1969 Chevelle Manual Drum Brakes - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Oct 13th, 09, 6:54 PM
Tech Team
Michael

Cool 1969 Chevelle Manual Drum Brakes

Ok,

So I am getting my new ride this week and my first issue is that the brakes are really stiff. I have chicken legs and dont want to pop a tendon pushing down the pedal. Yeah, I weak legs. What is the quick fix?

Get a power booster and keep the drum brakes until I have more $$ to do a conversion? I want to get the A/C fixed at the same time and not sure until i take it in to see what is really wrong with it. All componets are there, but missing belt.

I have read conversion stuff on the site already and seems the going rate is about $1000-1200 bucks for a conversion. How about going to a junk yard and getting compatible disc brakes that will line up with my 69 chevelle?

Thanks for any input! I wont be insulted if you crack about my legs either. The truth doesnt hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 13th, 09, 9:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ron

Default Re: 1969 Chevelle Manual Drum Brakes

Having driven my 66 for 2 years with the original four wheel manual drums, I can say that, if in decent shape, or at least intact, they will stop ok.

However, I just finished the install of the Ground Up front disc conversion kit, also manual, I love it. I also got a complete set of new brakelines and new flex hoses. Highly recommended. I have way less than a grand in it.

I checked into the options, but figured that I would spend a couple hundred bucks for any partial upgrade, so I kept the drums working. I did a couple of salvage yard sweeps and found nothing. The chances of finding usable salvage stuff is pretty slim. You can try simply installing new or reman stuff from the parts store, but you will spend a lot of time and money getting all the stuff. The kits are the way to go.

Power drums were an option, so that may be the easiest way to go, with a new booster and master.

My priority was getting a dual master and disc brakes, so that's what I did.
Old Oct 13th, 09, 9:44 PM
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Oh how power steering and power brakes have turned us into wusses (it is hard to go back).

Self-energizing drum brakes don't take too much pedal pressure themselves, but the natural tendancy is to really press hard once the braking "goes away" (the dreaded drum brake fade). You could easily add a power booster to your drums, but get ready for touchy brakes. Power really makes more sense if you have disk brakes (which require more line pressure) or metallic shoes (you really have to plant your foot until they warm up, which doesn't take long, it just seems that way.)

My Showroom
TC Gold #120
Completely stock 67 Malibu Sport Coupe 6 cyl
Old Oct 15th, 09, 12:37 AM
Tech Team
Michael

After much research, I am going to do a power disc brake conversion in the front and set it up to do the rear brakes at a later time.

Thank both of you for chiming in and providing your thoughts and recommendations.

Peace...
Old Oct 15th, 09, 6:00 AM
Senior Tech Team

Front disc conversion is a great way to go, but don't bother with converting the rear drums to discs. I've had many A bodies that had front disk/rear drum and they stopped just as well as any new cars I've driven. Where the benefit of four wheel disc brakes come in (beyond bragging rights) is when you stop and go and hard and fast over and over and over. Short of road rage, that doesn't happen in every day driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: 1969 Chevelle Manual Drum Brakes
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.