Installing Head Bolts Question. - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Sep 28th, 09, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Send a message via MSN to steve_sutherland
Default Installing Head Bolts Question.

Hey guys, I am getting my motor put back together and am getting ready to instal the heads which should be in tomorrow.

I've always been told when installing head bolts, ALWAYS have sealant on the threads and oil on the rest of it.

I was checking out the little slip of paper I got with my new head bolts from Fel-Pro, and it says that since the bolts have sealant on them already, to not use any other sealant or oil.

What do you guys think. I'm thinking doing what Fel-Pro says and just put them in as is. Would you oil them?
Rear- http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...kprimer001.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 28th, 09, 12:18 PM
Team Member

Default Re: Installing Head Bolts Question.

What ever you do make sure you clean all head bolt threads out in block(eps threads into coolent chamber) with some brakleen prior to installing head bolts.

If the threads arent real clean you can have sealing issues with any sealer you use unless maybe Indian Head shellack that's more forgiving when it comes to threads not being as clean as they should be. But a thread sealer like for ex ARP's white teflon based thread sealer must have perectly clean threads on bolts and block of you will be SOL at some point.

If you use the new Felpro head bolts as is with sealer already applied to them i would not add oil to the threads becasue that would likely affect/interfear with the sealers ability to bite /properly adhear to the threads likely resulting in a leak/s later on.

Just ensure block threads are clean and dont use any solvent cleaner on the new head bolts with sealer already on them as that would likely remove or partially the sealer from the new bolts which would not be good.

And use mfg's stock head bolt trq spec since you bought stock rep head bolts from Felpro unless Felpro rec's otherwise.

BTW,i always used Permatex Indian head shellack Sealer on heads bolts but one time in the 38yrs i have been dong this stuff and never ever had a leak with the shellack. But i did a build approx 9 yrs ago using arps teflon based sealer per motors owners request which thanks goodness has not leaked since then. But since then i have seen mult issue's with the teflon bases thread sealers here in team chevelle since then which will make me stick with the indian head shellack sealer for all threaded items i place into area's where water or oil pass thru esp under pressure.

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)

Last edited by SWHEATON; Sep 28th, 09 at 12:37 PM.
Old Sep 29th, 09, 8:16 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Send a message via MSN to steve_sutherland
Default Re: Installing Head Bolts Question.

Alright, yeah I was thnking to go by what Fe;-Pro recommended and not oil them.

And I'll make sure the threads in the block are clean, and I'll check out the Indian Head, thanks a alot
Rear- http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...kprimer001.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Installing Head Bolts Question.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.