71 Chevelle SS dash photos? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

Old Oct 20th, 09, 8:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
scott

Default 71 Chevelle SS dash photos?

Does anyone know where I can go to see photos of an exactly correct dash restoration of a 71 SS? I keep seeing these repops with the silver painted bezels and original dashes that have been restored that do not look the same as I remember mine looking years ago. I just can't seem to find a photo of a 100 percent correct restoration to go by. Anybody have any ideas of where I can go to see one?

Team Chevelle membership # 5470
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 20th, 09, 10:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joseph

Default Re: 71 Chevelle SS dash photos?

Scott Minus the seat belt warning light, yours should look like mine.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 "W" Code Convertible
Sequoia Green White Top and Interior
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...enWVert005.jpg
1970 Chevelle SS 396 "L78" 4 Speed Coupe
Black with Black Bucket Interior
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...JoesL78015.jpg

Other Stuff....
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/josephfarrow/
Old Oct 20th, 09, 10:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
scott

Thanks Joseph, that is what I was looking for. I keep seeing these dashes with the turn signal circles with silver trim on them, and didn't think they were supposed to have the chrome or silver accent on them....I see yours does not, as I suspected. Was the original accent trim all done with chrome plating, or was some of it silver too?

Old Oct 21st, 09, 9:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmn1 View Post
Thanks Joseph, that is what I was looking for. I keep seeing these dashes with the turn signal circles with silver trim on them, and didn't think they were supposed to have the chrome or silver accent on them....I see yours does not, as I suspected. Was the original accent trim all done with chrome plating, or was some of it silver too?
Scott,

The entire carrier was vacuum plated and then painted. Nowadays, you can expect to pay around $700 to have a '70-'72 dash carrier replated. As you have observed, one of the biggest mistakes guys make is to paint the turn signal/brake light/high beam bezels silver.
L34/TH400 3:31 Posi
Documented, Matching Numbers
Highly Optioned
Old Oct 21st, 09, 12:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
scott

The photo Joseph attached above looks 100% correct as I remember in regards to the accent trim locations. The silver paint looks very good, but I was just wanting to look more original if I could without actually dropping the $800.00 to have it vacuum plated. I have been trying to find some more information on the use of the chrome foil sheets modelers use to get a more original look, but that information seems to be few and far between. I have some of it from the hobby store, but it looks like it will be very hard to use. I may just have to play around with it on something else to see if I can get good enough with it before I actually try it on my dash.

Old Oct 21st, 09, 9:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

The aftermarket dash has the turn signal indicators accented in silver.
Built 12 bolt 4:11

Pics
Video
Old Oct 21st, 09, 10:54 PM
Tech Team
Fred

Joe- Great lookin' dash and love that white interior!
Old Oct 21st, 09, 11:03 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I don't understand why the manufactures of the reproduction dashes keep adding the silver around the smaller openings either.

I found this photo of an LS6 dash that was restored by a restoration shop in Georgia. From what I've seen, it looks like they do excellent work. The finished project was very nice.

I've seen Monte Carlo and Chevelle dashes that appear to have chrome around the bezels and what appears to be a lighter mist of chrome plating on the back of the dash. It wasn't like the chrome plating on radio knobs, but it didn't look like silver paint either.
A friend bought a repo dash a couple of years ago and it actually had tape around the gauges. Some of the tape started peeling off so he removed it and had his painted silver.
I wouldn't think it would have been possible for them to have chromed the entire dash, masked off the areas they wanted left chrome and then repainted all the black. It's a mystery.
You would have thought the instrument portion of the dash would have been separate from the rest of the dash.
Someone needs to make a cover similar to what the Monte Carlos had, only with the camera case texture. It could help save a lot of dashes destroyed by jigsaw wielding hackers.
Old Oct 22nd, 09, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cko4sp View Post
I don't understand why the manufactures of the reproduction dashes keep adding the silver around the smaller openings either.

I found this photo of an LS6 dash that was restored by a restoration shop in Georgia. From what I've seen, it looks like they do excellent work. The finished project was very nice.

I've seen Monte Carlo and Chevelle dashes that appear to have chrome around the bezels and what appears to be a lighter mist of chrome plating on the back of the dash. It wasn't like the chrome plating on radio knobs, but it didn't look like silver paint either.
A friend bought a repo dash a couple of years ago and it actually had tape around the gauges. Some of the tape started peeling off so he removed it and had his painted silver.
I wouldn't think it would have been possible for them to have chromed the entire dash, masked off the areas they wanted left chrome and then repainted all the black. It's a mystery.
You would have thought the instrument portion of the dash would have been separate from the rest of the dash.
Someone needs to make a cover similar to what the Monte Carlos had, only with the camera case texture. It could help save a lot of dashes destroyed by jigsaw wielding hackers.
Wrong. The entire carrier was vacuum plated. My original is testimony to that. Not only was it possible then, it still is now. Just be prepared to spend big bucks to have it done. With '70-'72 dashes, the biggest issue is the physical size (length). I've been led to believe that not a lot of companies that do vacuum plating have chambers big enough to accommodate.

But I agree with you about the painting. Seems like a convoluted way to get it done. But, when you consider all of the manufacturing techniques that were used on various parts in the car, I guess The General had it down pat - especially when you consider many GM brands/models were done that way.

As for the reproduction dashes from Dynacorn, a word of advise: The silver tape that is used to accent the bezels will fail and start flaking off in a year or two. Best advise is to peel off the tape and paint the bezels silver before attaching components and installing the carrier. You'll have to paint the washer/wiper and lighter lettering anyway. If you insist on leaving the tape on, the rings around the turn signal, brake light, and high beam bezels can be peeled off to look correct.
L34/TH400 3:31 Posi
Documented, Matching Numbers
Highly Optioned
Old Oct 22nd, 09, 12:44 PM
Tech Team
Jim

It would be interesting to see the process. How do the get the black to stick to the chrome? I know they do it and the finished product looks fantastic. Probably better than when done 40 years ago.
We had a dash out of a 72 GMC Sprint that had no chrome/silver on it anywhere. The entire dash was black. It didn't appear to have been repainted front or back.
A friend of mine has an original dash in his Chevelle and it looks to be chromed. Not as bright as the radio knobs but definitely not painted. There are areas where the black has been worn off and you can see silver behind it. Like behind the radio knobs.
Another thing I wondered about is why would they go to all the trouble to detail the Monte Carlo dashes like the Chevelles when they were going to be covered up anyway.
And what was the purpose of having the holes behind the wood-grain cover? I've seen them with and without the holes. We found a 72 Monte Carlo dash recently and it didn't have the holes in it.
Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Interiors      Current Topic: 71 Chevelle SS dash photos?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.