Crane or Wolverine Blue Racer 284H - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Aug 19th, 09, 11:37 AM
Team Member
Jake

Default Crane or Wolverine Blue Racer 284H

This is the cam in my engine. The receipt I have says WG1139K, and when checked through Crane's website (which is now shut down) a while back, is shown as grind number 284H, with these specs:

Durartion Advertised: 284/284
Duration at .050": 218/218
Lift at .050": .450"/.450"
ICL/ECL: 105/115

If I remember correctly the specs at Crane's website claimed it made power from 1000 - 5500 RPM. It looks like it may be a copy of the comp 268 cam.

I had a Crane tech on the phone a good while back and he told me to match parts that make power through 4800 RPM.

It seems like the few times that I have manually 1-2 shifted my TH350, the engine stops pulling hard at around 5500 to 5800 RPM.

I am close to swapping my heads (GM #624 smoggers) out for a set of worked over GM #601 heads. There is a good chance that these heads will flow enough to make power past 6000 RPM.

What I am wondering, and want to know if anyone has experience with is this:

Does this cam just stop making power around 5500? Has anyone used one and have some wisdom to give up? I've searched the web for a dyno sheet to see for myself but can't find one. I don't really want to do this swap for more power only to be held back by the cam.

Trust me, if I had an extra two or three hundred bucks, I'd already have a voodoo 60102 or comp XE268H on the way to my house.

I have a line on a used 268H for a very good price, with only a little dyno time on it, which may not be the best choice, but is probably way better than what I am running. It would come with the lifters that were used. I am going to flat out ask...how risky is it to try and install a used cam/lifters?

I guess I wound up asking more questions than I intended here, and wound up with another book instead of a straightforward post. If you guys that have been doing this a long time would give me some insight, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I do all my own stunts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 19th, 09, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Default Re: Crane or Wolverine Blue Racer 284H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
This is the cam in my engine. The receipt I have says WG1139K, and when checked through Crane's website (which is now shut down) a while back, is shown as grind number 284H, with these specs:

Durartion Advertised: 284/284
Duration at .050": 218/218
Lift at .050": .450"/.450"
ICL/ECL: 105/115

If I remember correctly the specs at Crane's website claimed it made power from 1000 - 5500 RPM. It looks like it may be a copy of the comp 268 cam.

I had a Crane tech on the phone a good while back and he told me to match parts that make power through 4800 RPM.

It seems like the few times that I have manually 1-2 shifted my TH350, the engine stops pulling hard at around 5500 to 5800 RPM.

I am close to swapping my heads (GM #624 smoggers) out for a set of worked over GM #601 heads. There is a good chance that these heads will flow enough to make power past 6000 RPM.

What I am wondering, and want to know if anyone has experience with is this:

Does this cam just stop making power around 5500? Has anyone used one and have some wisdom to give up? I've searched the web for a dyno sheet to see for myself but can't find one. I don't really want to do this swap for more power only to be held back by the cam.

Trust me, if I had an extra two or three hundred bucks, I'd already have a voodoo 60102 or comp XE268H on the way to my house.

I have a line on a used 268H for a very good price, with only a little dyno time on it, which may not be the best choice, but is probably way better than what I am running. It would come with the lifters that were used. I am going to flat out ask...how risky is it to try and install a used cam/lifters?

I guess I wound up asking more questions than I intended here, and wound up with another book instead of a straightforward post. If you guys that have been doing this a long time would give me some insight, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
I know some people that put used cams in their engines but I won't. If your 601 heads have been worked over, I would go with the Voodoo 268..

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1010428.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2/P1010429.jpg
Old Aug 19th, 09, 12:19 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Jake,
Camshaft power ranges are not really that cut and dry. Small block cams are usually listed for 265-400 cu in. If you put a particular cam in a 265 its power range will usually be a lot higher in rpms than if you put the same cam in a 400. There are many other factors also. Everything from carb size to valve sizes to exhaust will affect the rpm range that an engine makes power.

As far as used cams and lifters, I would say dont waste your money and time.

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
Old Aug 19th, 09, 12:26 PM
Team Member
Jake

Thank you for the replies guys. It sounds like installing a used cam is a roll of the dice, which I am not willing to make.

The roll of the dice I will be making is how many RPM I can make power with using the cam I already have. I know one thing I have to watch out for is ping, with these small chamber heads. If I put in a cam that has a significantly earlier intake closing angle, I would be running a much higher dynamic compression ratio. I have been told that this will make more chance of pinging. If the cam I have was installed straight up, the ICA is around 67. That leaves me with a shorter dynamic stroke and a DCR around 7.5 or so. even though a good engine runs 8 or 8.25:1, I think I am comfortable with that considering the fact that right now my DCR is likely under 6.6:1. Yikes!!

What I am doing will be an improvement. Does this make sense?

I do all my own stunts.
Old Aug 19th, 09, 12:40 PM
Paul

Smile Re: Crane or Wolverine Blue Racer 284H

OK, a '72 350 should have 8.5 to 1 CR and maybe only 9 to 1 in the big 350 engine!

Therefore, something like a 260 cam will be way better UNLESS your -601 heads up the CR to like 10 to 1 with the help of shim headgaskets.

If you can get to 10 to 1, the old 284 cam will do fine, although not it's best only b/c imho, a 284 cam need's like 10.5 to 1 CR..

Anyway, at 10 to 1, a 268/270/272 cam will be just about dead-nuts on.

As always, jmho.

The used 268 cam w/ it's lifters kept on the lobes they came off of OR w/ new lifters should be fine, just treat it like a new cam and break it in accordingly. Just make darn sure that it looks GOOD and that it's not worn too much. If it is , then stay away from it.

If you are $Bucks down the old Summit brand house cams are dandies. Look at the 214/214, 214/224 and 224/224 cams here w/ the small one making more grunt and the biggest more topend w/ said spread in compression ratio and cam size increase.

And even the 204/214 generic "Performer" cam will be great for a DD if you are still going to be low compressioned!!!!

pdq67
Old Aug 19th, 09, 1:02 PM
Team Member
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
OK, a '72 350 should have 8.5 to 1 CR and maybe only 9 to 1 in the big 350 engine!

Therefore, something like a 260 cam will be way better UNLESS your -601 heads up the CR to like 10 to 1 with the help of shim headgaskets.

If you can get to 10 to 1, the old 284 cam will do fine, although not it's best only b/c imho, a 284 cam need's like 10.5 to 1 CR..

Anyway, at 10 to 1, a 268/270/272 cam will be just about dead-nuts on.

As always, jmho.

The used 268 cam w/ it's lifters kept on the lobes they came off of OR w/ new lifters should be fine, just treat it like a new cam and break it in accordingly. Just make darn sure that it looks GOOD and that it's not worn too much. If it is , then stay away from it.

If you are down the old Summit brand house cams are dandies. Look at the 214/214, 214/224 and 224/224 cams here w/ the small one making more grunt and the biggest more topend w/ said spread in compression ratio and cam size increase.

And even the 204/214 generic "Performer" cam will be great for a DD if you are still going to be low compressioned!!!!

pdq67
Paul, the engine code came back as a '74 two-bolt block. It has been rebuilt with cast dished rebuilder pistons. I probably have 12 or 14cc of dish including the valve reliefs, and they are shorter too, so I am likely starting out at .045 or so in the hole.

With .015 shims and 58cc chambers I am looking at around 9.6:1 static compression. The machinist is reshaping the chambers and opening them up to be on a 350 instead of 305. The guy told me he is going to cc them & make sure they are the same size, and he told me we can pretty much mill them to whatever cc's I need, to a point. If I have him take them down to 54cc I will be right at 10:1 static compression, and with the cam that's in there now, around 7.8:1 dynamic compression.

I don't want to have to retard timing and keep off the gas to make sure I don't ping. Is this too much, should I settle for less compression here?

I have read that if the edges of the chambers are chamfered and all sharp edges removed, along with dished pistons that there is very little to no chance at pinging if you run 93 octane. Does anyone feel like setting me straight on this?

Thanks again.

I do all my own stunts.
Old Aug 19th, 09, 1:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Sheepster. BAH!

For the typical 350 a 218 FT cam in generally running out of breath before 6k.
Old Aug 19th, 09, 1:18 PM
Paul

You've pretty-much got it right! .015" shims, great!!

I would just 1/8" bullnose their chamber outlines, then cc them.

And at 9.6 to 1 CR, the 268/270/272 cams I mentioned earlier will be great for you! Heck, Isky's old 264 Mega at 264/214 will be POWERFUL!!

Watch cutting your -601's too much b/c they are lightweight casting heads.

My stock pair of -601's cc'd at 53 and 55 cc's!

pdq67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Crane or Wolverine Blue Racer 284H
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.