How to remove ignition switch on 69 chevelle.. HELP !! - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

Old Dec 11th, 09, 2:40 PM
Tech Team
Larry

Default How to remove ignition switch on 69 chevelle.. HELP !!

I'm having trouble removing my ignition switch from my 69 chevelle steering column. I have it pretty much disassembled but the switch itself won't come out. I've unbolted all visible bolts and the switch won't come out of the column. What am I doing wrong ? Thanks for any info anyone may have . HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 11th, 09, 3:11 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Default Re: How to remove ignition switch on 69 chevelle.. HELP !!

If we are talking about the tumbler/cylinder....It's been a long time since I had to change one....but after the steering wheel & turn signal cam is off and you are down to the casting just above the tumbler assembly there is a small piece of casting that has to be removed. You can use a flat tip screwdriver and punch it out. This allows you to depress the part of the tumbler (keeper) that keeps the cylinder in the column.
If it is the switch on the top of the column...do you have the push rod disconnected?
99 V-6 camaro daily driver
Old Dec 11th, 09, 4:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

The ignition switch is held onto the top of the column with two screws.

The lock cylinder removal:
http://www.chevelles.com/archive/files/69ignrem.htm

http://www.chevelles.com/archive/

Gold Founding Member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club
Old Dec 11th, 09, 6:43 PM
Tech Team
Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old geezer View Post
I'm having trouble removing my ignition switch from my 69 chevelle steering column. I have it pretty much disassembled but the switch itself won't come out. I've unbolted all visible bolts and the switch won't come out of the column. What am I doing wrong ? Thanks for any info anyone may have . HELP
http://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4797
Old Dec 12th, 09, 9:01 AM
Senior Tech Team

You need to remove the steering wheel, hub, and locking plate. Then remove the three screws that hold the turn signal switch in place. Pull the switch partially out of the steering column so that you will have access to the housing floor.

Please note, on a 1969 steering column there are no screws holding the lock cylinder in place. In fact, it wasn't until 1979 that the design was changed and a single cross bolt held the lock cylinder in place.

The 1969-78 lock cylinder has a metal tab that is spring loaded and engages a rectangular slot in the housing floor and locks it in place.

You need to insert a narrow screwdriver blade into the slot and depress the tab. The lock cylinder should slide right out.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Electrical & Wiring      Current Topic: How to remove ignition switch on 69 chevelle.. HELP !!
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.