Fuel line install: Inside or outside the frame rail? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jan 27th, 10, 5:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Default Fuel line install: Inside or outside the frame rail?

Fellow drag racers, hotrodders, and muscle car enthusiasts, I would like everyone's opinion, viewpoints, and even speculations on this topic. I'll be installing fuel lines in my 70 Chevelle soon. So please help me out.

This will be a street/strip application. More street, but I need it to also pass tech inspections at drag strips once in awhile too without hassles. My power level with this car is in the 800 HP neighborhood, so we definitely aren't talking a factory stock sized fuel line here, and I'm asking everyone politely to please let's not turn this into a debate on fuel line diameter requirements, because that isn't what I need.

I'm not sure what the NHRA rules are regarding fuel line placement.(I only have the 2006 book, and it seems they add new rules every single year) Do they specify if it has to be inside or outside the frame rails? And if they do not specify, then what are the pros and cons of either placement? FWIW, the car is already painted, and the body mounts where all replaced before the body was put back on the frame, and I haven't any intentions of taking the body back off of the frame to install the fuel lines. I've also boxed-in the left hand and right hand frame rails. So if I do place the line inside the frame, I'll need to snake it through. What are your thoughts? Pros and cons? Please help me with your input. Thankyou in advance. BTW, I'll also be installing a return line going back to the fuel cell. So if there aren't any specifics in the rules, I'll need to decide, if I'll want both feed and return lines inside the rail, both outside, or one in and one out.
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 10, 6:25 AM
Team Member
Mark

Default Re: Fuel line install: Inside or outside the frame rail?

I don't think there are rules saying it has to be inside or outside the rails.

Inside the rails looks cleaner, but the big downside is you can't see the line to inspect it. Also, if you have to snake it in boxed rails, it won't be easy to secure and might vibrate/rub on something and you wouldn't be able to see it until it started leaking.

I got mine mounted on the inside of the rail near the top, which makes it easy to inspect/replace. If you have the teflon lined stuff, keep everything at least a couple inches away from hot stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 27th, 10, 6:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Point well taken about braided hose fraying if it's placed inside the boxed-in rails, but I was thinking that if I placed it inside, I can get some type of heavy shrink tubing to put around it before I snake it through.
Old Jan 27th, 10, 7:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
/\/\ikey

Send a message via MSN to Mikeys69

I have asked this same question before on a different web site. How I under stand it, is you must have the NEW replacement fuel line shielded "boxed". Along side of the flywheel. As for mounting the line it's self. Sorry I can't help. I used the factory mount locations inside the frame for my NEW line.

You said you have a fuel cell. Did you install a "Firewall (front or rear) .032 inch aluminum or .024 inch steel, extending from side to side of the body and from the top of the engine compartment's upper seal (hood, cowl, or deck) to the bottom of the floor and/or bellypan. Firewall must provide a bulkhead between the engine and/or fuel tank and driver compartment. All holes in firewall must be sealed with aluminum or steel." This is a quote from the '09 NHRA rulebook(page 272). It is written almost identical to IHRA rulebook under general reg's.
1969 Chevelle Malibu 406 SB

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386745

Some day I will own a 1967 Chevelle, again.
Old Jan 27th, 10, 7:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeys69 View Post
I have asked this same question before on a different web site. How I under stand it, is you must have the NEW replacement fuel line shielded "boxed". Along side of the flywheel. As for mounting the line it's self. Sorry I can't help. I used the factory mount locations inside the frame for my NEW line.

You said you have a fuel cell. Did you install a "Firewall (front or rear) .032 inch aluminum or .024 inch steel, extending from side to side of the body and from the top of the engine compartment's upper seal (hood, cowl, or deck) to the bottom of the floor and/or bellypan. Firewall must provide a bulkhead between the engine and/or fuel tank and driver compartment. All holes in firewall must be sealed with aluminum or steel." This is a quote from the '09 NHRA rulebook(page 272). It is written almost identical to IHRA rulebook under general reg's.
Thanks for bringing that up. the cell isn't installed yet, but I have one that will be, and I also have sheet metal to install in the trunk.
Old Jan 27th, 10, 7:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

it used to be that if it was a stick car, the fuel line had to run outside the frame where the flywheel was-i actually saw a blown flywheel cut into a frame, so its a wicked hit
to be honest i dont remember anything about autos, but with todays hi stall
converters i would have to look it up-of course, when was the last time any tech guy got down on his hands and knees and looked under a car-even when i had my 903 RWHP Procharged Chevelle, they were more interested if the bat. was properly tied down in the trunk, lol
curious how you get the x member in when you box'ed the frame, did you mod it, since it has to slide into the frame to install-i guess the convertables fit underneath the frame, never looked to see
i'll ask a friend that techs cars, he also does chassis work, he should be up on it
Old Jan 27th, 10, 7:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

I had mine inside the frame rail up to the bellhousing area. I believe the line needs to be shielded where it passses the bellhousing area, UNLESS it is a steel braided line.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01615.jpg
Best pass so far 9.039 at 148.10, 1.266 60'
Old Jan 27th, 10, 7:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcd ind View Post
when was the last time any tech guy got down on his hands and knees and looked under a car-even when i had my 903 RWHP Procharged Chevelle, they were more interested if the bat. was properly tied down in the trunk, lol
curious how you get the x member in when you box'ed the frame, did you mod it, since it has to slide into the frame to install-i guess the convertables fit underneath the frame, never looked to see
i'll ask a friend that techs cars, he also does chassis work, he should be up on it
That's an interesting point you make about tech guys not often getting down on their hands and knees to inspect race cars. Now that you mention it, they never did for the last car that I raced.

As far as how I got the transmission cross member bolted to the frame rails, there were furhter modifications to the frame that I did besides boxing it in. But I also didn't use the factory cross member either. I was doubtful that the 3.5" diameter exhaust that I have would clear the factory cross member anyway, so I bought, modified, and installed one of these Double hump cross members below from Summit racing, and I had mounting brackets for it welded to the frame....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-770308/?rtype=10

Old Jan 27th, 10, 10:47 AM
Team Member
clif

Hey Billy....ya got any pics of ur car you could post??? sure sounds like ur doin it first class and I'm very interested in seeing what it looks like

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/clifw/004-3.jpg
Old Jan 27th, 10, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

Send a message via AIM to BowtieAaron

i have simple 3/8" aluminum line from the pick up to the FP at the motor. its snaked through the from in front of the rear control arm to the motor.
i had a hell of a time getting the small line over the frame at the rear with the body on.
but it wasn't bad from the bell housing area to the front of the car.
i like the cleaner look through the frame, and have less to worry about if you run over something and it comes up under the car.
if you can fit it, run it through the frame.

aaron
368rwhp 383rwtq n/a with carb
12.23 @ 110 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
http://youtu.be/PvZ7tDVyryw
Old Jan 27th, 10, 2:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
Hey Billy....ya got any pics of ur car you could post??? sure sounds like ur doin it first class and I'm very interested in seeing what it looks like
I have a number of pics I can show you, but I don't want this thread to get too far off topic, so if you want to see them, send me a PM with your e-mail, and I'll send ya some via e-mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieAaron View Post
i have simple 3/8" aluminum line from the pick up to the FP at the motor. its snaked through the from in front of the rear control arm to the motor.
i had a hell of a time getting the small line over the frame at the rear with the body on.
but it wasn't bad from the bell housing area to the front of the car.
i like the cleaner look through the frame, and have less to worry about if you run over something and it comes up under the car.
if you can fit it, run it through the frame.

aaron
Aaron, nice post. Thankyou my friend.
Old Jan 27th, 10, 3:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

ill get you some pics within an hour or two. i ran it just like factory looks good.

what size are you thinking? 1/2"?

aaron
12.23 @ 110 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
Old Jan 27th, 10, 3:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I ran my 1/2" aluminum line inside the frame where possible but where the car is back halfed I ran -8an to the fuel pump. I also ran -8an from the 1/2" hard line to the firewall mounted reg. I will build a plate later to move the reg. to in front of the carb but for now it works.
Old Jan 27th, 10, 5:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

so i guess i dont have any pics of the fuel line. i will get some tonight and post them up later.

aaron
12.23 @ 110 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
Old Jan 27th, 10, 6:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Billy, I tried to snake my fuel lines up in the rails....that part of the frame that arches over the axel, and I coulnt get it to go up in there, there was something blocking it. I tried my electrical fish tape, and couldnt get it in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Fuel line install: Inside or outside the frame rail?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.