Horn not working - horn relay clicks loudly instead - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

Old Mar 17th, 10, 3:29 PM

Default Horn not working - horn relay clicks loudly instead

Info:

- 1970 monte carlo (I realize it's the wrong forum ) but should be the "same"
- It seems the horn relay is used as a main power distribution block too, it gets juice from battery, it has good ground etc... it all looks good
- horn used to work and I had to replace the engine with newer setup, it hasn't worked since but it has been 3 years since I started the work. Harness is the same, there is a single wire going from the horn regulator to the horns behind the grill , it seems pretty straight forward

I can press the steering wheel horn and get a LOUD click (I'm assuming from the horn relay), but no sound.

Battery is charged enough to start the car so I'd imagine it can do a beep or two.

Any ideas? any help would be greatly appreciated

Here's a photo: I since then cleaned up the wiring a bunch and the external regulator is gone, but the horn did not work before or after... if I recall correctly the wire with arrow pointing at it is the one going to the horns (I'm 80% sure at the moment, I will double check).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 17th, 10, 3:39 PM

Default Re: Horn not working - horn relay clicks loudly instead

I may have answered my own question by searching again, I searched at first but didn't stumble on tihs pic in another thread, maybe it will help someone else.

at least now I have some things to check

does this sound good?

1) take the green wire to + on battery , horns should go off? If they do
2) take the black wire , pull it off and ground that terminal to a good ground (- on battery) , if the horns work then it means something in the steering wheel isn't grounding?

Old Mar 17th, 10, 4:03 PM
Super Mod
Rich

If the horn relay is clicking when you press the horn button, the problem isn't in the steering column......

The problem is probably either a bad ground at the horns or the horns themselves are no good. Look inside them, any signs of little bugs building nests in there?

Yes, green wire to 12v and the horn should sound. Just make a jumper wire, attach it to the spade on the horn(s) and touch the other end of the wire to the positive battery post and it should sound. If not, check the ground at the horn, it is grounded through where the horn bolts to the car. Make sure that connection is clean and tight. If it still won't blow, the horn is no good.

RE: your photo above, I hope the battery is disconnected while you are handling that!
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
1965 Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
2006 Pontiac GTO Preservation Project
Rich Cummings
Old Mar 17th, 10, 4:15 PM

that 2nd photo isn't mine, I dug it up somewhere on this forum 5 minutes after I made this thread

thanks for the reply though, I'll do what you said and we'll see where it gets me
Old Mar 17th, 10, 4:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bad Brad

Location: NSB Or Daytona Beach Shark Bite Capitol of the World

What Rich said and also from the looks of all the surface rust you have going on there and the extra possible wire splices under the black tape and bad grounds. Looks like you have some serious cleaning to do there and get some good connections for electric.
2009 AACA 1st Place National Junior Award
2009 AACA National Senior Award
ACES Chevellabration Top 3
2010 AACA First Place Grand National Award

Old Mar 17th, 10, 9:39 PM
Team Member

Like what has been said. ground bracket , 12volts to horn terminal. If they dont sound , they are bad. Battery should have a charge they require about 5 amps each. gary
Old Mar 17th, 10, 9:42 PM

thank you everyone, I Definitely didn't try to see if the horns are grounded properly. I do remember the green wire's relay connector being quite rusty and oxidized, maybe I'll pickup a new relay if autozone still carries it.

the previous motor had a terrible blowby/venting issue covering everything in sight with oil and grime so I have my work cutout for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Electrical & Wiring      Current Topic: Horn not working - horn relay clicks loudly instead
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.