Updated Color for Cordovan Maroon Met.(NN) - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Apr 16th, 10, 6:04 PM
Randy

Default Updated Color for Cordovan Maroon Met.(NN)

I am in the process of a complete body off restoration of a 68 SS. Its original color was Cordovan Maroon Met.(NN). Is their a updated / modern paint that matches this color? I want the same color but would like it to be a better quality than it would be with the original.
Cheers,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 16th, 10, 6:31 PM
Tech Team
Keith

Default Re: Updated Color for Cordovan Maroon Met.(NN)

You should be able to take that paint code "NN" to any good paint supplier and get a good match using todays paint technology. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 16th, 10, 8:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Smile Re: Updated Color for Cordovan Maroon Met.(NN)

NN is PPG Code 50775. Note that not all colors are available in all paint types. For instance: Some may be available in DBU but not in DBC. Others may be a direct mix or an offset, which is close but requires tweaking. Some don't even come close and require further tinting to reach the target. Prodigy Customs had no luck with anyone getting close to Corvette Bronze and ended up mixing his own from Sikkens. I asked Frank in regards to that color because I needed it right. Companies vary in their availablity, and most importantly, color accuracy. Not trying to scare anyone, just giving you a heads up. If anyone knows of another way or source to get Corvette Bronze dead on balls accurate I'd be interested.
And: If you choose a lower line basecoat such as Omni instead of DBU for instance, you will not get a good color match. That's the sacrifice you make for the savings. Often as much as $50 per quart. DBC is the most coin. The coverage is also less with Omni so should tinting sealers increases coverage. Just using PPG as an example.

Last edited by Raven1; Apr 16th, 10 at 9:21 PM.
Old Apr 17th, 10, 2:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

I would agree that if you went to 4 different suppliers, you'd end up with 4 different shades of the same color. When I had my '68 painted 2 years ago, he used a DuPont product in the Cordovan Maroon and shot it on the underside of the trunk lid. He called me over for approval and, while I really can't remember what the exact shade should look like, I was disappointed because it did look awfully brown and a little flat to me. He said he would try a different brand of paint and re-shoot it. When he called me over again, I said "that's it!" It looked more maroon and you could see the metallic much better. Turns out he used DuPont again in another product line. I don't know which of the 2 shades would be correct, but I know what I like! If you are interested in what he specifically used, I can find out.

Old Apr 19th, 10, 1:18 AM
Randy

thank you midshark, i would greatly appreciate if you could get me the color code for the paint you used. your picture looks great, reminds me exactly of the car i had in high school (late 70's) and am trying to re=store the one i have now to be like my first chevelle.
Old Apr 20th, 10, 12:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

I've emailed him and will let you know when he gets back to me.
Old Apr 20th, 10, 7:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Cheap basecoats will not provide an accurate color match as I stated. In PPG it's Omni vs DBU or DBC. In Dupont it's Nason vs Chromabase. That's the sacrifice between $24 per quart and $75 or more per quart. Among other things.
Nice car Rich, my 67 Camaro is Royal Plum with parchment gut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Updated Color for Cordovan Maroon Met.(NN)
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.