Master Cyl / Power booster Rod length - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Feb 3rd, 10, 7:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default Master Cyl / Power booster Rod length

Does anyone know about the length of the rod that goes between the master cylinder and the booster? I have four different rods here and the length differs by about .035. All are in the 2.590 to 2.632 range.

Here is why I am asking. A LONG time ago I purchased a rebuilt booster from a company called ASL...Resto House now outta business. The deal was an exchange my old booster as a core to be replaced with a new rebuilt unit. I installed the new unit and had issues with pedal travel. Called ASL and was advised that there were "several" different length rods for these cars. According to my memory I was further told that the correct length was the length that worked with any particular set of components. Factory tolerances and what not...same thing as the shiming of a pinion depends on the dimensions of the gears and the dimensions of the housing. Factory tolerances. I got 5 or 6 different lenth rods from ASL and got the brakes working correctly with one of the rods. I saved the others. All the rods were around 2.590 / 2.630 inches.

Research here with the search function mentions two distinct lengths for this rod..one length is around 2.6 and the other is way longer. My questions is related to small differences in the lenth of the 2.6 inch rods not the differences between the 2.6 and 3+ inch rods..

Has anyone ever heard of this small difference in lenght requirement? Remember I had a problem and I corrected it with another rod. The difference between the rod that did not work and the rod that did work was a very small amount NOT a distance of an inch or more. All the info I can dig up relates to length diffeerences of over an inch. I am talking about a much smaller length change fixing my problem.

All this has come up because my friend has an issue with a disc brake conversion and I am wondering if his issue is related to an incorrect length rod between the master and the booseter. His brakes work BUT they don't work well...long story. Before I go there I want to see what I can learn about smaller differences in length of push rods that are in the 2.6 inch overall length range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: Master Cyl / Power booster Rod length
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.