'69 Cushion Grip Steering wheel ? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
1999 -- Tech Files - reference area
1000's of previous topics

Old Nov 23rd, 99, 3:39 AM
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I have seen mentioned and most of the Chevelle parts catalogs show the 3 spoke cushion grip wheel being available for '69's. However no '69 option lists or Chevrolet brochures I've seen, including the one in the Chevrolet Restoration Pack, show it. Does anyone have documentation of this being available in '69? Just curious. von
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 24th, 99, 3:30 AM
Tech Team

Von
I've never seen anything to indicate that the "cushion grip" sport wheel was originally available on a '69 Chevelle. Only sport wheel option in '69 was N34 which was simulated rosewood.
If I were selling "cushion grip" reproductions, I'd probably tell people "it fits" too.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

Old Nov 24th, 99, 7:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

The cushion 3 spoke was an option on '69 '70 Buick GS, don't know of others.
Old Nov 24th, 99, 7:44 PM
RatMotor69

Late in the production run for '69's, if you checked off the sport wheel option, you got the cushion grip wheel. My car was built on the 5th week of July at the Kansas plant.

Also, my Chevelle has a Buick Skylark style turn signal lever. Finding a replacement has NOT been easy!

Rick

[This message has been edited by RatMotor69 (edited 11-24-99).]
Old Nov 25th, 99, 3:12 AM
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

RatMotor69, Are you saying the cushion grip wheel was installed in place of the simulated rosewood wheel late in the run? von
Old Nov 27th, 99, 4:57 PM
RatMotor69

I was skeptical at first, but apparently that is what happened. I never found a build sheet in my car, and it had another steering wheel on it when I bought it, but the owner gave me, what he said, was the ORIGINAL steering wheel. I have been told by former workers at the Baltimore Plant they remember the same thing, and that the RED steering wheels kept cracking and breaking. This was GM's fix. I'm reasonably confident this is true. When I was looking for my first car, I remember checking out a LOADED Lemans Blue '69 SS and it had the same wheel in it. But back in 1980, I wasn't looking for matching numbers cars, correct trim tags, and build sheets.

While attending an NCOA Convention years ago, the Senior Judge said he had seen this wheel in '69's also, (only in late-production cars) and explained it was a late season replacement. He had even parted one out with that wheel in it. So to answer your question, I'd confidently say YES!

Hope this helps!

Rick
Old Nov 28th, 99, 6:06 AM
kenn

I have owned a 69 el camino with this cusion grip steering wheel.it reminded me of the 68 wood wheel in size and the depth.Buick made one[I put them on top of each other to compare size]and the buick was a little bit smaller in size and depth.Hope that this was some help.
Old Nov 28th, 99, 6:22 AM
Tech Team

I recently saw one at eBay. Said it was for a Chevelle. It was in nice shape too. Try a search on "Chevelle".

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Team Chevelle > Archives > 1999 --      Current Topic: '69 Cushion Grip Steering wheel ?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.