A quart of oil per hundred miles - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Dec 8th, 09, 7:28 PM
Tech Team
Robert

Default A quart of oil per hundred miles

Hello guys,
I have a terrible problem that I can't seem to figure out. I have a 383 with an oil use problem- about a quart per hundred miles. Engine has about 2k miles since build. Pistons are KB, rings are Mahle 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 premium. Top ring gap is .030", second is .016". Engine did pretty good for about 1200 miles, according to customer, but now it SUCKS oil. Power is very good, no noticeable blowby, no oil leaks, no oil in the PCV hose, valve covers are properly baffled, new EQ 180 heads, rings are installed with the marking up as per instructions. Tops of pistons are washed clean with oil!!! Cylinder walls are in excellent shape, no wear, no scuffing, done with a deck plate by a very experienced machinist.

WHAT'S UP??????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 8th, 09, 7:39 PM
Gold Founding Member

Default Re: A quart of oil per hundred miles

Intake manifold gasket problem? Intake and head don't match; oil vacuumed into port from underneath?

Would also create a vacuum leak AND reduce obvious signs of blowby. Any problem getting decent idle quality?
Old Dec 8th, 09, 7:59 PM
Tech Team
Robert

Intake is sealed properly, ports are clean and dry, back of intake valves are clean and dry also so no oil through the intake. Tops of pistons are washed and very oily. Engine is apart now trying to find the problem. Engine had very little smoke, none you could see from inside the car, power, response were very good. Filled the pan, marked the stick then drove about 100miles with a stop at about 50 miles just to check. First 50 were very hard with several WOT runs, 3k+ on the freeway. used enough oil to see the drop on the stick, but not near half a quart. Second 50 was easy driving in traffic and used more than half a quart!!!!! If it was a race car, I wouldn't touch it.
Rings are standard tension, not low tension.
Old Dec 8th, 09, 8:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Valve seals damaged? Possibly by too much lift or improperly installed or NOT installed. That happened to a friend of mine. Drove a fresh 307 for approx 1500 miles or so and it started to smell like burning oil. Funny thing is that it didn't smoke hardly at all. He took the car to the machine shop and they discovered that they had forgotten to put the seals in!
Old Dec 8th, 09, 8:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kyle

Did you seal up the threaded hole used to hold the Fuel Pump push rod in place during a mechanical fuel pump install?

[OO] Malibu [OO]
70 Chevelle - Malibu
TC #4464
Old Dec 8th, 09, 11:00 PM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

I'm guessing the cylinder walls are glazed. run a 320 grit ball hone through it, try it again. re-use the rings but double check that they're right side up.
Old Dec 8th, 09, 11:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Were you running synthetic oil?

Winner- 2011 Car Craft "Real Street Eliminator" competition
Old Dec 8th, 09, 11:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

have you noticed wear patterns on the rings or cyl walls such as perpindicular lines or polished marks on the rings. my guess is the rings did not seat. if they dont in the first minute or so they wont for a long time. i assume the rings were installed properly , the cylinders were honed with the right grit and cross hatch. piston to wall clearance right. last thing; did you over oil the piston assy's during installation? that will absolutely keep rings from seating with moly rings and the slick cyl finishes generally used. very small amount of oil on the skirts with the rings dry. use total seal dry lube
Old Dec 9th, 09, 7:02 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Robert,
Any chance of posting a picture of the rings still on the pistons ? Close up would be best.

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
Old Dec 9th, 09, 8:32 AM
Tech Team
Robert

Matt's 66: Valve seals are perfect, plently of clearance, positive teflon seals, valve heads are dry, no intake leaks.

350 Malibu: I know the bolt you are talking about and it is tight with sealer, no other leaks, it is powder dry everywhere.

Tom Mobley: Cylinder walls may be a little shiny and the block is at the machine shop now to be re-honed on Sunnen machine with deck plate. My vision is not what it used to be so I had to take it to someone else. Will let you know. Rings were right side up on every piston, show NORMAL early break in wear with light ring all the way around the rings.

Scotch: The engine was run about 50 miles with 30wt non detergent oil then Mobile One was used. I had asked for Joe Gibbs Break In Oil to be used but the installer thought this was too expensive and overkill.

gnicholson: There are no vertical scratches, etc. The skirts were lubed with assembly lube, wrist pins with 30wt nd oil, walls wiped with ATF prior to assemble and the rings were dry.

Bill K: I don't have a digital camera and don't know how to post pictures anyway but I will try to find someone who can.

Thanks for the help!!!! I have built a lot of motors since my first in the summer of 1960 and few have given me a fit like this one!!!!
Old Dec 9th, 09, 12:25 PM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

30 wt non-d? ouch, who thought of that? that deal has been obsolete for 40 years. hope you're running a roller cam. skip the syn oil.

put it back together, just use regular dino oil. See Gary's note about oiling the piston/rings at assembly.
Old Dec 9th, 09, 1:15 PM
Tech Team
Robert

I usually use the Joe Gibbs breakin oil for flat tappets. This engine is HR.
30wt nd was installer's idea because he didn't want to pay for the Joe Gibbs.
I usually use Valvoline or Castrol of appropriate weights for breakin for at least 3k, then maybe go synthetic and have had no issues for many years.
Old Dec 9th, 09, 5:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

If you'd have done your 3,000 mile deal with this one, I think you'd have been fine. I think the synth was sneaking past the rings. I doubt they were fully seated before the Mobil 1 was added.

Just my opinion...but I've seen this happen before.

Winner- 2011 Car Craft "Real Street Eliminator" competition
Old Dec 9th, 09, 5:54 PM
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
If you'd have done your 3,000 mile deal with this one, I think you'd have been fine. I think the synth was sneaking past the rings. I doubt they were fully seated before the Mobil 1 was added.

I think you are probably right. That is how it WILL be done this time. I have found nothing out of the ordinary and neither have the other people I have had look. Rings have a very thin rub line where they meet the cylinder walls.
I had the machine shop rehone on the Sunnen machine just for insurance. I NEVER want to do this again
Old Dec 9th, 09, 9:28 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post

Scott,

I have used Mobil 1 in engines from the beginning several times and have not had a single problem. GM puts it in every Corvette and every Caddy from the factory and it works just fine.

Just my opinion,

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: A quart of oil per hundred miles
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.