Corvette brake conversion ? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle
     

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old Oct 12th, 09, 9:31 PM
4pnt6 4pnt6 is offline
Tech Team
Justin
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 36
Default Corvette brake conversion ?

Hello all, new here. I have a 67 Chevelle Malibu that I am about to start a frame off resto on. Well I've been doing some research but am confused on the corvette brake conversion. I couldn't find the answer to my question by searching so here it goes.

1. Is there a normal 2" drop spindle that you can bolt a set of stock C5 brakes to? I say normal because all I can find is the AFX pieces. They are extremely nice but kinda pricey. They only seem to drop the car an inch and I'm uncertain about the "Tall" spindle.

2. Can you install the corvette brakes on the rear (10 bolt) and the parking brake be functional? If so, what brackets are available?

3. If it is possible to do all of the above, is it required to run a brake booster? Haven't decided on my engine combo yet so I don't know how much vacuum it is going to pull. Could I run a corvette master cylinder without a booster?

Thanks. Look forward to using team chevelle for all my questions and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old Oct 12th, 09, 10:02 PM
novaderrik novaderrik is offline
Senior Tech Team
Derrick
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Howard Lake, MN, USA
Posts: 17,233
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

skip the drop spindle, and just use your stock spindles. get the desired drop with springs. if you have drum brakes, then you just use the drum hubs and make a caliper mounting bracket.
as for the rear, i have seen an adapter bracket online that adapts the Vette caliper mounting bracket/parking brake setup to a standard 10 or 12 bolt r ear end. but i can't remember where i've seen it. otherwise, late model F body or S series truck rear disc brakes bolt right up- the 98 and newer setup has the parking brake integrated into the mounting bracket like the Vette setup.
__________________
"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old Oct 12th, 09, 10:42 PM
1966_L78 1966_L78 is offline
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 12,862
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pnt6 View Post
Hello all, new here. I have a 67 Chevelle Malibu that I am about to start a frame off resto on. Well I've been doing some research but am confused on the corvette brake conversion. I couldn't find the answer to my question by searching so here it goes.

1. Is there a normal 2" drop spindle that you can bolt a set of stock C5 brakes to? I say normal because all I can find is the AFX pieces. They are extremely nice but kinda pricey. They only seem to drop the car an inch and I'm uncertain about the "Tall" spindle. .
The tall spindle will improve handling, but usually requires aftermarket upper control arms. Places like Kore3 offer kits that allow you to BOLT ON C5 brakes onto your stock drum brake spindle ( IF you have your drum hub turned down, you can save money by not buying the billet hub). You will need at least 17" wheels, and not all wheels will fit. Kore3 has templates, and they might know some wheels that fit.

I agree with derik, save the money on spindles, and buy some good upper control arms (like the SPC arms from SC&C), then lower the car with new springs... Also for safety reasons, look into tubular lower control arms. the stockers are 402+ years old, and they are prone to cracking and catastrophic failure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pnt6 View Post
2. Can you install the Corvette brakes on the rear (10 bolt) and the parking brake be functional? If so, what brackets are available? .
Kore3 offers a C5 "Corvette" rear brake kit that bolts to the 10/12 bolt rearends, and uses the Vette's "drum-in-hat" parking brake mechanism (similar to the S-10/LS1 F-body, but I think the "vette" rotors might be different)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pnt6 View Post
3. If it is possible to do all of the above, is it required to run a brake booster? Haven't decided on my engine combo yet so I don't know how much vacuum it is going to pull. Could I run a corvette master cylinder without a booster?
No problem... I ran the C5 front brakes, and was planning on the rears, but I sold the car before... I used a '67 corvette manual brake master cylinder (deeper pushrod hole than the "power-brake" master), and the car stopped great... I guess it took a little more effort, but it was fine... It also cleaned up the look of the engine compartment. The guy who bought the car never complained, and I heard he drives it alot...


When I build my setup, I ended up with Kore3... Sure, you can piece it together and save some money. But If you aren't familiar with it, or don't want the hassle, Kore3 was GREAT to deal with...
__________________
Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old Oct 13th, 09, 8:51 AM
4pnt6 4pnt6 is offline
Tech Team
Justin
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 36
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

Thanks for the info. I do still have the stock drum hubs. I checked into the KORE3 setup and it is nice. I think I can piece together the kit myself. As for the rears, is there anything special about the parking brake mounting? Will the drum in hat mount to a 10 bolt housing without any special adapter plates? If so, I could piece together the rear as well. If not, then I am cosidering the LT1 camaro rear brakes.

My ultimate goal here is to have a sporty ride quality with brakes that compliment the suspension. I am not opposed to purchasing the AFS spindles with an aftermarket upper a arm. I was just wanting to know if there was another way. I like to explore all my options before making a purchase. If I was to turn down my stock drum hubs would they fit on the aftermarket spindle and work with the corvette brakes?
__________________
67 Chevelle Malibu WIP
00 Musang GT D1 blown, t56, street car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old Oct 13th, 09, 6:52 PM
1966_L78 1966_L78 is offline
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 12,862
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pnt6 View Post
As for the rears, is there anything special about the parking brake mounting? Will the drum in hat mount to a 10 bolt housing without any special adapter plates? If so, I could piece together the rear as well. If not, then I am cosidering the LT1 camaro rear brakes.
Using LS! Camaro or S-10 rear brakes, there will probably be clearance problems between the P-brake lever and the shock bracket on the rearend. With 64-67 rearends, the shock bracket is too close... Orn later rearends, you still need to clearance... Because of the mounting pattern, you can't just turn the parking brakes upside down...

I think Mike (MJRIBIERO) did this swap on his '67, by sectioning and rewelding the lever... maybe he has some good info and pictures...


Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pnt6 View Post
If I was to turn down my stock drum hubs would they fit on the aftermarket spindle and work with the corvette brakes?
I guess it depends on the spindle... Will the aftermarket spindle of choice use a stock hub? and will the aftermarket spindle of choice accept the C5 brakes?
__________________
Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old Oct 13th, 09, 8:17 PM
4pnt6 4pnt6 is offline
Tech Team
Justin
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 36
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Using LS! Camaro or S-10 rear brakes, there will probably be clearance problems between the P-brake lever and the shock bracket on the rearend. With 64-67 rearends, the shock bracket is too close... Orn later rearends, you still need to clearance... Because of the mounting pattern, you can't just turn the parking brakes upside down...

I think Mike (MJRIBIERO) did this swap on his '67, by sectioning and rewelding the lever... maybe he has some good info and pictures...




I guess it depends on the spindle... Will the aftermarket spindle of choice use a stock hub? and will the aftermarket spindle of choice accept the C5 brakes?
I did see Mike's thread on sectioning the lever. On the other option, how can you turn the parking brakes upside down?

As for the spindle in question. I was thinking of the AFX.

BTW your 66 convertible was very nice. What brake/suspension combo did you have on it?
__________________
67 Chevelle Malibu WIP
00 Musang GT D1 blown, t56, street car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old Oct 13th, 09, 8:40 PM
Randy 67EC Randy 67EC is offline
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Loganville, GA
Posts: 946
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Using LS! Camaro or S-10 rear brakes, there will probably be clearance problems between the P-brake lever and the shock bracket on the rearend. With 64-67 rearends, the shock bracket is too close... Orn later rearends, you still need to clearance... Because of the mounting pattern, you can't just turn the parking brakes upside down...

I think Mike (MJRIBIERO) did this swap on his '67, by sectioning and rewelding the lever... maybe he has some good info and pictures...
I did on my car by having the levers pull towards the rear, i.e. the calipers toward the front. I drilled a hole in the shock mount and ran the cable through it. I used Lokar brake cables and it works great.
__________________
81 Camaro - CP autox ride
79 GMC C3500 - Tow Pig
99 Bonneville SLE - DD
67 El Camino - Sold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old Oct 14th, 09, 10:48 AM
1966_L78 1966_L78 is offline
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 12,862
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pnt6 View Post
I did see Mike's thread on sectioning the lever. On the other option, how can you turn the parking brakes upside down?

As for the spindle in question. I was thinking of the AFX.

BTW your 66 convertible was very nice. What brake/suspension combo did you have on it?
Not sure on the Pbrake, but maybe if you filled/redrilled the mounting pattern in the backing plate (not sure if it would still fit, or if the cables would interfere with the calipers (if toward the front)...

I THINK the backing plates are separate from the caliper brackets...


For the AFX spindle, I think they exclusively use Corvette bearing/hub assemblies, so no need to use old Chevelle hubs. They also have integral mounting for C5 Corvette brakes...


On my '66, it was basically stock suspension up front, Hotchkis 1" drop springs and poly bushings up front with a 1.25" sway bar... I swapped from stock discs (1972 Chevelle) to the Kore3 C5 kit...

Fun car, but needed a lot of updating, and I realize I NEVER dropped the top anymore... So I figured I could sell it, and build my '66 SS hardtop with the proceeds... Of course, then I needed a "temporary" budget cruiser to enjoy while I built the '66 hardtop, and so I bought my '70... And now the '70 has been getting more and more, better and better pieces, leaving the "temporary" and "budget" parts behind And the '66 hardtop again sits (its been sitting for 24 years, some day...)...
__________________
Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old Oct 14th, 09, 10:50 AM
1966_L78 1966_L78 is offline
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 12,862
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Not sure on the Pbrake, but maybe if you filled/redrilled the mounting pattern in the backing plate (not sure if it would still fit, or if the cables would interfere with the calipers (if toward the front)...

I THINK the backing plates are separate from the caliper brackets...


For the AFX spindle, I think they exclusively use Corvette bearing/hub assemblies, so no need to use old Chevelle hubs. They also have integral mounting for C5 Corvette brakes...


On my '66, it was basically stock suspension up front, Hotchkis 1" drop springs and poly bushings up front with a 1.25" sway bar... I swapped from stock discs (1972 Chevelle) to the Kore3 C5 kit...

Fun car, but needed a lot of updating, and I realize I NEVER dropped the top anymore... So I figured I could sell it, and build my '66 SS hardtop with the proceeds... Of course, then I needed a "temporary" budget cruiser to enjoy while I built the '66 hardtop, and so I bought my '70... And now the '70 has been getting more and more, better and better pieces, leaving the "temporary" and "budget" parts behind And the '66 hardtop again sits (its been sitting for 24 years, some day...)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy 67EC
I did on my car by having the levers pull towards the rear, i.e. the calipers toward the front. I drilled a hole in the shock mount and ran the cable through it. I used Lokar brake cables and it works great.
Randy, any pictures?
__________________
Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old Oct 14th, 09, 12:15 PM
Randy 67EC Randy 67EC is offline
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Loganville, GA
Posts: 946
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

I'll see when I get home if I have any taken already. If not I try and take some. I do remember having to watch out for the shock to make sure it didn't hit the cable since the shocks lean in quite a bit in back.
__________________
81 Camaro - CP autox ride
79 GMC C3500 - Tow Pig
99 Bonneville SLE - DD
67 El Camino - Sold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old Oct 14th, 09, 1:58 PM
4pnt6 4pnt6 is offline
Tech Team
Justin
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 36
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

Randy, pics would be great.

Ok guys here is what I've come up with so far. I have my mind set on the C5 front brakes and the Camaro rears. For the front I'm thinking about the SC&C upper control arm package with the tall ball joints (lower and upper giving the car almost an inch drop). For spindles I can use my stockers and turn down the hubs to under 6". I have found a bracket from Speed Tech that allows the C5 brakes to mate to the stock drum spindles.

For the rears I will just buy some plates to mate the camaro brakes to. I will have to turn down my axle flanges to less than 6" too. As for the parking brake, I am gonna need it to work. I will wait to see what yours look like Randy.

Let me know your opinions on my plan.
__________________
67 Chevelle Malibu WIP
00 Musang GT D1 blown, t56, street car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old Oct 14th, 09, 9:53 PM
Randy 67EC Randy 67EC is offline
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Loganville, GA
Posts: 946
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

Here are a couple picts, one shows the cable from the back, the other shows it attaching to the lever. Never mind my custom clevis, don't use the Corvette clevis, I believe the Explorer ones work. The Corvette ones won't fit with the cable attached, so I modified them. Worked for almost 2 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	24058   Click image for larger version

Name:	cable2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	24059  
__________________
81 Camaro - CP autox ride
79 GMC C3500 - Tow Pig
99 Bonneville SLE - DD
67 El Camino - Sold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old Oct 14th, 09, 11:39 PM
4pnt6 4pnt6 is offline
Tech Team
Justin
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 36
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

got any pics looking thru the wheel? Would like to konw how the brakes look on the forward side of the axle.
__________________
67 Chevelle Malibu WIP
00 Musang GT D1 blown, t56, street car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old Oct 14th, 09, 11:59 PM
Randy 67EC Randy 67EC is offline
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Loganville, GA
Posts: 946
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

Here is a pict of the drivers side. It's mounted the same as it would be on 98-02 Camaro & Firebirds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	24061  
__________________
81 Camaro - CP autox ride
79 GMC C3500 - Tow Pig
99 Bonneville SLE - DD
67 El Camino - Sold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old Oct 15th, 09, 2:31 PM
1966_L78 1966_L78 is offline
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 12,862
Default Re: Corvette brake conversion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pnt6 View Post
Ok guys here is what I've come up with so far. I have my mind set on the C5 front brakes and the Camaro rears. For the front I'm thinking about the SC&C upper control arm package with the tall ball joints (lower and upper giving the car almost an inch drop). For spindles I can use my stockers and turn down the hubs to under 6". I have found a bracket from Speed Tech that allows the C5 brakes to mate to the stock drum spindles.

For the rears I will just buy some plates to mate the camaro brakes to. I will have to turn down my axle flanges to less than 6" too. As for the parking brake, I am gonna need it to work. I will wait to see what yours look like Randy.

Let me know your opinions on my plan.
Sounds okay... Are you planning on using C5 rotors? or the C4 rotors (often called a "hybrid" kit- check Touring Classics website where they offer the Hybrid kit; different wheel fitment)

C5 rotors are 12.8" dia, but 1.25" thick... C4 are 13" diameter, but 1.1" thick... On MY 17" wheels, the C5 rotor kit was tight to the wheel barrel, and I don't think the C4 rotor would have worked, but the C4 provides greater spoke clearance... Torque thrust wheels will fit...

http://www.touring-classics.com/C5%20kit.htm

http://www.speedtech-performance.com...prod/prd51.htm

These were the only brackets I saw on Speed-Techs web site, and they stated they were for C4 Rotors and C5 calipers... $169 per set... So basically the "Hybrid" kit... and you must have the 5/8" threads in your spindle (or drill and tap for that size).



http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10083-01

Kore3 offers brackets for C5 rotors with C5 calipers, only $115 per set, and include all the mounting hardware and will work with stock drum or disc spindles as well as those with the smaller upper mount bolt (no drilling and tapping necessary)... They are "only" yellow/zinc plated steel, but are they visible anyway?
__________________
Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Pro Touring      Current Topic: Corvette brake conversion ?
Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 2:47 PM.


Is there a site like this for?    El Caminos Camaros Novas Impalas GTO Chevy Punch All Chevys

2009 Team Chevelle - AutoForums