Why would anyone build a 377? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Sep 15th, 09, 3:50 AM
Tech Team
Craig

Default Why would anyone build a 377?

Just curious as to why anyone would take a sbc 400 and throw a 350 crank into it...

Is there a benefit here reducing torque this much or does it make for a high performance combo elsewhere?

What am I missing here?

Thanks guys!
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 09, 4:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Default Re: Why would anyone build a 377?

No personal experience with one, but from what I've read the big bore short stroke 377 makes for a high revving, high HP engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 15th, 09, 6:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

my wifes Nova has a 377, you'd be surprised that you don't have to spin it all that high to make power. Two benefits to a stock block 377, first the stroke you removed will exponentially add to the life if the block when your in the 600 to 650 hp range. 2nd, the added bore helps unshroud the intake valve and improve air flow into the cylinder.

In an attempt to slow my wifes nova down to keep it out of the 9's we incrementally lowered the shift points 200 rpms at a time from 7400 to 6500. The car went faster each time. She now shifts 6500 goes through the traps at a tick over 7500 on a 9.9x pass at 134-135.

I guess you ask why would anyone build a 377, i ask why would anyone build an underperforming 500 plus inch big block. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Personally i like when my small block junk doggs on a big block car, let alone a big inch big block....
Old Sep 15th, 09, 6:36 AM
Tech Team
Craig

Haha...gotta love that!

I think you have made quite a statement!

I notice circle track racers run 377's along with 406's.

Must be the combo you are talking about...

Anyone else with 377 experience?
Old Sep 15th, 09, 6:44 AM
Tech Team
Craig

My uncle raced dirt track in the early 90s and used 377s because he was told (and felt it afer he used them) that they were high revving and good torque in the high RPMs when taking turns in dirt tracks since you stay in the throttle taking turns alot.

The only thing he did not like was the extra parts needed..oversized bearings and the weight on the back of the crank.
'68 Malibu 355ci 3:73 10 bolt posi
'04 Murano SL AWD
'90 Buick LeSabre Limited
Old Sep 15th, 09, 7:09 AM
Senior Tech Team

I did that for somebody once, for a dirt track car actually. Couldn't talk him out of it.

He basically spent extra monay to take power away from his 400. He figured that out when he got beat consistently by 400s. He ESPECIALLY got beat coming out of the corner. Running the high line to keep the RPMs up wasn't always the fast way around, and he would get beat coming off, every time. He told me later that he regretted not listening when I warned him that would happen. Common sense should have told him that 7% less power, at maybe 200 RPM higher, doesn't somehow make a winner.

The only time I can see that it makes sense is if you are CID-limited by class rules or some similar circumstance. As far as I've been able to tell there is no advantage whatsoever otherwise. For most people who do that, they are merely using their own money as the weapon to shoot themselves in the foot with.
Old Sep 15th, 09, 7:21 AM
Senior Tech Team

I remember it being a common combination back before the era of affordable aftermarket cranks. The 400 only had a cast crank, so you could put a forged steel 350 crank in it and make more power than a 350.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01615.jpg
Best pass so far 9.039 at 148.10, 1.266 60'

Last edited by bracketchev1221; Sep 15th, 09 at 10:03 AM.
Old Sep 15th, 09, 7:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Robb

Some drag racers don't want the torque at the start line of a 400. They can be less concerned about there suspension and turn the rpms up down track. A friend of mine runs a 377 in a 3000lb s-10 , runs 10.65 N/A
Old Sep 15th, 09, 7:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

And its a bolt budget together...You can use off the shelf 400 pistons, 5.7 SBC rods, and all you need special are bearing spacers, about $70.....My budget 377 with a flat tappet .550/.570 solid cam and Dart Pro 1 215 went 10.80's all day at 3200 lbs...

Steve O.
Old Sep 15th, 09, 9:15 AM
Tech Team

Another Budget combo is a 386 c.i.. Take a 350 steel crank, off set ground the rod journals to 3 9/16, use 67 Vette tear drop S.J. rods. The S.J. rod will allow you to use a standard base cam. Every thing clears with no grinding.

Ron 92Camaro
Old Sep 15th, 09, 9:28 AM
Senior Tech Team

It's amazing how many folks believe that the 1/4" shorter stroke somehow makes this a rev queen. I don't know that I've met anyone that took out a 377 and replaced it with a similarly built 400 and didn't go faster, spinning it to about the same revs. Build ia 400 like a truck motor and it will act like a truck motor, build it like a race engine and it'll act like one.

'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks,
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
You better run!
Old Sep 15th, 09, 9:52 AM
Tech Team

a friend of mine used to run stroked 400's up to 430 cid or so. He would have to grind the block to accept the crank, cut the skirts to accept the rods and then shave the rods to accept the cam.

He was running a big fogger system on top and was running high 9s at altitude, (4500) feet. The block would get 50 to 80 passes and then have to be torn down.

It was fun to watch the process of putting the 400 together. He runs BBC's now, pretty much put together the same way. He moved to Washington and runs in the 7s and 8s now. I wish I still had a picture of his 68 camaro
Old Sep 15th, 09, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

destroked 400's used to be the ticket for the 3/8 mile high banked clay oval "dirt" track at east alabama motor speedway in phenix city al. some folks would even put sleeves in the blocks for smaller pistons. those motors got plum angry out of the corners !! they did used to have problems clearing tech afterwards on some of them though. am sure they would get a big body heavy chevelle moving pretty quick too sans tech inspection. now a days those good ol boys run the gm crate motors for the most part.
Old Sep 15th, 09, 11:18 AM
Tech Team
Kurt

The only time that I would ever de-stroke an engine would be if I were running a weight per cubic inch class. You can get a higher horsepower per cubic inch with a big bore, short stroke engine. Other than that, I just like to build them big.
Performer RPM Air Gap with 1000HP Pro System Holley
10.0 CR
262/270 .050 108 LSA .714" solid roller
8" PTC / 1.76 Glide 4.88 rear
Old Sep 15th, 09, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech Team

I think 377's are a throw back to the days when there weren't readily available after market heads for the SBC that would really support the flow requirements of a 400+ SBC in the upper RPM band or the bottom end parts needed to make a long stroke SBC live a long happy life.

Now days, there are heads and bottom end parts to support lots of cubes in a small block and toi make it live a long happy life. IMO there is no need to give up cubes to go with a 377 unless there is a class rule or restriction on heads or blocks.

68 Camaro 427" E85 burning small block. 9.90 @ 135 mph through the mufflers on motor. Best 60' 1.319 on motor. 5.92 @ 116 1/8th mile on spray with 1.425 sixty on the back tires.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...tational00.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Why would anyone build a 377?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.