Won't start after sitting - fuel pump? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Oct 20th, 09, 3:09 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Default Won't start after sitting - fuel pump?

Have 67 El Camino w/basically stock 327/275 - now has Edelbrock intake and AFB-style carb (1404 I think). Recently the engine won't start if it has been sitting for 6-8 hrs or more. Engine turns over fine but won't start. If I prime the carb a bit, it starts fine and will start again at first touch of the key as long as it hasn't sit for 6-8 hrs. Carb & intake have been on the car for a few years with no problems.

Started acting up this summer with being hard to start when cold (well, not cold but after sitting overnight) but it'd eventually start. Now it won't start unless the carb is primed.

Here are a few things I tried:
Replaced old inline fuel filter (see-through type). It looked dirty but seemed to retail fuel in the bowl.
Car only had a couple of gallons of gas in it so I just filled it up thinking maybe old/bad gas or pump not pulling from low tank was the problem - no change.
Timing set correctly for 327/PG - 8 BTDC.

Should I be able to see gas going into carb when engine is off and working the throttle? I know I could with a Holley but can't see any with the Edelbrock. IT doesn't smell like it's flooding when it doesn't start, can't remember smelling anything out of the ordinary at all in fact.

Ideas? I'm stumped...
TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
* I only report what I read. If they're wrong, I'm wrong.
* ChevelleStuff - Decoding info for 64-72
* 1966/1967 Chevelle Reference CD
* Chevelle, HHR, Nomad Registeries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 20th, 09, 4:50 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Default Re: Won't start after sitting - fuel pump?

Has the carb been rebuilt recently? maybe a bad accelerator pump. what kind of choke does the carb have?
Old Oct 20th, 09, 4:56 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

you should be able to see fuel coming out if you work the throttle by hand. it may be a little harder to see on an edelbrock or afb, i dont think the squirters sat as high as they do on holleys
Old Oct 20th, 09, 8:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

another vote for the accellerator pump.

once started the car will run just fine----'cept maybe an occaisional 'cut out', on acceleration.

59 ElCamino 454/TKO 5spd--(daddy)
66 ElCamino 3oh7/TKO 5spd (mousey) Almost done On the street now!!!
65 Ranchero v8/4-spd, that my uncle bought new
Old Oct 20th, 09, 9:15 PM
Team Member
Tim Smith

That's the main thing I dislike on an edelbrock carb is the acc pump. They are an umbrella style and have a bad tendency to deteriorate. AND the kits are too damn high. AND that top gasket is easy to rip to shreds. I have a pefectly good 750 I stuck on the shelf because it needs a pump and I just won't spend money on it til it has a home. friggin kits are 45 bucks iirc, and an acc pump is like 15-20 bucks maybe? been a few years.....
Old Oct 20th, 09, 10:20 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Carb has never been apart. I'll have to check closer in the morning about seeing if there is fuel being delivered by the throttle before I try to start it. Could be dried out as I haven't driven it much this summer but do try to start it once a week or so and let the engine warm up to operating temp. I figured it was hard to start and needed priming just because it sat for so long between starting it but I've wanted to use it frequently this past week and not starting is consistent.

Haven't noticed any stumble or hesitations once engine is warmed up a bit. Carb has electric choke but haven't changed the settings on it for a few years - didn't have any problems with it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Won't start after sitting - fuel pump?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.