TH350 overfill help? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Sep 15th, 09, 1:19 PM
Tech Team

Default TH350 overfill help?

Hi guys, I finally got my 72 Chevelle running, with a brand new TCI Super Streetfighter TH-350 transmission. Since the trannny is new, and it's got new fluid in it, it was so clean that I couldn't tell if it was full or not on the dipstick, so I overfilled it by about a quart (or maybe a more). As I was adding the fluid, I realized my mistake as I saw fluid running out on the ground on the passenger side (this was yesterday afternoon). Since then, it's continued to slowly leak/drip, coming from somewhere around the cooling line connections. I checked the fluid first thing this morning, and it was well over the "Full hot" line on the dipstick, and it had leaked a spot about the size of 2-3 dinner plates on the ground overnight. One other observation, it doesn't seem to drip when the engine is running, which I figure is because the fluid is circulating and the static level isn't as high.

Anyway, long story short, I'm just looking for a little reassurance that it's just the tranny being overfilled. I need to check that the cooling line connections are tight, but I'm pretty sure they are (can't turn by hand at least, and I checked them again when installing before I put the headers on, also doesn't seem like the tranny would drip with the engine off out of the cooling lines). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 09, 1:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave 383 now

Default Re: TH350 overfill help?

Pull a cooler line off at the rad and get some to assist you while they run it and you remove a quart of oil out of it. You will need to clean that area off where the leak is, it might either be your dipstick or your kickdown cable leaking there. It may not be because it is overfilled.

Dave
Old Sep 15th, 09, 3:54 PM
Tech Team

could be a bad o ring on the dipstick. however, this is a great little tool every person should have. I bought it for the jet ski originally, but use it on the lawnmower, to get dirty brake fluid out of the cars, have done oil changes, you name it, anything except the fish aquarium
http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Sh...ng/MIT7400.htm
Old Sep 15th, 09, 4:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

That's a handy device----

In the meantime, the cooler line method will do fine. It's hard to see clean tranny fluid, I agree...... Hopefully it's just over full.

---1965 Malibu SS Ragtop 283/416 heads/700r4
---2009 Corvette Coupe

"Whatever it is, I'm against it." --Groucho Marx
Old Sep 15th, 09, 4:24 PM
Tech Team

yea that evacuator is great. its makes oil changes a breeze on the car. i will get what i can out of the pan through the dipstick tube and then pull the pan bolt and get the last 1/2 quart or so.
Old Sep 15th, 09, 4:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Careful when you fire the car with the cooler line off. Plenty of pressure and it shoots all over the place. You could pull the vacuum modulator and drain also.....

Steve O.
Old Sep 15th, 09, 5:12 PM
Senior Tech Team

Is an overfilled TH350 tranny expected to leak? I might have the same problem.
Old Sep 15th, 09, 6:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Team Camaro

Did you follow the tranny fill instructions ?
Run in in gear on stands (all forward and reverse) and check/add as going ?

You said you checked it in the morning and it was way high on the fluid level....The tranny needs to be at temp with motor running and on level ground to check level is why I ask the above.

A new th350 tranny/converter combo will hold approx. 10-12 qt.s depending on converter size (8,9,10,12") cooler size, and/or pan depth.
http://youtu.be/48OfD_C4JWU <-11.36 Vid.
Some days all you can do is just smile
Old Sep 15th, 09, 6:21 PM
Team Member
Tim Smith

10 bucks, available at most auto stores. And get some rubber fuel line that fits the nipple on it. This is how I sweeten the ATF in older trannies, suck out a couple quarts and top it with fresh.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80022/10002/-1

yeah you have a bad o-ring on your tube. also some of the aftermarket chrome dipsticks are just not going to retain the o-ring.

you could also just pull the 3/8 bolt that holds the tube to your engine and yank the whole tube out, let it lose what it loses, put a new o-ring and be about right. Or you could jack up 1 side of the car while the tube is out.
Old Sep 15th, 09, 6:26 PM
Team Member
Randy

Even when over-filled, it shouldn't leak, but it will foam up the fluid and cause slipping. Check the dipstick and speedo gear o-rings as well as the cooler lines, vacuum modulator, and accumulator servo. I once had a pinhole leak at the dipstick tube where the welded tab bolted to the bell housing. A plugged or pinched vent line will cause the tranny to push fluid out the top of the dipstick too. Ask me how I know.

Son, that there pedal on the right, that's
the loud pedal. You stand on that, and
the Rat's gonna Roar.
Old Sep 15th, 09, 6:33 PM
Team Member
Tim Smith

you can also home-build a vacuum device with a 1 gallon pickle jar. Just solder or jb weld some tubing into the lid. Leave 1 nipple up close to the lid and run the other down to the bottom. Connect the long nipple to a hose and stuff it down the tranny or whatever. Now the fun part. Go get a car that has fairly decent manifold vacuum and connect the short nipple to full manifold vac with a long-ass piece of hose and start the engine. STOP the process when you figger you should

I had one of these for about 10 years, finally broke it. Had some pretty good fun with it.
Old Sep 15th, 09, 6:59 PM
Tech Team

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys. It seems to have stopped leaking, I'll clean it up tomorrow, and then park it on some dry pavement to check it again.
Old Sep 15th, 09, 7:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

An overfilled trany can also spit out the vent. It makes a mess, because the vent is on top.

I would be concerned if it is leaking out the trans cooler lines. This would not be symptomatic of overfill as these are pressure lines and would leak if they weren't tight. Whether over full or not.

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
69 AMX
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: TH350 overfill help?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.