using SBC for methanol? Can i do it? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Nov 27th, 09, 11:21 PM
Tech Team
Brandon

Default using SBC for methanol? Can i do it?

I'm building my BB for street use, so nothing too fancy. But when thats in, i think i'm gonna tear down and rebuild my 350 into maybe a 383, and have been kicking around the idea of having it run off of methanol. I'll probably never use it, unless i fabricate my grandfathers '95 Geo Prism to run it, XD or i buy a cheap car to race.

So really, this is just a ****s and giggles thing, but what engine mods would i have to make to have the 350 run all methanol. Can i even do it? iron or aluminum heads? i'd probably need high compression right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 28th, 09, 12:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Default Re: using SBC for methanol? Can i do it?

Would you believe, there have been guys running Methanohol in race cars for longer than you have probably been alive.
No special parts needed. However, it is very corrosive. And, it takes aprox. 80% more fuel to make the same power as gasoline.
You can run all the compression you want without detonation. We run 11:75 to 1 with 40lbs. of boost and 34 degrees of timing, to make 4hp. per ci.

I know some guys who drive to the track on 92 pump gas and run Methanohol at the track with the same carb. Don't even remove it. Tricky!
The front bowl is plumbed with gasoline. The rear bowl is plumbed with Methanohol. It will pick up a mid 8 sec. car on gas to low 8's. Usually around .3 . Turn one pump off, the other on. Change the linkage, fill a 1 gal. cell in the front of the car, and race. Drive home on 92. Hot lapping is no problem either. This really is a good way to have your cake and eat it too.
Old Nov 28th, 09, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

The .030" over 350 in my Vega has been on Methanol for 15 years. It's an easy, simple combination.

ANCIENT 1st design AFR 210cc 23 degree standard port aluminum heads that have been angle milled to 55cc chambers. No porting, just a bowl blend and cleanup. Vic Jr., HP950 alcohol carb, about 14-1 compression with Manley pistons and low-drag oil rings, a Lunati 50140 roller with 1.6 arms on the intake and 1.5 on the exhaust, K-Motion 1.550 springs, stock GM steel crank, Venolia aluminum rods, 1 3/4" headers. Crank trigger ignition locked at 40 degrees timing.

I use a Powerglide with an 8" converter that stalls 5900-6100 depending on weather, 4.88 gears, and 14.5x32x15W Hoosier slicks.

It is relatively cheap and easy to build and maintain. It runs 9.30's @ 143.50-144 in a 2300lb. (with me in it) car. Launches at 6000, and goes through the traps at 7500. Shift at 7200.

I use a Mallory Comp 250 methanol electric pump, big port Holley methanol regulator, -8 lines from the fuel cell to the carb, and -10 return line from the regulator back to the tank (very important IMO).

DO NOT use aluminum fuel line. The methanol is very corrosive to aluminum.

Every few years, depending how much I race it, I dingleball-hone it, throw in fresh rings, touch up the valve job, new valve springs, new aluminum rods, new cheapie Lunati roller lifters, bearings, and I'm good to go for a few more years.

Randy
'65 Biscayne 2-dr post (kind of a BIG Chevelle)
Vega S/G (For Sale with REAL nice 18 degree SB motor parts and a 9.40 350 in it.)
several Olds 442's (funny lookin' Chevelles) (2 sold)
Old Dec 2nd, 09, 3:13 PM
Tech Team
Brandon

So all i would have to do is get a carb suitable for methanol, and ensure i get proper head work done with the seals and rings and stuff? or do that and then ensure i use top end lube to prevent seals from drying out over time?

How would it sound if i

bored it .030
400 crank
domed pistons to boost compression up from the 9.5:1 it is now
head work (larger valves, etc.)
aluminum intake
800 cfm or so methanol carb

basically an alcohol 383?

and getting the fuel is no problem because my grandfather is friends with the owner of Jims Racing Tires/Speed Equipment who is a VP Fuels dealer

Old Dec 2nd, 09, 6:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Klotz Synthetic Top Lube and heating the engine to 200-210 at the end of the day will keep the corrosion and moisture problems away. I left the alky in the fuel cell and carb over the off season (5 mon.) without any ill effects. Lots of bad and untrue urban legands about alky. Properly prepped carb is most important. You might consider E-85, too.....

Steve O.
Old Dec 2nd, 09, 9:17 PM
Tech Team
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorvation View Post
Klotz Synthetic Top Lube and heating the engine to 200-210 at the end of the day will keep the corrosion and moisture problems away. I left the alky in the fuel cell and carb over the off season (5 mon.) without any ill effects. Lots of bad and untrue urban legands about alky. Properly prepped carb is most important. You might consider E-85, too.....

Steve O.
awesome sounds simple enough, so how does an alcohol'd 383 sound? has it been done before and any specs on a motor already done up?

Old Dec 2nd, 09, 10:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj_70 View Post
awesome sounds simple enough, so how does an alcohol'd 383 sound? has it been done before and any specs on a motor already done up?
A high compression alcohol engine sounds like a high compression race-gas engine. Methanol is NOT nitromethane.

I gave you the complete specs of my entire car in a previous post ^^^. Add a 1/4" stroke for the 383, a 750 alcohol carb, and you're good to go. The 383 would potentially be about 35 hp stronger than my 355.

Randy
Vega S/G (For Sale with REAL nice 18 degree SB motor parts and a 9.40 350 in it.)
Old Dec 2nd, 09, 10:43 PM
Tech Team
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyzRMe View Post
A high compression alcohol engine sounds like a high compression race-gas engine. Methanol is NOT nitromethane.

I gave you the complete specs of my entire car in a previous post ^^^. Add a 1/4" stroke for the 383, a 750 alcohol carb, and you're good to go. The 383 would potentially be about 35 hp stronger than my 355.

Randy
i didn't exactly mean sounds as in audible but more of how does the idea sound.

Old Dec 3rd, 09, 12:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorvation View Post

Steve O.
A friend of mine bought a BBC alcohol car equiped with Ron's Toilet two years ago. It had been sitting undrained for some time. Everything was shot: pump, nozzles, lines, shutoff, throttle valve. There is often a grain of truth to urban legends. I don't know how long the car sat. Be prepared to properly maintain an alcohol car. Treat the parts right and they will cause no trouble. After giving Ron's a bunch of money, the car ran low 9's. It's probably for sale.
10:1, TH400, 3.31's, 4400 SS

"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Nothing is impossible; if you don't know what you're talking about."
Kirkwoodken
Old Dec 3rd, 09, 6:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj_70 View Post
i didn't exactly mean sounds as in audible but more of how does the idea sound.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

The idea sounds great to me. Of course, I've been running a small block on methanol for a while, now.

Methanol makes it really easy to cool down when you're in later rounds. A couple tracks I run at go round robin after the 4th round, so you have to be ready quickly.

I also like methanol for the additional consistency. Usually, if the lanes don't go away, my car will run within .01 from the second pass in the daylight till the last round. On my combination, I've found it takes an altitude change of over 400 feet before the e.t. changes .01.

If the lanes stay good, my timeslips look like they've been Xeroxed.

Randy
Old Dec 3rd, 09, 8:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Why not run Ethanol- E85?

Dan's 70 Chevelle
Spencer's 72 Chevelle
Old Dec 3rd, 09, 11:30 AM
Tech Team
Erik

Because a pure methanol fire is SO COOL...it is invisible!!!
'77 Chevrolet K20 Silverado LWB, 400CI, TH400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: using SBC for methanol? Can i do it?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.