Petition for a drag strip on Long Island.... - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old Jan 15th, 10, 3:58 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Default Petition for a drag strip on Long Island....

Hey guys/gals....its been awhile since I posted. Sorry, but with all of the help I got from chevelles.com in the past, my 71 Chevelle is all sorted out. I haven't had to do anything to her except drive her!! It's definatley a good thing.

I posting a link for an online petition. I have nothing to do with the petition other than trying to help out the cause.

http://www.petitiononline.com/LI2010/petition.html

Its for building a new race track on Long Island. Currently we have no track and the closest track to us is probably E-Town.

We used to have Long Island Dragway, but it was torn down to out up houses. Sad for sure. Personally, I have gone in a different direction in life and drag racing is kinda in my past. But I am sure that there are plenty of people here who can sympathize with Long Islanders who want a track. I signed it hopefully a bunch of you can too. Thanks -Joe

BTW, the 71 in the pic is mine...and the 67 is my brothers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0967.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	26470   Click image for larger version

Name:	5576_12.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	26471  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 15th, 10, 4:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
-Allan-

Default Re: Petition for a drag strip on Long Island....

All they want to build is shopping malls around here!!!! We need more malls, didn't you know that? Low Income housing???

There are 2 unused 10,000 foot runways in Calverton, they'd rather put a 10 story INDOOR ski slope than a motorsports park... I gues they'll recommission the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant to supply the amount of electricity the ski slope would need...

Word is that the Riverhead oval is doomed...

Bridgehampton was a landmark and is now a golf course...

This island sucks!

Old Jan 15th, 10, 4:17 PM
Team Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteOwlNY View Post
All they want to build is shopping malls around here!!!! We need more malls, didn't you know that? Low Income housing???

There are 2 unused 10,000 foot runways in Calverton, they'd rather put a 10 story INDOOR ski slope than a motorsports park... I gues they'll recommission the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant to supply the amount of electricity the ski slope would need...

Word is that the Riverhead oval is doomed...

Bridgehampton was a landmark and is now a golf course...

This island sucks!

NOOOO!!!!!!!

Say it's not so!

Riverhead Raceway is the high point of my trips back to Long Island. I put in a few hundred laps myself back in the 70s.
Old Jan 15th, 10, 4:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
john

In my area I have to drive either two hours to Lebannon,Island drags or E-town.I also wish there was something closer.I would definately turn my car into a full 1/4 mile drag car.I feel your pain!
pistons .049 heads 2.19/1.88 manley/116cc,harland sharp roller rockers,Cam 501/527,214/224 at .050.air gap 750 double pump .3.73 posi.9.6:1 compression Th400-Hughes 3,000 stall speed bm holeshot converter. Best time 12.2
Old Jan 15th, 10, 7:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Send a message via AIM to MrBill66Malibu

I spent my first 30 yrs on the Island and the past 18.5 here in NC. I havent been back in 10+ years. I went back in November, what a disappointment, the place is SOOO crowded and dirty you really cant go home again.

It's very sad, the place was a great place to grow up in the 60's and 70's
3:42 posi
1/8 mile 8.6 @ 84mph not too impressive LOL
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...libu/Chevelle/
Old Jan 15th, 10, 8:00 PM
Team Member
gary

I signed the petition as the strip is sorely needed. But from what I've been told it will never happen. Riverhead town is so screwed up it's not funny. They can't even get the movie theater issued resolved. All that land and it's still empty. I left Grumman in 1993 and here it is 2010 and still nothing on the land but owls and deer. Thank god they can't build houses or condo's on it.
Riverhead town has lost millions on lost revenue since Grumman left. And they put the tax burden on the home owners.
And now this ski jump which will never get build. How many more years will this go on. Riverhead Speedway is a dump and it's having issues with low car counts and low attendance. The drag strip would be a gold mine for someone, but the town will never let it happen.

Gary

Rod Steiger, The Longest Day

Long Island Chevelles # 69
Team Chevelle # 3179
ACES # 7401
Old Jan 15th, 10, 8:44 PM
Tech Team
Joe

As I get older....I find that Long Island is becoming increasingly harder to deal with. Now with all of the taxes...small businesses are closing up daily. You cant go 2 traffic lights on Sunrise Highway without seeing a building for rent. Now even an icon of Massapequa is shutting its doors. Massapequa Hardware is closing down. Its getting really sad. I will be leaving one day too.
Old Jan 15th, 10, 9:21 PM
Team Member
Dave

If Riverhead and Southampton townships are as difficult to deal with as Brookhaven... the Island is doomed.
Old Jan 15th, 10, 9:31 PM
Tech Team
AL

Send a message via AIM to The Big Al

I don;t want to be negative. And wish all of you great success.

You have bigger issues.

Bruton Smith, Owner of many Speedays and Dragstrips tried to build on Long Island.
He said dealing with labor and other obsticles not found in other parts of the country, it was not worth the hassle or the cost to even consider building any type race track in the area.

QUOTE:
"Tony Soprano lives near there," Smith said. "There are just things you need to do. I determined at that time that it would take us 10 years to do all the things you have to do up there in order to ever open that speedway. Ten years? You get a lesser sentence sometimes for murder. I just decided I didn't want to do it."

Al

http://www.cardomain.com/id/alsmith1214

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
Old Jan 15th, 10, 9:56 PM
Team Member
gary

This island is very screwed up. It's all the townships that are ruining Long Island. A classic example of how things are here on Long Island is the lighthouse project and Charle Wang. This example shows how the governments will not work with any business. If Wang can't get this project through will all his money and backing, how can the strip ever get built.
Wang and Hempstead town won't even sit down and talk it thru.
I read with great interest about Burton Smith and his insight into Long Island and I can't agree with him more.
As for long island it is slowly disappearing. And if I could find a job out of state I would leave tomorrow.

Gary

Team Chevelle # 3179
ACES # 7401
Old Jan 15th, 10, 9:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Send a message via AIM to MrBill66Malibu

I am so glad I left when I did!!!!
3:42 posi
1/8 mile 8.6 @ 84mph not too impressive LOL
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...libu/Chevelle/
Old Jan 15th, 10, 10:01 PM
Team Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill66Malibu View Post
I am so glad I left when I did!!!!

Ditto that! Been gone 14 years.
Old Jan 15th, 10, 10:10 PM
Team Member
gary

For the guys who have left this dying region, I'M JEALOUS
And do you have room for 1 more?

Team Chevelle # 3179
ACES # 7401
Old Jan 15th, 10, 10:15 PM
Team Member
Dave

Always room for one more in the land of year-round Chevelle cruising!!!

To give an example of how bad Brookhaven town can be, my parents bought a house on a small lot in the mid 60s, and after a few years my father decided he wanted a bigger garden. So he bought the vacant lot next door.

Now fast-forward 30 years. They're getting older, the garden is too much work, so he decides to sell that lot. But surprise! Sometime over that 30 years, without ever even notifying them, the town merged those two properties into one deed. And they required on the order of $10,000 in fees (apparently that's what they call bribes these days) to get them split again.
Old Jan 15th, 10, 10:26 PM
Team Member
gary

Dave, that do that here in Southampton town. They had and i'm not sure if it's still in effect something called flag lots. If you have an unsized property, you could buy another flag lot anywhere within the town. Then they would add up the properties on paper and if the sum of both lots add up, you could
build a house on the lot. Just another way of creating accounting.

Gary

Team Chevelle # 3179
ACES # 7401
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Bench Racing      Current Topic: Petition for a drag strip on Long Island....
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.