Team Chevelle banner

Air Wolf 220 Results

21K views 108 replies 19 participants last post by  trmnatr 
#1 ·
I thought you guys might be interested in this info. I copied it off 1320techtalk. Bill went the extra mile to get some good data. :thumbsup:

Hello All,

I have some results regarding the AIRWOLF cylinder heads. I have been very impressed with the results and workmanship of these cylinders heads. The only changes made in the dyno testing was the cylinder heads. The cylinder heads combustion chamber was a tad smaller then my current heads. So this netted an increase of approximately .25 in compression.
This is the engine combo

Dart block
4.155 bore
3.75 stroke
JE 13 CC dome pistons
Super vic intake modified by speier racing heads
Race demon Carb
Jones cam 262/266 at .050 680/640 lift on a 110

AFR heads were previously reworked by speier racing heads. This work netted a gain of .2 in the 1/8 mile with no other changes.

Also the headers used on the dyno were a set of sprint car headers. They were two inch primaries with 3.5 collectors. The primary tubes were in the 35-40 inch range. Unfortunitly I was unable to use my headers for these test because they would not clear the dyno stand. Per Pipemax, the headers used were not the optimal heads and I feel that some power was not realized on the dyno. The headers I have in the car are right what pipe max calls for.

I made a couple passes last saturday. Car ran 6.70 at 102.5 in 2500 corrected altitude. I then pulled the motor and conducted the following:

First the engine was dyno in its current configuration. We tried different timing settings and it showed to like 35 degrees. We did not change anything on the carb as egts and o2 showed that it was on.

Then the head swap was conducted. I had to get shorter pushrods to correct the rocker arm geometry

We made the first few pulls and the engine was down on power. My dyno operator felt is was the powervalves and wanted to square up/richen the jetting and remove the powervalves. We did this with no improvement. Well it turned out that we hadn't properly adjusted the throttle linkage and we were not getting WOT. Once we corrected that, the Airwolf heads started to shine.

Immediately we noticed that the peak power had move from 6700 to 7000. Furthermore, engine was now making 40 more uncorrect hp at 7000. We tried different timing, and jetting. Ended up with the best results at 80 squared, with 33 degrees of timing before I ran out of fuel to continue testing. I still think it is on the rich side, and will want the original jetting that I had in there.

Below are the dyno results.

I took the car out friday night, Car went 6.50@104.7 with a 1.44 sixty off the footbrake leaving at 2600 rpms. Air was at 2600 corrected altitude. This was the best et to date at the track at about 1600 higher CA. Best et to date was in San Antonio with mineshaft air of -300 feet. It ran a 6.42@106.

I also feel there is more in it, I forgot to bring the cable to reprogram my ignition box to change the shift point. There for these new best ets are shifting at 7000. Shifting at 7400-7500 would further take advantage of the heads. I believe there is probably another .05 in it. I will find out next weekend. I could really feel it start pulling about 6500.

I calculate the heads were go for a solid 40-50 hp over the worked AFR heads.

As Chad and I discussed before, my previous limitation was the on power was the cylinder head.

I am working on getting the electronic data for the dyno stuff.

Please let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

As I stated before, the workmanship on these heads is awesome, and the customer service is second to none. As I expected no less from chad, these heads have surpassed my expectation of them.

[/img]
smallblock 406
1/8 6.42@106.5
1/4 10.15@130.5
Fourtenposi@yahoo.com

See less See more
#4 ·
That would be my question, was the AFR heads the old design that you worked over, also do you feel that 1/4 point increase in compression helped with the horsepower gain in that combo.You also said the headers were not optimal for the dyno test, so would that not effect both tests.

#10 ·
Heads were a set of #1054's. Here is the before/after. The dyno test was done back to back days. Both heads were dynod with the same headers. The test was about as fair as one could get. Same cam, same dyno, same everything. However, the 1/4 compression might be false. The new heads were 65cc, just never told Bill :D

Before (210cc)
LIFT-- INT/EXH
.200--140.4/109.7
.300--198/152.3
.400--247/178.4
.500--283.8/192.4
.600--289.2/197.2
.700--295.9/201
.800--294.4/203

After (215cc)
LIFT---int--/--exh(no pipe)
.200--161.4/119.1
.300--218.1/159.5
.400--262.4/188.3
.500--293.1/203.2
.600--307.4/208.2
.700--312.4/213.1
.800--315.1/214.7
.900--315.9/215.9

VELOCITY
Opening- 326 fps was/ 311 fps now
Choke(pushrod)- 349 fps was/ 321 fps now
ST- 251 fps was/ 235 fps now
WAS AVERAGE: 309 fps
NOW AVERAGE: 289 fps

Rememeber the heads were raced, never dynod, like the before numbers. Bill got a baseline, sent the heads to me and then went back to the track. Fixing the heads resulted in a .2+ gain. The AW are worth .50+ over a stock #1054 in Bills example.

#22 ·
Out of the box int. #s look real close but the exh. seems low for some reason. :confused:

Wish I could find my flow sheets on those, have em somewhere (before/after porting).

lol
The heads had issues with the exhaust seats when they arrived to me. We got it straightened out. Don't ask because I wont say what the issue was because I dont want to be accused of bashing.

#23 ·
Impressive gains and righteously conducted experiment. Kinda demonstrated that a big port works on a small engine, for drag racing anyway. The only question in my mind is "was Bill running offset rockers and lifters on the AFR's?". If so, was this due to "welding the pinch"? And I'm NOT trying to stir, because as I've stated before buying that stuff is not a problem to me. Just curious if he had it w/ the AFR's due to welding the pinch.

now for my customary DFQ
On your airwolf page below, wtf is the bronze gizmo in the far right pic? I look at that and it just doesn't make any sense, looks like a leaky brass funnel stuck in an intake seat. Must be one of your measurement devices is the best I can come up with.

http://www.speierracingheads.com/airwolf.htm

another dfq or 2 or 3, what machine do you guys use to do "your valve job" with those 5 angle cutters I was unaware of a few weeks ago? I'm looking at buying an IDL 550 to do guides( I am told guide liners fall out and you can buy an IDL for almost same $ as a liner installer) but I also want something to dress down below the seat and it would be sweet to have 1 machine that could run the seat cutter AND clean up below the seat(is this a pipe dream?). How do you guys clean that area? A Kwik-Way or some newstyle mega-expensive machine?

Thanks for helping an old guy learn
I didn't savvy 'pinch', 'seat cutter', 'choke', and a veritable plethora of other stuff before you head grinders guys started coming around and I started paying attention. So I really do mean
Thank You sirs.:beers:

#24 ·
Chad, here is another dfq. I was looking at the velocity profile link http://www.speierracingheads.com/profile.htm on your page. It appears that your still not achieving a taper in that particular port. Air speed is 292 at the entrance, speeds up at the pinch and slows down considerably at the ss turn.

Just wondering, I was looking at the stuff that I have from my cylinder heads with a 2.080 valve, and noticing a difference. Eitherway, kudos for "all" the information. And congrats on the outcome.

#25 ·
No offset rockers are required for either head. However, I think he was because he was running a big pushrod. The Probe rockers come with a .080 offset, standard.

The AFR's were not welded.

The bronze gizmo, the guide?

I use a vertical mill to do my valve jobs, not sure about Bryce.

Jake how big is your pinch? Is it welded? This head has a 2.54 in² pinch. There is no way the seat ring will be the minumin. The speed at the ST is perfect. No way your achieving a taper with a stock located pinch and flowing any decent amount of air! This pinch might be a little fast, but not much.

#27 ·
Look at it upside down. At the top is the guide the bottom is the floor radius. And some kind of lighting making it look copper colored....The holes are head bolt rocker stud intrusions???

#34 ·
I thought you guys might be interested in this info. I copied it off 1320techtalk. Bill went the extra mile to get some good data. :thumbsup:

Hello All,

I have some results regarding the AIRWOLF cylinder heads. I have been very impressed with the results and workmanship of these cylinders heads. The only changes made in the dyno testing was the cylinder heads. The cylinder heads combustion chamber was a tad smaller then my current heads. So this netted an increase of approximately .25 in compression.
This is the engine combo

Dart block
4.155 bore
3.75 stroke
JE 13 CC dome pistons
Super vic intake modified by speier racing heads
Race demon Carb
Jones cam 262/266 at .050 680/640 lift on a 110

AFR heads were previously reworked by speier racing heads. This work netted a gain of .2 in the 1/8 mile with no other changes.

Also the headers used on the dyno were a set of sprint car headers. They were two inch primaries with 3.5 collectors. The primary tubes were in the 35-40 inch range. Unfortunitly I was unable to use my headers for these test because they would not clear the dyno stand. Per Pipemax, the headers used were not the optimal heads and I feel that some power was not realized on the dyno. The headers I have in the car are right what pipe max calls for.

I made a couple passes last saturday. Car ran 6.70 at 102.5 in 2500 corrected altitude. I then pulled the motor and conducted the following:

First the engine was dyno in its current configuration. We tried different timing settings and it showed to like 35 degrees. We did not change anything on the carb as egts and o2 showed that it was on.

Then the head swap was conducted. I had to get shorter pushrods to correct the rocker arm geometry

We made the first few pulls and the engine was down on power. My dyno operator felt is was the powervalves and wanted to square up/richen the jetting and remove the powervalves. We did this with no improvement. Well it turned out that we hadn't properly adjusted the throttle linkage and we were not getting WOT. Once we corrected that, the Airwolf heads started to shine.

Immediately we noticed that the peak power had move from 6700 to 7000. Furthermore, engine was now making 40 more uncorrect hp at 7000. We tried different timing, and jetting. Ended up with the best results at 80 squared, with 33 degrees of timing before I ran out of fuel to continue testing. I still think it is on the rich side, and will want the original jetting that I had in there.

Below are the dyno results.

I took the car out friday night, Car went 6.50@104.7 with a 1.44 sixty off the footbrake leaving at 2600 rpms. Air was at 2600 corrected altitude. This was the best et to date at the track at about 1600 higher CA. Best et to date was in San Antonio with mineshaft air of -300 feet. It ran a 6.42@106.

I also feel there is more in it, I forgot to bring the cable to reprogram my ignition box to change the shift point. There for these new best ets are shifting at 7000. Shifting at 7400-7500 would further take advantage of the heads. I believe there is probably another .05 in it. I will find out next weekend. I could really feel it start pulling about 6500.

I calculate the heads were go for a solid 40-50 hp over the worked AFR heads.

As Chad and I discussed before, my previous limitation was the on power was the cylinder head.

I am working on getting the electronic data for the dyno stuff.

Please let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

As I stated before, the workmanship on these heads is awesome, and the customer service is second to none. As I expected no less from chad, these heads have surpassed my expectation of them.

[/img]
smallblock 406
1/8 6.42@106.5
1/4 10.15@130.5
Fourtenposi@yahoo.com
Could I ask the weight of this car? Was the oil pressure issue straitened out or was the car run this way, thanks.

#36 · (Edited)
I still have not heard the head comparison, where you using the NEW 220cc AW Racing heads or the 245cc Racing heads for the comparison against the ( said ported older AFR 210 street head). Also was there any attempt to re-jet or timing change with the AFR combo, or did you just use the older AFR head combo as a baseline to beat.???

#39 ·
Well if your gonna make a comment like that , then call it out.
What info does not seem straight up to you ?

If he would have tested against another brand , would you feel the same way?
Seems like alot of our members are a little AR sensitive ?

#38 ·
The 220cc Air Wolf was used.

rejetting? timing? Bill raced his engine for two years with the ported AFR heads. The engine was also dynod on Larry Meaux dyno last year. THIS WASN'T SOME CHEAP ATTEMPT!

You want Bills email address? I can hook you up.

Please explain what difference a "street" head has over a "comp" head?? More flow? The port design is exactly the same.

When I got done with the heads, they were still better than any current AFR head, guarantee it!

Hate to be a downer but I smell a whole lot of BS in this thread and Ill leave it at that.
Like what? Please explain, since you opened your mouth. The ET doesn't lie in my World. You can buy Bills old heads, they are for sale.

#44 ·
The 220cc Air Wolf was used.

rejetting? timing? Bill raced his engine for two years with the ported AFR heads. The engine was also dynod on Larry Meaux dyno last year. THIS WASN'T SOME CHEAP ATTEMPT!

You want Bills email address? I can hook you up.

Please explain what difference a "street" head has over a "comp" head?? More flow? The port design is exactly the same.

When I got done with the heads, they were still better than any current AFR head, guarantee it!

Like what? Please explain, since you opened your mouth. The ET doesn't lie in my World. You can buy Bills old heads, they are for sale.
No one said anything about a cheap attempt. I am interested in how this test was run, and how EACH engine combo was dynoed. I believe it was YOU who said you would not trust ANYONE to do a back to back comparison with your heads against AFR with ANY engine builder/dyno, that sold an AFR product and yet your dyno#'s or Bryce's, which to me are the same thing ,are now supposed to be gospel, I mean come on, you ported the AFR heads and can now say your brand new heads can beat older AFR heads on a dyno. That dog don't hunt.. Apples and Oranges till the cows come home....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.