ACC Performance "Boss Hog" Converters.."JUNK" - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Sep 30th, 09, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default Re: ACC Performance "Boss Hog" Converters.."JUNK"

I went the ACC Boss Hog converter route at one point years ago. They are JUNK without a doubt. This was when my car was running 8.50's. The engine would rev to the shift point right off the line and on the shifts it would only fall a couple hundred rpm then hit the light again. Once in high gear it would stay in the shift light till the 1/8th mile mark but it would never over rev and hit the limiter. Just what strokd66 is describing. This was a supposed 10" converter to flash 4000 rpms. Took it out after one weekend of racing and put a 10" 4000 stall TCI in and car ran perfect. I have heard more than a few stories just like this with the ACC converters. ATI was the right place to call as I now run one of their Tree Master 8" converters and have had nothing but good results with it behind many different combos. It was dead on when I got it and even after a restall with the new combo they hit it dead nut a second time.
Best 1/8- 6.53 @104 mph 1.36 60'
Best 1/4- 10.51 @125 mph 1.41 60'

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 30th, 09, 11:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
/\/\ikey

Send a message via MSN to Mikeys69

According to TCI. When a torque converter is manufactured, the converter endplay has a plus and minus tolerance range. As long as the endplay stays within the tolerance range, the converter will function properly. In other words, you measure a converter when it's new and record the dimensions. This is the baseline. Measure the converter during your regular maintenance schedule. If the endplay clearance has moved out of specification range, then the converter should be returned to the factory and checked.

The tool used to do your measurements is made by TCI. BTW..
1969 Chevelle Malibu 406 SB

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386745

Some day I will own a 1967 Chevelle, again.
Old Oct 1st, 09, 12:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper72 View Post
Its a shame that a thread started about a specific company also ends up trashing another. I must be one of the few that got a good converter from Redneck ? Several here on this board are running them and very happy with them.

Just thought I would atleast tell another side to the story before people read this thread and assume Redneck Performance is in the same boat with ACC Performance.
BTW since when is Art Carr lacking experience ?

To the OP - Glad your new converter picked up. Nice runs.

Creeper, I believe that this is like any part.......It is subjective to who is paying or who has bought the item in the end......I don't believe my statement was crapping on Redneck, but asking a question.....

I have noticed that if some of your parts are not status quo, then it is immediatly labeled garbage or inferior if it did not work for a guy's combo..... Everybody is entitled to their personal preferance, that is the beauty of capitalism....Now if several people buy a part and the craftmanship,quality, or customer service was not satisfactory to those individual, I cannot be mad at them, people can only take the information and make an educated decision for themselves... I have bought parts before that were not high dollar or status quote.... But the real tale of the tape comes when people buy the high dollar stuff and it fails.... Then its said well I got a bad batch..... Whenever you have man making anything, you will have some imperfections as we are not perfect.... But then you go to the percentages and averages..... And if you have Company A who has 5% of imperfections vs a Company B who has 30% of imperfections, then certain conclusion can be concluded.........

Not dissing Redneck, Boss hog, Holley,TCI etc......... Above statements are in general.........

I am a genius when it comes to spending others money.....lol
Old Oct 1st, 09, 10:32 AM

As a wholesaler of these for over 9 years I have had good luck supplying customers with James product. The owner of this company was the shop foreman for Bill Taylor for many years until he sold TCI and James went out on his own. Now we are dealing with a manufactured part by humans and I have never met a human that was mistakeless. I would suggest getting a hold of the ACC and seeing what they say and I bet they will fix the problem.
Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
Old Oct 1st, 09, 11:19 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
As a wholesaler of these for over 9 years I have had good luck supplying customers with James product. The owner of this company was the shop foreman for Bill Taylor for many years until he sold TCI and James went out on his own. Now we are dealing with a manufactured part by humans and I have never met a human that was mistakeless. I would suggest getting a hold of the ACC and seeing what they say and I bet they will fix the problem.
Unless a car with a converter like the boss hawg one I had is wrung out at a dragstrip i could easily see how someone could mistakingly think that the way the car acts on the street is just "the nature of the beast". On the street the only thing I noticed was the limiting of the rpms, but I would have never chaulked that up to the converter. It did seem to slip a littl emore then normal, but again "nature of the beast". What I seem to be finding so far is that all th people who have had problems with them have raced their cars. I wouldnt be suprised if there is a ton of street cars out there that dont race, that have high slipping converters that just think its the "nature of the beast". I truly believe when it comes to torque converters, you get what you pay for.
Old Oct 1st, 09, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Sheepster. BAH!

Havent read every post but was it defective or just looser than expected?
Ive tried different brands rated the same and they all acted a little different. Some tighter, some looser from cheapies to expensive ones fwiw.
Old Oct 1st, 09, 12:14 PM
Tech Team

I must of got a good one, I had one about 10-12 years ago,maybe they were better then, I had the 3800+ in a nova with a 406 it ran mid 10s at 130 for 4 years,then i sold the whole car. It would flash about 4000.
Old Oct 1st, 09, 1:54 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67T56Elky View Post
Havent read every post but was it defective or just looser than expected?
Ive tried different brands rated the same and they all acted a little different. Some tighter, some looser from cheapies to expensive ones fwiw.
The rpm's would hit a brick wall at 5300 under a load. It was very loose on the street. 1st to 2nd gear at the track showed 0 rpm change. I couldnt get the car to go any faster then 90mph. In drive at the track it would just stay around 53 or 5400 rpms. Car was wrung out in 3rd gear at half track of a 1/8 mile. On a chassis dyno hp and tq was exactly the same in every rpm.
Old Oct 1st, 09, 2:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculated Risk View Post
I don't have anything to say good or bad about Boss Hog, or Redneck. But when it comes to converters you are paying for a reputation. You pay and extra few hundred dollars for an ATI, but you get a very good converter for the money.

If you consider the time to R&R a converter on jacks stands in your garage or driveway I'll pay a little more to get one from a company that has a name on a national stage..
I agree 100% with these^ statements above. Very well said.
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: ACC Performance "Boss Hog" Converters.."JUNK"
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.