BBC oil pressure sending unit location - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Nov 20th, 09, 9:53 AM
Tech Team
kentt

Default BBC oil pressure sending unit location

A friend of mine is putting a 396 into his 55 Chevy. The typical spot to mount the oil pressure line is directly above the center of the oil filter. He says that the normal oil pressure line spot is in the way of his Z bar. There is also a plug in the block in front of the normal oil pressure sending unit location (about 2 inches). He is wondering if he can take the plug out of the block, and put his oil pressure line in the front hole, and plug the hole that is centered above the oil filter. THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 20th, 09, 11:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Default Re: BBC oil pressure sending unit location

There's 5 plug's that are in line with the main bearing cap's on the driver's side of the block that can be used.
There's also 1 on the front of the block on the driver's side that's the same galley as the rest.
You can use any of those to install the sender.
And ,Yes ,plug the one's you aren't using.
Old Nov 20th, 09, 11:47 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Can't attest to other ports but I used this one on the front, driver side for my oil pressure gauge. I had the original plug removed when the engine was apart after it was hot-tanked. The original plug would not come out before the tanking due to age; could have just been this particular instance but something to consider...

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
* I only report what I read. If they're wrong, I'm wrong.
* ChevelleStuff - Decoding info for 64-72
* 1966/1967 Chevelle Reference CD
* Chevelle, HHR, Nomad Registeries
Old Nov 20th, 09, 12:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Well ,that makes it easy.
3 of the plug's I described are shown in Dale's pic. -thank's Dale.
The recessed one in front of the block and the one behind the motor mount give you an idea where they are .
The other 3 are spaced accordingly toward the rear of the block ,inline with the brass plug and the one behind the motor mount.
Old Nov 20th, 09, 1:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Can't attest to other ports but I used this one on the front, driver side for my oil pressure gauge. I had the original plug removed when the engine was apart after it was hot-tanked. The original plug would not come out before the tanking due to age; could have just been this particular instance but something to consider...

I have read (and I CANNOT verify this) that the commonly used plug on the block may not give the most accurate reading. I have electric guages from a reputable guage supplier and they suggest using a spot other than above the oil filter. Their installation instructions say something about the above the filter location pressure readings being subject to actions of the bypass valve in the oil filter mounting. I need to reread the instructions.

I gotta add I do not recall many factory BBCs having pressure guages or even idiot light senders connected to spots other than above the filter.
Old Nov 20th, 09, 1:42 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
I have read (and I CANNOT verify this) that the commonly used plug on the block may not give the most accurate reading. I have electric guages from a reputable guage supplier and they suggest using a spot other than above the oil filter. Their installation instructions say something about the above the filter location pressure readings being subject to actions of the bypass valve in the oil filter mounting. I need to reread the instructions.

I gotta add I do not recall many factory BBCs having pressure guages or even idiot light senders connected to spots other than above the filter.
I had both a Dakota Digital setup electric gauge (mounted here) and an Autometer mechanical gauge (mounted above the oil filter) in mine. While I did notice a slight difference in readings, it wasn't more than 2-3 lbs and I attributed it to a couple of possibilities; different locations and/or different types of gauges, electric vs. mechanical.

The oil filter location was used on every BBC I've seen but probably more for convenience and shielding from road hazards - one reason I put the electrical gauge up front, if the wire or sender was damaged by a road hazard it wouldn't have been that big a deal. A broken mechanical line would be another matter.
Old Nov 20th, 09, 1:45 PM
Tech Team
kentt

Once again, excellent information. Thanks for the help, Kentt
Old Nov 20th, 09, 1:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I don't have a z-bar (running a TH400) but my headers come very close to the plug above the oil filter. I put a 90-degree brass elbow into the plug, screwed the sender into the elbow (pointed straight back towards rear of car) and it is working mint.
Old Nov 20th, 09, 2:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman View Post
They didn't come OEM in any other location but the port above the oil filter.
The other 6 port's I mentioned are the oil feed gallery for the main bearing's and work just fine for a gauge.
I usually use the one in the front as it's farthest from the pump and a straight line up the gallery.
Old Dec 3rd, 09, 10:46 AM
Tech Team
Abe

I just installed a newly rebuilt 402. I didn't know enough about the engine to have the machine shop touch the plugs, and the engine is now installed in the car. I'm in the process of getting everything back together.
I've stripped the plug above the oil filter, and one of the side oil galley plugs. The headers are in the way of it too. I'm trying to be real careful with the plug in the front of the engine, but it's not budging, and I'm trying not to strip it. I've used penetrating fluid, but its still not moving. Are there any alternatives that can be installed between the oil filter and the engine, or do I have to keep trying? I'm not to keen of drilling and retaping, particularly since I don't want to get shavings inside a newly rebuilt but not started engine.
Old Jan 8th, 10, 9:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chuck

Thank you everyone. Great information and very informative past articles. Believe I'll go with the port above the oil filter.

Thanks again,
Chuck
Old Jan 9th, 10, 12:59 AM
Team Member
Randy

My 454 came from an 83 Suburban, and the oil sender was located in
the oil gallery hole at the front of the block.

Son, that there pedal on the right, that's
the loud pedal. You stand on that, and
the Rat's gonna Roar.
Old Jan 9th, 10, 2:25 AM
Tech Team
Steve

I used a 45 degree adapter on filter port to offset the Z-bar on the sender switch for my new electrical classic instruments gauge . I achieved perfect clearance between the header & Z bar that way.

Works Perfect.
Old Jan 9th, 10, 7:47 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Abe you may have to put your allen wrench in the plug. Hit it with a hammer to jar it like you are driving into the block. Do this to jar it. It will help on loosening it. Then spray some sort of knock loose agent (WD-40). Try to loosen it. If it moves a little and gets hard then stop and go the other way to tighten. Work it back and forth this way til it comes loose. And above all else make sure you allen wrench is correct and tight for the plug. Good luck. You may already know all this but just thought it might help if you didnt.
Old Jan 9th, 10, 8:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

The one shown above, at the front of the block, is about the farthest from the oil pump and should show the lowest oil pressure. That's the number that you want to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: BBC oil pressure sending unit location
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.