Low Manifold Vacuum - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Mar 10th, 10, 4:52 PM
Tech Team

Default Low Manifold Vacuum

Hey guys,

I am trying to tune my carb because it falls flat on it's face when I stomp on it. I hooked up a vacuum guage and it reads that I have about 6 in of vacuum. It seems not to move a bunch when I turn the idle adjust screws. I only have two vacuum lines hooked up on it. One to the brake booster and the other to a pcv valve. I can't remember my cam specs right now but is nothing too radical. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 10th, 10, 9:50 PM
Ken

Default Re: Low Manifold Vacuum

I think anything below 15 in. will give you a really weak idle. Check for vacuum leaks!! Plug your brake booster line first and see- then your PVC. Something -Maybe intake manifold leaks-check with carb cleaner,spray where the runners meet the heads, if it chokes like a dog that's it! Possibly carb plate/gasket or carb plugs?
Old Mar 10th, 10, 10:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Timing?
Old Mar 10th, 10, 10:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Sounds like way not enough timing advance.

Verify that your timing is about 36 BTDC at 4000 RPM with the vac adv disconnected from the dist. Optimum might be a couple of degrees away from that, but it should be a good starting point anyway. It goes without saying, verify your timing mark FIRST, that 0 on the mark = EXACTLY TDC; if the mark is off, then nothing you ever do with a light will ever be accurate.

When you "stomp it", your vacuum goes to 0, regardless of what it was right before that. Low idle vacuum doesn't cause the problem you describe. However, low idle vaccum and wimpy throttle response might both share the same cause.
Old Mar 10th, 10, 11:18 PM
Tech Team
Bill

After setting my timing correctly and fuel mixture to highest vacum reading my 454 stumbled bad still off idle. Changed the primary carb squirter from a .025 to a .035 and all is good now.
Old Mar 10th, 10, 11:44 PM
Team Member
Steve

Got to be a vacuum leak. When I changed my intake, My vacuum went from 9 to 15 in. at idle
Steve T.C.#4083
66 ss/402/m20/355 posi
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...7/100_1859.jpg
Old Mar 11th, 10, 12:28 AM
Team Member

1st some questions:

What are cam specs?

You said you cant remember cam specs well look them up or find cam card because we need that cam info so wek now approx what idle/low engine speed vacuum should be along with motor size is too which you also didnt include.

What size motor?

What is base timing set at & at what idle rpm?

What is total timing & at what rpm is it all in?

==========================================

Moving on:

Doesnt have to be vac leak as stated abve with low int vacuum.

If base timing is overly retarded with perf cam that alone will make idle /low engine speed intake vacuum considerably lower then it should be.

Ensure you have approx 18 deg base timing with perf cam & vac adv hooked to fullintake vac all the time.

Set base timig with idle at approx 600 rpm to ensure mech adv isnt partially activated at idle upsetting base timing adj.

Look for approx 36-38 deg total timing in by approx 2600-2800rpms,but the already suggested 4k rpm is way to late/lazy for total to be comming in IMHO.

BTW,in general cam profile-size-duaration etc vs motor size has a large affect on idle/low engine speed vacuum along with if base with perf cam is too retarded too so keep that in mind when dealing with issues like this.

Now if you ensure base/total timing are correct and if running vac adv to full ntake vac if running one along with idle mixture/idle speed set correctly and idle vac is still low for cam vs motor size then look for poss carb/intake/ vacuum leake/s at that point but enusre base /total timing is right 1st with vac adv to full int vacuum for most street perf motor's unless its real hot without enough vac at idle to run vac adv.

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
Old Mar 11th, 10, 1:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

^^ what they said about timing.

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
69 AMX
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
Old Mar 16th, 10, 9:01 PM
Tech Team

Okay, I found my cam card. I have a Lunati Voodo 268 installed in the engine. It is a 350 with a MSD distributor (non-vacuum advance) and a 6AL box.

I am sitting at 18 degrees advance at 800 rpm. I still only have about 6 in of vaccum. When I advance the timing it goes up but only reaches 12 in at about 50 degrees of advance! So, I backed it back off.

I checked all of my vacuum lines and no leaks that I can see. I sprayed carb cleaner between the intake and heads and no difference.
Old Mar 16th, 10, 9:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

I wouldn't think it would even idle at all with 50 deg. 12 in/hg is about ballpark for that cam I would imagine. You NEED a vacuum advance to boost your idle advance and cruise performance. I think this is where most of your problem is. This will bring your vacuum up as well.
Old Mar 17th, 10, 4:15 PM
Tech Team

So a vacuum advance distributor should bring up my idle vacuum right?
Old Mar 17th, 10, 7:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

Sounds to me like you have a mis-matched timing mark setup, with the crank damper timing mark at 12:00 at TDC and the timing tab showing 0 at 1:30. That'll put your "light" about 35 out of whack, such that when the marks show 0, you're ACTUALLY at 35 retarded.

Just one more reason why I don't pay any attention whatsoever to the ABSOLUTE number that a "light" shows; and instead, put the timing where the engine says it wants it. Listen to the engine: it will tell you what it wants. Give it what it wants and it runs better. Sounds like kind of a no-brainer (which is precisely why I, having no brain, fit right into it) but it's amazing how many people try to out-think the obvious. If it RUNS better, it IS better. Period.

What damper do you have, and what timing mark? Specifically, is your timing tab aftermarket?
Old Mar 17th, 10, 7:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

What RB69SS396Conv said is true, and yes I think a vacuum advance distributor would greatly improve your idle quality and vacuum as well as seat of the pants street performance.
Old Mar 17th, 10, 8:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Did you degree the cam? Sounds like it could be retarded, the cam that is.

77 Monte
385- AFR 190's Clay Smith solid--200-4r w/ 3.73's
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350

http://myweb.midco.net/77cruiser/
Old Mar 19th, 10, 12:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

^^^what they said about vac advance. (Worth verifying the timing mark too.)

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
69 AMX
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Low Manifold Vacuum
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.