Does Cam Quest Work? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jan 25th, 10, 6:47 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Default Does Cam Quest Work?

I downloaded a free program called Cam Quest. Comp cams is the maker of the program. You put all your engine specs into the program and it shows the hp and torque the engine is supposed to make with different cams. I was just wondering if anyone else has this program, and how accurate it is.

67 Chevelle Crew Cab... 283 .030 over, Comp xe250h, 461 Double Hump heads, Performer RPM Intake,
650 Holley, Summit headers, 2.5 exhaust with Flowmaster 40s, Homebuilt 700r4, and 3.73s and posi.

Dads 69 Chevelle Malibu... 327 Comp XE274h, TH350 3000 Stall, Holley 750 DP, GM 12 bolt 4.10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 26th, 10, 2:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Default Re: Does Cam Quest Work?

I tried it, and I wasn't too impressed with it's accuracy. I also don't like that it only uses COMP cams camshafts, and that it won't allow you to punch in stroker engines. For instance, I couldn't find any way to use it for a 540, a 555, or a 632 CID engine.
Old Jan 26th, 10, 7:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
I tried it, and I wasn't too impressed with it's accuracy. I also don't like that it only uses COMP cams camshafts, and that it won't allow you to punch in stroker engines. For instance, I couldn't find any way to use it for a 540, a 555, or a 632 CID engine.
Billy, you can get it to work with the 496-505-540-555 sizes.

When you're inputting info in the shortblock area, manually type the bore, and then use the ENTER button. Same with stroke. Input the stroke, and then punch the ENTER button.

If you just tab to the next position, it uses default numbers, instead of what you want to input.

I'm using it right now to check it to be sure I'm telling you right. I inputted specs for a 489 and a 555, and it accepted them by using the enter button.

You can manually input the cyl. head airflow numbers, too. The intake/carb numbers need to be inputted from the dropdown menu, or else the program won't show that section to be complete.

Randy
'65 Biscayne 2-dr post (kind of a BIG Chevelle)
Vega S/G (For Sale with REAL nice 18 degree SB motor parts and a 9.40 350 in it.)
several Olds 442's (funny lookin' Chevelles) (2 sold)
Old Jan 26th, 10, 10:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyzRMe View Post

When you're inputting info in the shortblock area, manually type the bore, and then use the ENTER button. Same with stroke. Input the stroke, and then punch the ENTER button.

If you just tab to the next position, it uses default numbers, instead of what you want to input.

I'm using it right now to check it to be sure I'm telling you right. I inputted specs for a 489 and a 555, and it accepted them by using the enter button.

You can manually input the cyl. head airflow numbers, too. The intake/carb numbers need to be inputted from the dropdown menu, or else the program won't show that section to be complete.

Randy
Thanks, Randy, for the foregoing. Even though I did not start this thread, am watching it closely. Do you--or anyone else--know where to get dimensions (runner length and cross-section) for intake manifolds? I've managed to find and input flow numbers for the AFR heads I want to use, but the manifold selection is awfully small, and does not allow comparison of Edelbrock Performer vs Performer RPM. Alternatively, is the Eddy Performer essentially the same as the Vortec intake?
Old Jan 26th, 10, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Moderator

Just an FYI.
CamQuest was written by the same guy that wrote DeskTop Dyno ,Dyno Sim and the current Dynomation engine software.
He's got more but that's all this thread is about.
Comp bought ProRacing,which is the current company.
As posted ,you can manually enter most of the catagory's but keep in mind that it's a freebe from Comp so there's no competitor's cam's in the program.
It can be fairly accurate as long as you realistically enter the values correct and not just guestimates.
It's come + or - 5% on some dynoed engines posted here and on other sites.
If you use it as designed ,to compare cam's ,it does it's job fairly well.
It's not Dynomation or Engine Analyzer so it's hard to build an engine from it.
Old Jan 26th, 10, 12:01 PM
Brandon

Never heard of Dynomation or Engine Analyzer...are these good programs?
http://brandons71chevelle.weebly.com/

ATK HIGH PERFORMANCE ENGINES
WWW.HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINES.COM

Need an engine...shoot me a PM.

Facebook Fan Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/ATK...49964895082371
Old Jan 26th, 10, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 ELK View Post
Thanks, Randy, for the foregoing. Even though I did not start this thread, am watching it closely. Do you--or anyone else--know where to get dimensions (runner length and cross-section) for intake manifolds? I've managed to find and input flow numbers for the AFR heads I want to use, but the manifold selection is awfully small, and does not allow comparison of Edelbrock Performer vs Performer RPM. Alternatively, is the Eddy Performer essentially the same as the Vortec intake?
When I need runner lengths and CSA numbers, I actually measure the runner lengths using 3M 1/4" pinstriping tape and measure the MCSA using inside calipers or snap gauges and a Vernier caliper.

Some head guys (Weld Tech and Chapman for example) list the min. cross section area of their CNC'ed heads, but most do not.

I don't recall seeing anyone ever list the runner length.

If you're measuring runner length, remember to measure the floor AND the roof length, then divide by 2. That will give you the average length through the center.

If I'm inputting flow data into Dynomation, etc., I deduct 5% off the head flow numbers to allow for the intake manifold, and to produce more realistic numbers, unless I have actual numbers that were produced with the intake and heads flowed as a unit. Remember, the engine doesn't run without an intake, and the intake usually knocks down the bench flow numbers of a head by a few %.

JMO!

Randy
Vega S/G (For Sale with REAL nice 18 degree SB motor parts and a 9.40 350 in it.)
Old Jan 26th, 10, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
Never heard of Dynomation or Engine Analyzer...are these good programs?
They're only as good as the info inputted.

GIGO!

They are better than TV for passing time on a winter night, until it's time for bed.

Randy
Old Jan 26th, 10, 2:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:

Randy
Thanks, but I tried that, and it just kept on being changed back to the defualt. I gave up with it anyway, since it only shows you camshafts from COMP. It's just a big advertisement for their cams.
Old Jan 26th, 10, 3:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ron

I used it several years ago, along with Desktop Dyno, and thought it worked ok.

It is obviously dependent on the info entered, and is best used to change one item at a time, such as the cam, and compare the changes.
Old Jan 26th, 10, 7:02 PM
Tech Team
Tim

I run a comp in my 283 and i put in all the specs and it said my engine has 310 hp and 358 ft/lbs. I just didn know how realistic those numbers were.

67 Chevelle Crew Cab... 283 .030 over, Comp xe250h, 461 Double Hump heads, Performer RPM Intake,
650 Holley, Summit headers, 2.5 exhaust with Flowmaster 40s, Homebuilt 700r4, and 3.73s and posi.

Dads 69 Chevelle Malibu... 327 Comp XE274h, TH350 3000 Stall, Holley 750 DP, GM 12 bolt 4.10.
Old Jan 26th, 10, 9:43 PM
Team Member
Tim Smith

In case somebody else already gave the same answer as me,,,,,yes in this one instance I am absolutely guilty of not reading the thread. I rarely do that and I apologize but camquest is not worth reading about, to me. But I have a positive to say, so say it I will.

The ONLY thing I have found camquest to be useful for is if you use your arrow keys to go thru the family of cams, and WATCH THE GRAPH,,,,,you can see something useful. Not much though, because of the way you have to choose an entirely different family of cams, for instance you can't arrow down from a 262 H to a Thumpr and see what it does to the curves. I pay no attention to any of their bogus numbers, but I feel the curves tell something of a trend. I haven't used it in way over a year I think.
Old Jan 27th, 10, 9:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Thanks, Randy! I am constantly amazed at the knowledge and helpfullness of the TC members!

John

Quote:
When I need runner lengths and CSA numbers, I actually measure the runner lengths using 3M 1/4" pinstriping tape and measure the MCSA using inside calipers or snap gauges and a Vernier caliper.

Some head guys (Weld Tech and Chapman for example) list the min. cross section area of their CNC'ed heads, but most do not.

I don't recall seeing anyone ever list the runner length.

If you're measuring runner length, remember to measure the floor AND the roof length, then divide by 2. That will give you the average length through the center.

If I'm inputting flow data into Dynomation, etc., I deduct 5% off the head flow numbers to allow for the intake manifold, and to produce more realistic numbers, unless I have actual numbers that were produced with the intake and heads flowed as a unit. Remember, the engine doesn't run without an intake, and the intake usually knocks down the bench flow numbers of a head by a few %.

JMO!

Randy
Old Feb 14th, 10, 3:34 PM
Tech Team
Andy

I'm glad somebody started a thread on this as I have had some questions too. The main one being their selection of intake manifolds. They show extremely large differences in HP and TQ by changing the manifold from standard flow to high flow to max flow. Whenever I have looked at Summit or Jegs, they don't offer any specs (that I can find anyway) re: airflow. Can somebody help me out and give me an example of standard, high or max flow? Much appreciated.
Old Feb 14th, 10, 3:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Moderator

Standard would be OEM type manifolds be it low rise or high rise factory stuff
High flow is the common aftermarket manifolds
Max is a modified or sheetmetal manifold
That help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Does Cam Quest Work?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.