Power Disc VS Manual Disc?? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Nov 25th, 09, 11:42 PM
Team Member
Paul

Default Power Disc VS Manual Disc??

I have manual drums on my Chevelle and want to switch to disc but I dont really want to go through changing everything over to power assist also.....so what are your opinions on manual disc set up??? would like to hear from those who have manual disc....Thanks in advance.....Paul
1968 SS 396/Tremac/3:73 posi
1972 K/10 350/4spd/4:10 posi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 26th, 09, 12:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Default Re: Power Disc VS Manual Disc??

ive got manual discs on my camaro and chevelle. have power discs on my el caminos. The power assist really does what its suppose to. but you just have to remember to push harder when driving the manual brake car. jim
71 el camino, SS clone (sold!)
71 nova 350 4 speed with 4.10 gears! Sold
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block!
67 el camino 307/th400-3.31 12bolt
Old Nov 26th, 09, 12:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brett

I have manual disks. They are no different except for ease to push the pedal. You still have to change the master cylinder and prop. valve. Only thing different is moving the pedal pushrod position and putting a booster on. Your call.

Pic of Car: http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...5/DSCN0827.jpg
Pic of 468:http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...5/IMG_0233.jpg

1966 Triple Black Chevelle
327, TKO600, EFI, 4.11:1

Pic of Car: http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...5/DSCN1706.jpg
Old Nov 26th, 09, 12:45 AM
Gold Founding Member

I had a manual-disc Dodge Dart; it SUCKED.

Disc brakes don't self-energize like our drums do. So pedal effort is considerable.

Adding a booster isn't hard.
Old Nov 26th, 09, 1:02 AM
Tech Team

It is really about caliper design / piston volume and master cylinder piston size. Factory Disc brake set ups have large pistons and are designed as power systems, they require more pressure and volume. To get the volume you use a larger piston designed for power brakes), which requires more pedlal effort without a booster. To get the pressure without a booster you need a smaller piston master (designed for manual brakes), but get less volume.

On the street, you really either need to run a booster or go with a system designed for manual brakes like Wilwood.

I have personally run a 1" bore master on a manual factory single caliper disc Front / drum rear, on my street drag car. The brakes were fine at the track cause I didn't mind pushing hard for that one stop per run. But on the street they did get tiresome. I cannot run power brake (no vacuum) so I did 4 wheel Wilwoods and now it has great stopping and great pedal feel with manual brakes.

So yes the 1" bore master will work on a manual set up. It is up to you if you can handle it.

We have factory style kits complete with booster and without.

We also have Wilwood and Baer.
Old Nov 26th, 09, 3:33 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Send a message via AIM to 69ChevelleGuy

Our 70 Vette has factory manual brakes with the factory 4 wheel disc setup. I've drove many non-power drum cars and although pedal effort is still high you can still tell you have discs. Personally, I think that power brakes really make you feel like you've got more stopping power than you really have (if that makes sense) and I like it.
Arkansas Chevelle Club Member #007
Old Nov 26th, 09, 3:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

My car isn't on the road yet, but I wanted power discs on all four corners, so I went with Baer 11" discs, and because I have a camshaft with a 268/271 dur@.050 on a 110 LSA, I also chose to purchase a Hydroboost unit (but that's an extra $700-$800 investment). I just figured that I'd make mention of this as being another option.
Old Nov 26th, 09, 4:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
... I also chose to purchase a Hydroboost unit (but that's an extra $700-$800 investment). I just figured that I'd make mention of this as being another option.
$700-$800, IF the original poster has power steering... Its seems like alot of the manual drum Chevelles I see are also manual steering cars...

I switched from power discs (69-72 style) to manual discs ( C5 Corvette), both with rear drums, and IMO, not much difference in pedal pressure with the manuals... This was a swap done over a short period of time (about a long weekend)...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Old Nov 26th, 09, 4:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
IF the original poster has power steering... Its seems like alot of the manual drum Chevelles I see are also manual steering cars...

Yes, that is true. I guess with my car, I was in the process of replacing just about everything on the car anyway since it was a body off 100% restoration, and I didn't care about keeping the car original either. So I kinda chose my own options as I went along, and I sometimes forget that when I'm posting replies. Your point is well taken. I suppose it depends on which opinion the O/P'er wants to take into account. One or 2 guys here say that they didn't like the extra pedal effort required for the manual disc brakes, and 1 or 2 other guys say that it wasn't any different than with power brakes.

For me, I also paid attention to a lot of guys who have the hydroboost who say that the pedal effort is VERY minimal, and some even say that it requires less than 1" of pedal travel to stop the car. And I like that. I cannot see you getting that with manual brakes. I once drove a car with Brembo brakes that was like that. Very little pedal effort, and very little pedal travel despite the fact that it was a very quick street car that weighed 4,200 LBS w/out driver. So it's preference related. And sometimes, you only get what you pay for.
Old Nov 26th, 09, 5:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemetrius456 View Post
If i had no power brakes in my car then i wouldnt have survived today. A car moving at a very speed infront of me suddenly halts, i slammed my brakes, thank god i was saved by a few centimeters. thanks disc brakes.....a small request get power brakes, its a life saver, do not ignore.
x2...I can relate to that. I didn't avoid an accident with power brakes in the Ford crown Vic that I had last year, but I think that having them slowed the car down enough for my life to be saved. An 86 year old guy pulled right out in front of me at the very last minute from a side street. I was only going 48 MPH, but there he was right in front of me out of nowhere! All is I remember seeing is his driver's side door right in front of my car........ totalled both cars out, bent frame on my full frame Crown Vic, and the guy was dead right on the spot with 4 of his teeth embedded in his dashboard (not a pretty scene!). It's amazing that I lived through it! I might not have if I had manual brakes. Who knows?
Old Nov 26th, 09, 11:35 AM
Team Member
Paul

my car has power steering and AC but manual drum brakes now.....I just did not want to have to add a booster and then I need different valve cover for drivers side....if it will just be a little harder to stop but without the fade of the drums I think I will be able to live with it that way....Paul
Old Nov 26th, 09, 1:24 PM
Tech Team
mike

I have Aerospace manual discs on my Nova--it stops just fine from 130+.
Very simple bolt-on; here's a link to a story I did on the swap:
http://hotrod.automotive.com/22812/4...ade/index.html
Old Nov 26th, 09, 1:36 PM
Tech Team
woodsman

I have manual disk's on the HEAP-daily driver-great pedal feel and it's not like you have to stomp on then to stop fast
Old Nov 26th, 09, 9:08 PM
Team Member
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie0069 View Post
I have Aerospace manual discs on my Nova--it stops just fine from 130+.
Very simple bolt-on; here's a link to a story I did on the swap:
http://hotrod.automotive.com/22812/4...ade/index.html

do you have to change the proportioning valve for this setup???
Old Nov 27th, 09, 2:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I dont have my manual front disc setup on the street yet, but I really like the manual front disc setup I had on my '55 2dr sedan, which was a daily driver. Pedal effort was not a bother, and I liked the overall "feel" of the pedal when braking. No effort to lock 'em up if needed. Another big plus for me was the much less cluttered engine bay...no booster taking up room, no hose routed to it, and, no worry about having enough vacuum with a performance cam.

1946 Studebaker Champion Business Coupe- next year project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: Power Disc VS Manual Disc??
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.