TH400 Won't shift into 3rd!!!! - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Sep 21st, 09, 12:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Default TH400 Won't shift into 3rd!!!!

Hey guys I am experiencing some issues with my th400. First I have well over 200 passes on the transmission and it came with the car when i bought it, so I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

When I am at WOT making a pass it will not shift into third gear. I manually shift the car at right around 6000 rpms. When I hit the shifter the rpms just keep climbing and no shift, it seems as soon as I let off of the gas a little it seems to go into third.

I made some more runs and it now seems to also be hesitating during the 1-2 shift also, it takes maybe 2-3 seconds for the tranny to actually shift after I bang the shifter....

I have checked most of the obvious stuff, like shifter linkage, fluid level, I pulled the vacuum line off of the modulator and there is no fluid on it, vacuum reading on my gauge has not changed.

Any other suggestions before I have to pull the tranny, should I check the governor, or maybe change the vacuum modulator????

I really do not know too much about transmissions so thanks for your patience and any input....
13.52 @ 101.84 mph

"Just about the stupidest thing you could do, is to try and move a big block with your shoes untied."

"IF YOU HAVE A RACE CAR BUY RACE CAR PARTS"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 21st, 09, 8:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
thomas

Default Re: TH400 Won't shift into 3rd!!!!

I am not a trans. expert, but I believe your problems are internal. Sounds like a fried clutch pack. Thomas
Old Sep 21st, 09, 9:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Thanks for the imput, I will be pulling the pan this weekend and conducting an inpsection....
13.52 @ 101.84 mph

"Just about the stupidest thing you could do, is to try and move a big block with your shoes untied."

Old Sep 22nd, 09, 6:54 PM
Tech Team
John

I am experencing the same w/my th400, almost sounds like the bands are slipping just a mili second before it engauges, I think mines almost shot. Checked the pan, and the cable, nothing goin on there. Its just near the end of its life. We are going to a powerglide this winter rather than rebuild the 400
Old Sep 23rd, 09, 12:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsrock View Post
I am experencing the same w/my th400, almost sounds like the bands are slipping just a mili second before it engauges, I think mines almost shot. Checked the pan, and the cable, nothing goin on there. Its just near the end of its life. We are going to a powerglide this winter rather than rebuild the 400
I am thinking the same thing, I think something internal is shot for sure, it sucks but at least it was during the last race of the season and I still made the top ten in points. I guess it's time to pull it and take it to the tranny builder...

Is the two speed going into your 66????
13.52 @ 101.84 mph

Old Sep 23rd, 09, 10:41 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimitpkr View Post
I am thinking the same thing, I think something internal is shot for sure, it sucks but at least it was during the last race of the season and I still made the top ten in points. I guess it's time to pull it and take it to the tranny builder...

Is the two speed going into your 66????
Yea, in the 66. The th400 works well (or did) as far as the set up, but you really have to be on it to make a good run, we took out the delay box and are leaving on the transbrake button, ran a 1.30 60ft last weekend, so 2nd comes up pretty fast (about 100 feet) a powerglide would be less work and more fun to drive down the track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: TH400 Won't shift into 3rd!!!!
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.