71-72 SS sport side mirrors - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

Old Jan 13th, 10, 11:15 AM
Tech Team
dbull

Default Re: 71-72 SS sport side mirrors

I remember reading all 13860's(customs) had the d-33 remote mirror.SS was an option package built on this chassis, but I don't know if the sport mirrors were included.DBULL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 13th, 10, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookpr View Post
Not sure. D33 was an ordered option to the best of my knowlege. Perhaps something changed later in the year. My '71 was a May '71 vehicle. My '70 has the single standard (non-remote) mirror. I like it better as it is no so honking big as the D33. Remote is really only advantagous to multiple drivers.

Digging through some old paper photos of a '72 SS that I owned at one time which I bought with 9000 miles. T totally unmolester car retaining the Muncie shifter and NO mods whtsoever, it too came with the D33 single remote chrome mirror. I could not remember if it had the remote or the base mirror so I did not mention it earlier. But for certain came with the D33. With that said, my comment about the possibility of early '71 having the D33 and changing over later must not be true!
Old Jan 14th, 10, 12:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Send a message via Yahoo to 72convertibless454

just my two cents. My 72 does not have a passenger side mirror and it is not noted on the build sheet. My driver side mirror is remote.

My Real W Convertible
MysixtysixProject
Old Jan 14th, 10, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bob

Note:
The D-33 was an option in 70, It cost $10.33. Also the mirror heads are all the same. There are TWO different D-33 mirror bases one base fits El Caminos the other base fits Chevelles / Monte Carlos.
I found two D-33 mirrors in a junk yard from a Monte. The heads are the same. When the Monte base mounted on a Camino the head sits at an angle, Due to the different door shape.
A hard item to find is the D-33 mounting gasket. 70 El Caminos did NOT have two mirrors from the factory. I had a gutter clip-on mirror I used in (not sure of the year) mid 73-75???? to get my El Camino state inspected. Then it went back under the seat. I believe a Federal Law was passed, DATE ???? That all Trucks had to be equipped with two outside rear view mirrors. Not sure about the cars.
My one owner Z-15 El Camino still has the D-33 ( I ordered it ) on the drivers door, Pass. door is still Org. NO Mirror. I have PA. " ANTIQUE " plates, If not, I would have to attach an outside mirror on the right side.
Bob
Old Jan 14th, 10, 2:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

The Bullet sport mirror was introduced on the 71 model year after it had started production, the time varies between plants. The early cars had the Chrome mirror that was remote as it was a standard part of the SS package. ALL Elcamino SS in 71 and 72 had a Chrome remote mirror, there was never a Bullet mirror from the factory for that application. There was NEVER a passenger side Bullet mirror available for the Chevelle thru new car order or parts departmant PERIOD!!!!! Many people added a 73 Nova sport mirror which was similar in design, slightly smaller in size but was close to the contour of the upper door and would attach at a slight angle. I know I put sport mirrors on my LS-6 right after I got it way back in the Mid Seventies. I researched it way back then to see what would fit when they were abbundent at the wrecking yards.

Jim
Owner of Super Sport Sales and Service ,www.supersportsales.net Over 30 years of restoring Chevelle's for customer's Coast to Coast. Adward winning service since 1980! Frame off's to interiors,engine compartments,trunks and more ,Details make the difference! Expert LS6 L78 L34 Prepurchase Evaluation and Muscle Car locating service 302-420-4743
Old Jan 14th, 10, 11:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Marc S

I did some reading and guestimating. It appears at first glance that F Body/X Body bullet mirrors may fit Elco doors pretty well. Not Chevelle doors though. Could be wrong but the angle of the base of F Body mirrors is close to the Elco door curve.
Old May 3rd, 13, 8:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHED View Post
There is a guy on this site that can convert sport mirrors (GM) to work just like original ones but they are pricey. I bought a pair at Chevellabration 08 that I have not got back from the body shop yet. I think his web site is spoilersbyrandy as he also makes spoilers for our cars . Somewhere I have his business card . He was also at CB last year.
I've made my own mirrors from a non-Chevelle pair of mirrors. As long as the angle is not too far off, with a little care you can modify the base angle with a belt sander, and use a dremmel cut-off wheel to trim the inner web that the bracket clips to. Here is my 71 with a pair of non-Chevelle mirrors I picked up on ebay for $30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Restoration Corner      Current Topic: 71-72 SS sport side mirrors
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.