Sioux valve grinder - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

Old Jan 26th, 10, 8:02 PM
Tech Team
JOHN

Default Sioux valve grinder

I have an older sioux valve grinder. I also have a guy that wants to buy it, but I have no idea what it might be worth. It is complete, but has not been used in years. I'm sure if a guy knew what he was doing, it would be worth picking up. I have no idea what the model # might be at this time, I will have to look. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 10, 12:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rod

Default Re: Sioux valve grinder

They are better than anything simliar on the market today. They havent been made in quite a few years if I recall. You might try searching google and ebay for one similiar to get a price.

My_two_tone_'64

Rod Hill
Industrial Tech. Instructor
Auto, Wood, Electronics, Drafting, and Architecture
Los Banos High
Los Banos California
Old Jan 27th, 10, 1:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Without seeing it I would say anywhere from $300 to $500 depending on model and as long as it works and not worn out.
TC#1986
ACES#4878
NICC#427
MY CHEVELLE
Old Jan 27th, 10, 4:08 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves70SS View Post
Without seeing it I would say anywhere from $300 to $500 depending on model and as long as it works and not worn out.

This spot on. Could be worth more.
If I were you I wouldn't let it go. Especially if you think you'll have a need for it.
If I had one, I'd just have the guys bring me their valves and I would grind them for $1-2 each. Little side cash money maker !!!
16 valves = $32.00
I'm sure you could easily get $20 from your buddies.
It's included when doing a valve job, but occasionally I did have guys just bring me a set of valves to grind and I usually charged $2-3 each.
Old Jan 28th, 10, 12:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr69 View Post
This spot on. Could be worth more.
If I were you I wouldn't let it go. Especially if you think you'll have a need for it.
If I had one, I'd just have the guys bring me their valves and I would grind them for $1-2 each. Little side cash money maker !!!
16 valves = $32.00
It's included when doing a valve job, but occasionally I did have guys just bring me a set of valves to grind and I usually charged $2-3 each.
What good does the tool do for him if he doesnt have the tools and equipment to also do the valve seats too then? You cant just do valves and expect the seats are just going to seal right up once you reinstall them. Seats often need at least some slight amount of work to be smooth enough, and at the right angle in order to seal the valves properly. If you do have the tools to do the seats too. Then you could make some money with this. But you really cant have one and not have to do the other.

I agree with the others. If you dont get any real use out of it. Or dont plan to get any real use out of it in the future. You could get some decent money for it.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
Old Jan 28th, 10, 1:35 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
What good does the tool do for him if he doesnt have the tools and equipment to also do the valve seats too then? You cant just do valves and expect the seats are just going to seal right up once you reinstall them. Seats often need at least some slight amount of work to be smooth enough, and at the right angle in order to seal the valves properly. If you do have the tools to do the seats too. Then you could make some money with this. But you really cant have one and not have to do the other.
I've done hundreds of valve jobs. I'm fully aware of what needs to be done.

"smooth enough and the right angle" That's funny.
You sound like one of those guys that knows just enough to be dangerous.

I wasn't suggesting that he do valve jobs for people. fwiw, I personally have a Sioux portable valve grinding setup. I can grind seats, but I don't have a valve grinder and I go to the machine shop for that. Just so you know, not all valve grinding machines are accurate. Some are more accurate than others. Lot's of guys can do some of their own valve work also. I've had numerous guys bring me their valves to grind. Joe Mondello brought me cyl heads from time to time just to have 1 or 2 seats installed. Some guys have machinist tools, but not always the exact tool they need. This is where they call on other machinists to use their machine or have them do it for them. If you had any machine shop experience you woud know this.
To think this guy might try to grind valves, thinking that is all there is to a valve job, is an insult. I can't believe you even made such an off the wall comment. But it shows that your level of knowledge and experience is low.
Old Jan 28th, 10, 5:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
16 valves = $32.00
Quote:
I wasn't suggesting that he do valve jobs for people.
You say you arent suggesting he do valve jobs for people but then you say something entirely different. You constantly contradict yourself. Do you even pay any attention to your posts or anyone else posts for that matter? Try thinking before you type for once.

Quote:
You sound like one of those guys that knows just enough to be dangerous.
Quote:
it shows that your level of knowledge and experience is low.
Ive been doing this professionally for just under 20 years in a professional envornment and I have plenty of expierence with good machines and machines that are not even in a ball park to being accurate. Not a shadetree that works out of his garage and talks a lot of smack. Your posts have consistantly been an attempt to take shots at others, trying to make yourself look like a big shot. If you call yourself a professional, you certainly dont act like it.

As for Joe Mondello. He is located in Tennessee and your in California. Do you really expect us to believe he, a nationally well known engine builder, sends you, someone that doesnt even work in a machine shop in the first place, cylinder heads to have work done on them? Yea right. Go blow smoke up someone elses ^%%.

Old Jan 28th, 10, 5:59 PM
Tech Team
JOHN

Thanks for the input guys. I got ahold of the guy and he is coming over Sunday to look at it. I didn't give him a price yet, but was thinking $300. I may go $350 and let him talk me down to $300. It needs a lot of tlc, but if this guy is a machinist, well it's no hill for a climber.
Old Jan 28th, 10, 8:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
You say you arent suggesting he do valve jobs for people but then you say something entirely different. You constantly contradict yourself. Do you even pay any attention to your posts or anyone else posts for that matter? Try thinking before you type for once.

Ive been doing this professionally for just under 20 years in a professional envornment and I have plenty of expierence with good machines and machines that are not even in a ball park to being accurate. Not a shadetree that works out of his garage and talks a lot of smack. Your posts have consistantly been an attempt to take shots at others, trying to make yourself look like a big shot. If you call yourself a professional, you certainly dont act like it.

As for Joe Mondello. He is located in Tennessee and your in California. Do you really expect us to believe he, a nationally well known engine builder, sends you, someone that doesnt even work in a machine shop in the first place, cylinder heads to have work done on them? Yea right. Go blow smoke up someone elses ^%%.
I don't appreciate being called out on a internet forum and being called a liar. I have never lied about anything I have ever posted on this site.
And I have never called my self a professional anything. You made that one up on your own.

I didn't suggest that he do valve jobs. You need to reread what I said and use your pea sized brain and try to understand it. I said he could grind their valves for them. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. read it again. I'm not contadicting myself anywhere. You are concocting stuff up. You've got quite a favorably creative mind, I have to say. Favors you !

I did some work for Joe prior to 2003. At the shop where I worked, not at his shop. I have not worked in the machine shop since the earhtquake that shut it down. http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/12/2...ake/index.html
The building that killed the 2 women was 1 block from where I worked. I viewed it immediately after it happened. I watched them put the sheets up to cover the recovery effort.
Yes, Joe brought me work occasionally. It's not really a big deal. I was in and out of their offices all the time back then. I knew all of the guys that worked for him and the guys/gals over at the school before they moved to TN. I saw Joe all the time. He came over to the auto parts store once in a while and would pass thru the shop. It wasn't a big deal. Talked to him before he left CA. The guy I worked with was also friends with him and has been out to TN to see him a few times.
Larry Dixon and Larry Dixon Sr were in the shop from time to time too. I know lots of racers out here. There are tons of big name car guys out here. They're all over the place. A lot of top fuel drivers and their shops.

fwiw, I was in the new machine shop 2 days ago doing some glass beading. I'm in and out of there all the time.

I wasn't name dropping. I was trying to say how this guy could keep his valve grinder and make a little money with it. In these tough times, I'm sure everyone is looking for a little extra income. For beer or a steak or whatever. Sometimes people just need their valves ground on a machine that is used regularly and is known to be accurate. They can do the rest themselves. There are a lot of guys that work in the field (mobil mechanics)and work on tractors and such and maybe don't want to lug a big huge cylinder head into town just to grind the seats. I don't know why we are arguing about that. You obviously live in a small world.

I'm not taking any shots at anybody. And I'm not the big shot. I am actually a very humble person. I do have a lot of knowledge and I like to share it here because life is short.

ok my turn for a cheap shot............
I think with your 12,000+ posts in just 11 years, you are the big shot. Congrats.
You must spend every waking hour here. No social life? Work, go home and sit on the computer all night till you pass out?
Do you even own a Chevelle?

Last edited by Mr69; Jan 28th, 10 at 8:44 PM.
Old Jan 29th, 10, 12:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Do you even own a Chevelle?
Yes as a matter of fact. a 69 and a 66. Both big block cars. Dont try giving my a hard time about how many posts I spend here. You have been here long enough and know how things work here. When I see a troll on this forum im not afraid to call them out on it. If you didnt come around here and act like such a jackass to people there wouldnt be a problem. It doesnt take someone thats been on TC for any lenght of time to see that either. Do you really honestly think there are people out there that would fork out money to be a member of a website year after year, if they didnt share ownership in what the website was all about, in this case Chevelles?

And if your going to give me a hard time about my post count fine. At least I chose to help support this site. What have you done? 5K posts and not even bothering to help support it but you sure are quick to tell people off and behave like a troll. I dont have anything against members that do not want to be a member but without guys like us helping to cover the cost of this site back when Al had it. You would be on another forum trolling up them instead.

Old Jan 29th, 10, 7:25 AM
Senior Tech Team

I've paid the membership every year except the last two. Actually only the last 23 months and that's because they did something to me that I won't discuss with you. But I have my reasons for not paying. I was very rudely violated by management. Lets just leave it at that.

Tell people off and behave like a troll???????? Never happened.
Jackass???? Well, that sounds just like you.

Last edited by Mr69; Jan 29th, 10 at 7:43 AM.
Old Jan 29th, 10, 7:35 AM
Team Member
Joe

This is almost entertaining!!
Old Jan 29th, 10, 7:45 AM
Senior Tech Team

Maybe it's time for me to just dissappear.
I contribute way too much to this site to be treated like this by this scumbag.

Last edited by Mr69; Jan 29th, 10 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jan 29th, 10, 9:56 AM
Team Member
Joe

Good Lord, Sorry. Just tryin to lighten up an internet pee'in match.
Old Jan 29th, 10, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrdlx62 View Post
Good Lord, Sorry. Just tryin to lighten up an internet pee'in match.
Wasn't directed at you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > What's it worth?      Current Topic: Sioux valve grinder
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.