My 70's passenger side front carpet is wet when it rains! Why? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

Old Feb 11th, 10, 1:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Location: Aloha Oregon, a rainy but very green Portland suburb
Default My 70's passenger side front carpet is wet when it rains! Why?

Anyone ever had this problem? I have a 70 Chevelle, resealed the heater core blower housing when I had the front sheetmetal off to rebuild the front end and install new HE 262 Comp cam. Thought my wet floor problems were over. Is it coming in through some body seam I am unaware of?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 11th, 10, 2:09 AM
Gold Founding Member

Default Re: My 70's passenger side front carpet is wet when it rains! Why?

Could be 1- From around the windshield, either poor seal or rust issues. 2- The drains in your kickpanel area could be blocked. Water from the cowl drains to this area & SHOULD go out thru the floor panels. Pull kickpanel & clean it out.
NEW HOME
ACES #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #0038
Old Feb 11th, 10, 2:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Location: Aloha Oregon, a rainy but very green Portland suburb

Thanks! I will do that and hope it stops as the car is pretty rust free and I want to keep it that way.
Old Feb 11th, 10, 3:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

Typical for the body seam sealer on top of cowl to be dried out and cracked and letting water in.

Water will not come in anywhere around the windshiled frame unless there are rust holes.

Get a good flashlight or shop light and lay on the floor on your back and have somebody pour water along the cowl area and you'll probably be able to see where it's coming in. It's probably running right down thru the cowl seams and running down the firewall.

The kickpanel vents are sealed off pretty good. That gummy sealer does get dry and hard and crack and it is possible for water to come thru there.

Last edited by Mr69; Feb 11th, 10 at 3:49 AM.
Old Feb 11th, 10, 11:47 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Hi Yankee,

Leaks in this area on my 71 Monte have come from 2 places:

1 - the kick panel vent/air door assembly behind the kick panel has a mastic behind it. If this is original and has never been removed, the mastic dries out and separates, allowing water that flows down inside the cowl and around the sides to come in. I sealed mine in with urethane back in '92 and it lasted until this rainy season. Had been leaking for years before that. Do the same for the drivers side.

2 - the seams in the floor where the main firewall metal is mated to the main floor pan had a ribbon of sealer from the factory. It had failed, and would allow water in when I drove through deep puddles. Sealed it with urethane also.

So far, knock on wood, no leaks anywhere areound the main cowl plenum or top of cowl.

Good luck,
Tom
Old Feb 11th, 10, 11:53 AM
Team Member
Buck

My 72 gets wet also. Only while driving, If parked it stays dry. I think it may be the seal on the plate that covers the steering coloumn. I haven't checked yet but i think thats the spot as it runs down between my feet.
Chris Straub full roller setup.
SBC Legend Hyd Roller Cam Retro .510/.492 221/223
108 Sep

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2da74af8.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Chevelle Tech      Current Topic: My 70's passenger side front carpet is wet when it rains! Why?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.