I was referring to the old through the highbeam intake.
Old Jun 15th, 10, 11:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Resident A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteOwlNY View Post
Has anyone seen this from Spectre? http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.901272

Anyone using it or is there anything similar on the market?
The spectre stuff is actually really high quality. Their dress up stuff is crap but I came across a 4" tight 90 elbow they make that runs for 22 bucks. A lot of LS swaps Ive done uses this very elbow do to tight clearance of the radiator and fan. I can vouch that their silcone couplers are well worth the cash.

When I saw the airboxes at the first Pleasanton show this year, I was impressed with the quality of the products. For turbo guys, the split intakes are just the ticket. Im building a car using their stuff for the induction exclusivley due to price and the fact that it actually is good quality.

Stay away from the hose braid and chrome crap but this is a much better deal in the way of quality. Their filters are even pretty damn nice and kill K&N in price as well.

Truth be told Id use most of their higher end parts. Dress up stuff (the stuff bought at Pep Boys or Kragen) is another story.
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Pro Touring      Current Topic: Cold Air intake for us carburated people
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.