Who has the highest rated pump gas 496 BBC? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Mar 3rd, 10, 2:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Sal

Default Who has the highest rated pump gas 496 BBC?

I am trying to do a search and found it difficult. I was just wondering who has the highest HP.TQ. rated pump gas 496 BBC?

I am wondering what a max effort 496, on the edge of streetability type engine is capable of these days.

There are so many 496 builds listed here. Who is the Alfa dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 3rd, 10, 3:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Default Re: Who has the highest rated pump gas 496 BBC?

I'm prejudice, but Mike Lewis makes a killer pump gas motor. There are a lot of variables cams, heads, Induction to think about. Mike is well connected in the industry and will be able to reach out for component selection. He's also top notch in machining and assembly tolerances.

Mike Lewis street 572
http://www.lewisracingengines.com/
Holley HP EFI
Marcella Manifolds
Heads by Darin Morgan
Cam by UDHarold
.456 X 1.8/1.7
R2C Filters
www.r2cperformance
Ultra Carbon
www.ultra-carbon.com/
GF-5R,
TRZ FAB 9" 4.56 REM, Cryo Treated
4000 lb street car
My Showroom
Old Mar 3rd, 10, 4:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

fwiw...mine made 607 hp @ 6100 / 627 ft lb @ 4500 on the engine dyno. 10.7:1 w/ovalbrocks - must use 93 octane which might disqualify me from your query....I really like my setup - cc xs-290-s ft solid lifter cam....built by sputs racing engines way up in minnesota...
Old Mar 3rd, 10, 10:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

JOHHNY HUNKINS

he made 626hp at Westech!!!
and ran 11.40s in a 3600lb chevelle

"I don't mean to pee on anyone's parade, but inflated dyno numbers make it tough for honest engine builders to compete." 69 Ratt Vett

The capitalist creed : From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed.
Old Mar 3rd, 10, 10:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brian Gooding

6.21 @ 109.7
9.82 @ 134.9

9.87 pass/grudge match http://youtu.be/Au6Lq7rH9Ak

"Keep your hopes up and your pedal down"....Rowdy
Old Mar 4th, 10, 12:14 AM
Tech Team

Whatever happened to Johnny? Wasn't that called the Howitzer or something? I am pretty sure thats before my time but remember reading various forum threads here and there. To be sure, that was before the dyno was recalibrated right?
Old Mar 4th, 10, 2:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Sal

Hey aukai, How is that bad to the bone BBC of yours holding up. I agree Mike is top of the food chain.

I was just wondering if someone were to build a 496 similar to your engine what would it yeild?

Something with top shelf cylinder heads and intake, custom mechanical roller, anywhere in the 10.5 to 11.5 comp. zone etc. Do you think an engine like this could hit the 750 to 800 HP. zone?

Has anyone built one that made that kind of power and was still streetable?

the heckler, ya baby, your engine is definitely a contender. Thankyou
Old Mar 4th, 10, 2:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Hey Sal, I made a change in cylinder heads due to sponsorship and the heads from Darin Morgan should be at Mike's place by this coming week. There will also be some other undisclosed(until later)(that means we are not going to say right now) testing of components So stand by

Mike Lewis street 572
http://www.lewisracingengines.com/
Holley HP EFI
Marcella Manifolds
Heads by Darin Morgan
Cam by UDHarold
.456 X 1.8/1.7
R2C Filters
www.r2cperformance
Ultra Carbon
www.ultra-carbon.com/
GF-5R,
TRZ FAB 9" 4.56 REM, Cryo Treated
4000 lb street car
My Showroom
Old Mar 4th, 10, 2:59 AM
Tech Team
Todd

I just had Jason Pettis at Pettis Performance build me a 489 ZL-1. Made 666hp and 641ftlbs on pump gas and only 252/260 at .050. Solid roller. Killer torque and hp curve. Easily a 685-700hp motor with a single plane and dominator. I have a air gap and 850 for low end torque. Add a bigger camshaft and you could really wake it up.

Old Mar 4th, 10, 4:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I just had Jason Pettis at Pettis Performance build me a 489 ZL-1. Made 666hp and 641ftlbs on pump gas and only 252/260 at .050. Solid roller. Killer torque and hp curve. Easily a 685-700hp motor with a single plane and dominator. I have a air gap and 850 for low end torque. Add a bigger camshaft and you could really wake it up.

That's very nice, and those are very nice numbers. But as far as adding a bigger cam to wake it up, I think that for a street car engine, your engine is already awakened about as much as it could be without getting into race gas territory and/or taking it off the street and onto the trailer due to driveability issues.

660 HP is plenty for a naturally aspirated 489 engine on pump gas being used in a street driven combo. Mark Jones' 496 engines are pretty stout too and are both affordable and make great power for engines with great street manners.

As far as making 750-800 HP with a 496 CID engine naturally aspirated on pump gas, I don't see that happening without using a cam that's so big that you can kiss any degree of street manners good-bye, and you would also be getting into race gas territory.

Sure, you'll get guys with 496/505 cid pump gas engines who are using cams in the 270 dur@.050 range or greater, along with 5,000 RPM stall speeds and 4.10/4.11 rear gears, who will try and tell you that their car is a "street" car, but ask them if they ever drive it for an hour at a time or longer. Ask them how their rear gear ratio is on the highway. Ask them when the last time was that there were in a traffic jam with it. Or exactly how many miles they put on it per week during the warm months of the year. That's when you either get tall tales, all out lies when they're in denial about these things, or they get quiet.

I guess the bottom line is that you really have to decide for yourself what you mean by a "street" car, and how exactly you intend to use it, and more specifically, how often you plan on using it on the street.
Old Mar 4th, 10, 6:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
I'm prejudice, but Mike Lewis makes a killer pump gas motor. There are a lot of variables cams, heads, Induction to think about. Mike is well connected in the industry and will be able to reach out for component selection. He's also top notch in machining and assembly tolerances.
I'll second that If it were me, I wouldn't even hesitate a fraction of a second to call on the services of Mike Lewis for a 496 pump gas build.
(538.8 HP. @ 6200 & 506.4 Ft. Lbs. TQ. @ 5100)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y92Jkg3Tok0

Black on Black 69 SS Chevelle
2011-2012 Updates:
Straub Tech. & LRE Custom Hyd. Roller
Trend Pushrods (Lewis Racing Engines)
Holley HP MP/EFI System
Jake's Perf. 200-4R w/ Fixed Line Pres.
MW 3.5" Alum Drive Shaft
AAW Classic Update Harness
Custom 3" Oval Tube Exh w/ X-Pipe & XR-1's
New BB Parts For Sale: http://www.chevelles.com/classifieds...?product=48616
Old Mar 4th, 10, 11:01 AM
Tech Team
Todd

I agree Billy. My goal was to keep the low end torque my previous engine had, but more horsepower. It ended up making the old engine peak torque at 3500(300 sooner) but beat the peak torque by 54 ft lbs and top end hp by 73hp. I'm a Pro Touring guys so I need the 5 gear cruising at 2200 and low end grunt for autocross. I think Jason nailed it for me. The plus is I can run it up to 6800 and not worry about valve float like and the power dropping off like a rock like my hydraulic engine was.
Old Mar 4th, 10, 12:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Sal

Hey Mike it will be interesting to see what your combo does this time around. It was already a champion the last time. I cant wait to see the results. Good luck!

Wow Todd, that engine makes some tire shreading TQ down low. Do you have a relative that works for M & H ?

I wonder what your engine would have done with another 10 degrees of duration? I dont think it would kill the bottom end and ruin the streetability.

Thanks for the outlook on streetability, Billy. What do you think? Suppose you put a cam in Todds engine with around 262 duration? Would you think it would flirt with the 7000 HP zone and still have street manners? Just how far would you push the envelope to get it on the edge?
Old Mar 4th, 10, 12:14 PM
Tech Team
Matt

Mine made almost identical power. Is almost scary how close out builds are.
Ill post the dyno sheet if I can figure out how.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post

12 Bolt
295/65/15 Drag Radials
www.advancedracingengines.com
www.innovatorswest.com
Old Mar 4th, 10, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
wannabe

700+ HP is not a problem with a pump gas 496. 1.5hp per cubic inch is not uncommon on pump gas, that would come to 744hp. I'm sure there are plenty making more than that with max effort and money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Who has the highest rated pump gas 496 BBC?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.