700r4 Overdrive Problem - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Mar 21st, 10, 12:24 PM
Tech Team
Lang

Default 700r4 Overdrive Problem

Anyone with any 700r4 experience.The problem I'm having is it won't stay in 4th or overdrive.It will shift into overdrive if its under load as in going up a slight grade.But straight and level or slight downgrade it shifts back into third and will stay that way.I have changed the filter and the fluid twice thinking I had the wrong Dexron.No change. Anyone?????
Advertisement

Old Mar 21st, 10, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bob

Default Re: 700r4 Overdrive Problem

Is you TV cable in PERFECT adjustment. My first 700 was not and I ate the tranny. I went to a junk yard to get the proper adj. Specs.
Not sure if I can help? 724-527-3088
Bob ACES--AACA
Old Mar 21st, 10, 1:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

It does sound like a TV cable issue.

There is some TV cable geometry info on my website under tech info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 21st, 10, 2:57 PM
Tech Team
Lang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeshoe View Post

Thank you I will try the cable adjustment.This whole thing started after I changed the fluid and filter the first time, and was really a gradual thing until now its simply wont stay in OD.Thanks again.
Old Mar 28th, 10, 12:48 PM
Tech Team
Lang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeshoe View Post

Per your advise,I with a friends help adjusted the cable to factory spec and it did fix the problem to a point.We test drove the car for a reasonably long time and distance,and it would stay in 4th/Overdrive.However on the drive home for thirty or so miles of the return trip at varying speeds on the freeway....everything was fine.Once I slowed to an area of stop and go to very slow speed,for several miles,it would again go into 4th/Overdrive,but tended to do the same thing again.Sort of like it would stay in 3rd and then when it felt like it go into 4th/Overdrive. This was again at normal Freeway speed.Any other ideas.....Thanks for your reply.
Old Apr 13th, 10, 5:46 PM
Tech Team
Lang

I still need some help....any other ideas
Old Apr 13th, 10, 9:47 PM
Tech Team
JEREMY

You might be feeling the torque converter clutch slipping and raising the rpms making you think it is in 3rd. quick test would be manually shift it to 3rd drive to 50mph then put in 4th. should see rpm drop and hold under steady cruise. without lowering your speed tap the brakes to disengage the tcc and the rpms should increase 200-300rpm then go back down to where they were. if it doesnt then the brake switch didn't disengage the tcc or you have a converter/valve body problem. try that then repost and i will see what i can do for you. what kind of vehicle is it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Apr 14th, 10, 6:35 PM
Tech Team
Lang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRONS1502 View Post
You might be feeling the torque converter clutch slipping and raising the rpms making you think it is in 3rd. quick test would be manually shift it to 3rd drive to 50mph then put in 4th. should see rpm drop and hold under steady cruise. without lowering your speed tap the brakes to disengage the tcc and the rpms should increase 200-300rpm then go back down to where they were. if it doesnt then the brake switch didn't disengage the tcc or you have a converter/valve body problem. try that then repost and i will see what i can do for you. what kind of vehicle is it in.
Its in a 92 Camaro.I tried on my last trip manually shifting it back into third and it was already in third as in no change in rpm or speed.Also if I am going down the highway and its at a steady speed and I step on the brakes to slow for a slower car/disengage the cruse control,there is no change the rpm just drops.And if you just slowly accelerate,it will stay in third until it feels like going into overdrive.Its not real smooth you just feel the shift and see the rpm's drop.Sometimes going downhill its almost as if the trans was in neutral.The rpm's drop off almost to idle.It does not do that every time.I'm driving it every weekend the same route so Its almost predictable.With the 86 Trans Am I had before the Camaro, the shifts were all very subtle and that car had way more miles on than this one. I should add this is a completely stock driver,no race car. Thanks for your reply.
Old Apr 24th, 10, 1:47 PM
Tech Team
Lang

Still looking for answers.Is this a Valvebody problem....if so can I just change the Valvebody?
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: 700r4 Overdrive Problem
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.