LM7 swap - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jan 29th, 10, 11:37 AM
J P

Default LM7 swap

Hey, Im new to the forum and was trying to locate the past topic on this subject. I own a 71 chevelle and would like to put a 5.3 truck motor swap in it. I purchase an engine from a local junk yard from a 07 tahoe. Now what? Are there any shops in the metro NYC area that specialize in this? I read in car craft where they did the same thing for under $3000, Is this realistic? Im not mechanically inclined so all the work will have to be done at a shop.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 29th, 10, 8:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

Default Re: LM7 swap

$3000 is not realistic if you have to pay someone to do it. I would think 5-7K would be more like it.

I never make mistakes, but on occasion I present myself with an opportunity to get very creative.
Old Jan 29th, 10, 8:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

3k is VERY realistic if you keep it as stock as possible.

so what next is buy the 1" setback mounts, and the adapters for the converter and bolt it up.

oh, you need an oilpan shortening or a conversion oilpan

"I don't mean to pee on anyone's parade, but inflated dyno numbers make it tough for honest engine builders to compete." 69 Ratt Vett

The capitalist creed : From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed.
Old Jan 30th, 10, 9:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 chevy View Post
3k is VERY realistic if you keep it as stock as possible.

so what next is buy the 1" setback mounts, and the adapters for the converter and bolt it up.

oh, you need an oilpan shortening or a conversion oilpan
He's paying someone to do all the work!

I never make mistakes, but on occasion I present myself with an opportunity to get very creative.
Old Jan 31st, 10, 1:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I am going to assume you only have the engine. You don't indicate you have anything else.
  • You will need a set of engine mounts and exhaust for the set up. Edelbrock makes one and so do others.
  • You will need a transmission, preferrably one that came with a 5.3 (assumes you want an auto). If you want a manual, you will need that, new mount, some fab work on the floor pan, clutch set up or purchase hydralic clutch set up.
  • You need the accessories up front, you can usually buy the set from a recycling yard. If you have (or want AC), you will need new lines to connect to the factory system (assumes you have that). Need to get the starter as well.
  • From what I have read, the truck pan should fit a Chevelle. If not, you may need an F-body pan instead.
  • You will need the engine and transmission harness from an 07 up. I think 07 is when the cam phasing came out, so you need a harness that has that.
  • You will need electric fuel pump, filter, and regulator for 43-45 psi. No return line is required.
  • You will need to adapt the coolant outlet from the water pump to a Chevelle style radiator. Water pump exists on the passenger side perpendicular to the radiator. you will need to plumb it to the driver's side.
  • Electric fans

That's major stuff, you will need additional items like fuel line connections, power wiring, grounds, misc bolts, etc.

Depending on your skills, time, $$ - this can be done in a garage. If you want to pay someone to do it, start collecting all the above parts and provide everything for them to do the labor. Needing all this will exceed $3k and head towards $5k with labor. If you can do the work yourself, then you save $$$.

Cheers,
E
1970 SS 496 - Cortez Silver, black stripes, black int, forged bottom end, ported 781s, Eddy Air Gap, ProSystem carb, Lunati cam & rockers, Sanderson headers, Vintage Air Front runner, Century Transmission - 200R4, 12 bolt, 3.42s
1993 Formula - Red paint/gray cloth int, 355 LT1, 6 spd, ported heads, Eddy headers, CAIK, Comp cam, 1.6 roller rockers, Borla, Hotchkis, BMR, ROH, GY F1
2005 Tahoe - 20" wheels, cat back, programmer, CAIK, HIDs
2010 VW Passat 2.0L turbo, commuter, 280 hp/325 tq, Unitronic Stage 2, Uni downpipe, 34 mpg on the highway!
Old Feb 5th, 10, 8:26 AM
J P

Thanks for the tips!
Old Feb 7th, 10, 3:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I have an LQ4, L92, cam, Fast intake, 90 mm going into my wife's '65 Elk. Showroom stock from the outside, wicked power, mileage, AC, PS, PB, and auto so she can smoke the hides. 15" ralleys, skinnies, QA1s, sway bars, 4 wheel disc - all wrapped in Butternut Yellow.

E.
1970 SS 496 - Cortez Silver, black stripes, black int, forged bottom end, ported 781s, Eddy Air Gap, ProSystem carb, Lunati cam & rockers, Sanderson headers, Vintage Air Front runner, Century Transmission - 200R4, 12 bolt, 3.42s
1993 Formula - Red paint/gray cloth int, 355 LT1, 6 spd, ported heads, Eddy headers, CAIK, Comp cam, 1.6 roller rockers, Borla, Hotchkis, BMR, ROH, GY F1
2005 Tahoe - 20" wheels, cat back, programmer, CAIK, HIDs
2010 VW Passat 2.0L turbo, commuter, 280 hp/325 tq, Unitronic Stage 2, Uni downpipe, 34 mpg on the highway!
Old Feb 7th, 10, 5:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Sheepster. BAH!

Id sayy worth it, the LSx engines will take a hammering on all day long and dont seem to want to leak or break. Impressed with how my stock 5.3 runs, can only imagine it in a much lighter car, even better with some light mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: LM7 swap
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.