Chevy 350 Crate engine - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jul 29th, 09, 3:01 PM

Default Chevy 350 Crate engine

I ran across a friend of a friend that has a 3 1/2 year old, BUT new crate motor that he bought for a Chevelle. The crate motor was never put into his car. He said he told me he bought it 3 1/2 years ago but never put it into his car because of life issues, divorce, lost his job etc...

Anyway he showed me a receipt that showed he payed $4000 plus for it new 3 1/2 years ago. He just never did the change out. The engine looks nice, a complete engine all chromed out with chevy emblems on it etc... He told me he would be willing to sell it to me for $2000, half of what he payed for it. Sounds like a great deal ?????

My question is, with it sitting around for so long could I be looking at any potental issues with this engine if I decided to buy it. The engine is still sitting in the factory crate that it was shipped in, not sure if new crate engines are shipped with oil in them or not ? and if that could lead to potental problems ????

Anyways any information or advice would be helpfull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 29th, 09, 3:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Default Re: Chevy 350 Crate engine

There have been a variety of crate engines for a Chevy.
This a GM or ??
If GM ,what's the part number ?
Verify what your paying for.
Just because it's in a crate and the friend of a friend has papers doesn't mean that the receipt is for that engine.

Might also verify that it's a 350 - get the block numbers
Old Jul 29th, 09, 3:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Find out also what do do in the case of a new engine that has been sitting. Anything special way to lube it beside squirting some oil in the plug holes, etc?

Make sure it's the motor you want. If so and it checks out, great deal...

---1965 Malibu SS Ragtop 283/416 heads/700r4
---2009 Corvette Coupe

"Whatever it is, I'm against it." --Groucho Marx
Old Jul 29th, 09, 3:26 PM

The engine is a 350 with 350hp. The engine is a turn key engine. The receipt was for $4500 and something.

I believe him that this is the engine he bought, we've been aqantences for awhile (again friend of a friends) and I knew he had the engine just sitting there for awhile. I approached him to sell it. My concerns is could there be potental problems with this engine from sitting around so long ? I'm sure exterior things could have dryed out and cracked over the course of 3 1/2 years, and again if it was shipped with oil in it can that be a problem after sitting for so long etc ... ???

I've priced Complete crate motors and the new Chevy Performance 350, 350 hp are going around $5500 without tax, so $2000 is a great deal as long as I dont have to go through the engine and end up having to replace a bunch of stuff. I personally dont want to have to go through the engine other than for exterior parts etc.....

Last edited by LowellsGundogs; Jul 29th, 09 at 3:47 PM.
Old Jul 29th, 09, 3:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

It's a steal, then... You can prime the oil system by spinning the oil pump manually down the hole for the distributor. If there's oil in it, change it. Maybe the filter too, even though it's been in a box: that's one gasket that you can get to easily that might have dried out. Other guys can tell you more about starting up a motor that's been sitting, but it must be done all the time so there's a procedure! Does it have a flat tappet cam and does itneed to be broken in? I'm not sure, I've never bought a crate engine before.

---2009 Corvette Coupe

Old Jul 29th, 09, 3:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

All Crate engines I know of are shipped dry. It sounds like it may be a ZZ4 engine based on the HP numbers of 350. If it is a ZZ4 2k is a very good deal. As long as it was stored inside and in its crate with all the factory plastic plugs still in place you should be fine. You could call GM and they can tell you the procedure of starting a stored engine. It's very common to hear of engines sitting for a while before being used so I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's still clean and was stored in the factory crate. Go for it!!
'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2014 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition (Hydro Blue).
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar and 1967 Mustang with 390's.
Old Jul 29th, 09, 4:00 PM

Better grab it, that's a heck of a good deal.

Sitting around won't hurt it at all unless maybe it was in some very humid atmosphere.

Gold member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club
Old Jul 29th, 09, 4:27 PM

My father in-law told me that old sitting oil can start to harden up and turn into a lacquer type of thing, is this true ?

As for the engine, it needs exhaust manifolds, and does need to be broken in. Does anyone have information on breaking in an engine or can anyone recommend a video or pamphlet on what I may need to do. Other than the reciept, the guys ex-wife has all the other paperwork on the engine and how to break it in etc... He said hes not going to ask for it, because theres no way she will give it to him, she hates him, LOL.

He said he's willing to sell it to me for $2000 and take the hit on it, because he just doesnt want to hassel with it. He told me buyer beware because he doesnt know if sitting around will have effect anything (but that was only after I asked the question, of, I wonder if sitting around will cause any problems) Again I approached him on selling it he didnt approach me, so I know hes not trying to scam me.
Old Jul 29th, 09, 4:39 PM

I did see some rust on the surface of where the exhaust manifolds will sit. So question ? what could be a proplem if it was sitting in a humid atmosphere. When I saw it, it was in the guys garage, but thats not to say its been sitting in that exact place for 3 1/2 years. For all I know it was outside at some point. I just dont know, so I have to look at it as having the possibility of having been outside some, at least when asking questions, so What potental problems could arrise from being around the elements of the weather ?
Old Jul 29th, 09, 5:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

The stickies at the top of the engine forum my Scott on flat tappet cams will be helpful. Motor oil is not what it used to be when that motor was built. It now needs an additive for the old schools... And for break in- Light surface rust near the exhaust manifolds is OK. You might want to go over that with emory cloth or something to smooth it over.

---2009 Corvette Coupe

Old Jul 30th, 09, 1:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Not Andy

Grab the part number off the crate.
24502609 is for a ZZ4
10185072 is for a ZZ3

both will have aluminum heads

Let me know if it's something different and I can check for you.
1999 350, Vortecs, GM's HOT cam, Holley Stealth Ram, 700R4, 4:10s
car: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps8c002323.jpg
engine: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/DSC03416.jpg

Northstar Calendars:
http://www.northstarchevelles.com/No...ndarorder3.pdf
Old Jul 30th, 09, 6:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

He states "I did see some rust on the surface of where the exhaust manifolds will sit" I know ZZ4's have cast aluminum 1987-91 Corvette L98 cylinder heads, and I think so do ZZ3 so the engine must be some other type of crate engine with cast iron heads. Thoughts?
'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
Old Jul 30th, 09, 6:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

I don't know if we will ever find out either because he joined Team Chevelle in Jul 2003 and only has six posts; hopefully he will let us know.
Old Jul 30th, 09, 10:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Anthony

I know a guy who has bought 2 GM performance crate engines and they both had oil and a filter in them. All he did was prelube them and fire them up.
Old Jul 31st, 09, 11:28 AM
Tech Team

Im sorry to be skeptical. Aquaintence or friend it costs nothing to make a phone call wiht the #'s off the block or better yet part # shoudl be on the crate. I wouldnt trust what the guy states it is without verifying it myself. I would want to know exactly what it was regardless...Id want to know what the cam specs are, if its s hydraulic flat tappet or roller engine. Id want to know what head come with it for example....how do you know the Aluminum heads that maybe came with the motor were not swapped for some junk iron smog heads? If all checks out Id prime the engine with oil at the distributor with the propper tool, and fire it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Chevy 350 Crate engine
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.