eton 90cc quad wont start - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old Dec 17th, 09, 2:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Default eton 90cc quad wont start

So I been looking for a small quad for track/pit bike. I found a eton 90cc raptor for cheap. It wont start, not sure why was told could be CDI box or coil but previous owner says he replaced those parts but not the stator witch of course is the most expensive part. anyone work on quads? how would I go about testing things without hurting them with my volt ohm meter? the engine cranks fine has gas and compression. thanks TC
Advertisement

Old Dec 17th, 09, 8:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Default Re: eton 90cc quad wont start

What year? I found that the ignition systems are pretty reliable. I did come across an old honda ATC 90 with a rusty magneto, causing a weak spark.

I would get a manual if a multimeter is needed to diagnose.
Old Dec 17th, 09, 10:50 AM
Tech Team
Bruce

I had a 50 cc quad (off brand) a few years ago for my sons. If it sat for more than just a few days, it was difficult to start. What I found was that the gas in the bowl of the carb would go bad very quickly. The carb had a drain fitting with a piece of rubber hose that went down under the chasis. I would just uncork that and drain the bowl before use. That solved the problem for me. It started right up after that. Just a thought....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 17th, 09, 11:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

thanks guys I bought it as is its a Baja 90 with reverse not a eton and it cranks has spark but doesn't start ill get it home today and fiddle with it. I will for sure drain the gas and refill it with known good gas. Its kinda a risk but for 250 cash I am not gonna pass on it. its in great shape its a 2006 model.
Old Dec 17th, 09, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

If it has spark as stated, I would put a new plug in and give it a try.

This is a 4 stroke right?
Old Dec 17th, 09, 1:29 PM
Tech Team
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
If it has spark as stated, I would put a new plug in and give it a try.

This is a 4 stroke right?
Well my son's 50 cc was a two stroke, so maybe that was why I had the problem where I had to drain the carb bowl after it sat for a week. It was not a "pre-mix" either...it had separate tanks for oil and gas.
Old Dec 17th, 09, 1:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

The problem with these small engines is they have small carbs, which have small orifices. It doesn't take much or long for gunk to prevent it from firing up.

Give the engine a sniffer of gas down the throat of carb. See if she'll fire.
Old Dec 17th, 09, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

if it doesnt start, pull the carb, unbolt the float bowl, its usually the pilot jet that gets clogged. get a wire off a wire brush and run it through the pilot jet. Do the same to the main jet, since your in there anyway. pilot jet is for start and idle. You'd be surprised how many "dead" honda ATC's ive bought because of this. These things for some reason is real touchy about the plugs too. so having a couple of new ones never hurt. jim
71 el camino, SS clone (sold!)
71 nova 350 4 speed with 4.10 gears! Sold
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block!
67 el camino 307/th400-3.31 12bolt
Old Dec 17th, 09, 11:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

thanks guys gonna swap plug to new. found a bad starter switch. 4 stroke engine. it has a remote kill so am checking it out to.
Old Dec 18th, 09, 11:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

ok so the syliniod is not working dont know if its getting power from the switch or not loaned out my volt ohm meter to a friend and I don't have a test light gonna have to wait till i get the meter back to check out what is wrong. thanks guys atleast I got it to turn over by jumping the niod.
Old Dec 19th, 09, 12:09 AM
Senior Tech Team

some of these things may have a neutral safety switch, my honda scooter, you had to have the brake on before the electric start would work. (I got a honda elite basically for free because of this issue.). jim
Old Dec 19th, 09, 9:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

thanks Jim I had to bypass the start button seems there is a break somewhere in the wire that feeds the switch from the key switch so I am gonna run a new wire from one to the other. Found a blown fuse on the battery thought that might have been it but that made the lights work and got me spark but didn't fix the starter button I checked for a safety switch it has one but its got power on both terminals when its in neutral. so not that. I did get it started and rode it around the block twice tonight bogs a lot but the gas I drained from it was nasty so put new gas in it and rode it around have to leave the choke on part way for it to run but runs good other wise it has an aftermarket air cleaner and I am wondering if they re jetted for it. I think cleaning out the carb and getting a new battery will help the battery in it now wont hold a charge dang walmart wants 25 bucks for a tiny battery. Ill get one. thanks guys
Jeff
Old Dec 19th, 09, 10:19 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

We pulled apart one of these small, off brand 4 wheelers this past week.
It too wouldn't start.
Found out the woodrift key on the crankshaft end that drives the stator was broken. Replaced it and it runs fine.

Team Chevelle #613
ACES #3920
CAMI (Ireland) #14
CanAm Chevelles #136
Carolina Chevelles #185
Heart Of Dixie #231
Long Island Chevelles #113
Old Dec 20th, 09, 1:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsCamino View Post
We pulled apart one of these small, off brand 4 wheelers this past week.
It too wouldn't start.
Found out the woodrift key on the crankshaft end that drives the stator was broken. Replaced it and it runs fine.
Cool I am riding this one. lol Just need to run a new wire for the starter button and its done. Found some acid at checker, drained the battery refilled it and put it on 2amp charge over night. After dumping the old acid and refilling it the charger said it was 75% charged. It had almost no acid in it. I think someone kept filling it with water or something. It was low but seemed like it had no acid left. The new stuff was 8 bucks got enough to refill it 3 times so if it fails again Ill drain and refill and recharge it again. I didn't wanna do it like that but the battery is a weird part number and checker wanted $78 for it the one Walmart had wouldn't fit so just gonna hope replacing this ones acid and recharging fixes it till the summer.
Old Dec 20th, 09, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech Team

we have a batteryplus here, they carry the oddball batteries for around 40 bucks. If cleaning the jets in the carb doesnt help, try raising the needle in the carb. Basically the main needle is the one thats on the slide. the needle should have a c clip or E clip holding it to the slide, and theres 3 or 4 rings on the top of the needle. basically you putting the E clip on the next ring to the needle is raised out of the main jet. This enriches the mid range circuit so you can ride with the choke off. BUT if its not wanting to idle, its usually the pilot jet (the small one next to the main jet) is usually pluged. jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Bench Racing      Current Topic: eton 90cc quad wont start
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.