oil change after break in??? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jul 11th, 09, 6:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Default oil change after break in???

Okay folks just had a successful afternoon! got the budget 454 fired off, broke in the cam and this is where I sit. After 20 minutes of running, I went and set the valves, carb etc. Now I have to finish up and change the ps brackets etc. SO do I just dump the delo 400le and the eos after 20 minutes? or should I run the thing a few days? Only thing new in the motor is the rings, cam and lifters. Thanks!!! jim
71 el camino, SS clone (sold!)
71 nova 350 4 speed with 4.10 gears! Sold
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block!
67 el camino 307/th400-3.31 12bolt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 11th, 09, 8:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Doug

Default Re: oil change after break in???

You should be able to put a few hundred miles on it before dumping the oil. Avoid idling as much as possible during that time, and I recommend having the idle speed higher during that time, like 1200 or so if possible. (keeps the cam lubed better)
Old Jul 11th, 09, 9:08 PM
Team Member
Tim Smith

I usually dump it after 15 to 30 minutes. And sometimes I do it again in another hour or so. And the filter. And cut the filter open for inspection.

Depends on the engine though. My cheapo 305 overhaul still has the original oil in it, but it's a roller cam and just a stock engine, really almost put itself together it went so sweet/easy. I'll leave that oil in there until it darkens a skosh and ain't one bit scared. And hell I never drive it so it shouldn't ever darken. I did pull the filter after it ran awhile and dumped it across my hand, clean/pretty oil so I just screwed it back on.
Old Jul 11th, 09, 9:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

The advice used to be drive it 500 miles; but now my machine guys said run it the 20-30 minutes for the cam and take it for a spin around the neighborhood and then dump it + filter. That's my plan for the next break in.

--Rich

---1965 Malibu SS Ragtop 283/416 heads/700r4
---2009 Corvette Coupe

"Whatever it is, I'm against it." --Groucho Marx
Old Jul 12th, 09, 7:56 PM
Jim

good info im about to fire mine up soon...just need to get a set of headers for angled plugs then im ready to rock and roll

1966 Chevelle Malibu Convertible

383 stroker

th350 3500 stall
Old Jul 12th, 09, 9:25 PM
Team Member

Smile Re: oil change after break in???

ASSUMING FLAT TAPPET CAM HERE.

DONT EVER RUN ANY NEW/RBLT MOTOR ESP WITH A PERFORMANCE FLAT TAPPET CAM BEING BORKEN IN FOR 500 MILES BEFORE CHANGING THE 1ST FIRE UP CAM/LIFTER BREAKIN OIL,THATS ASKING FOR TROUBLE!!!!!!!! IMHO.

Dump that berakin oil & filter with motor hot to get all crap out period,do not run it for 500 miles to save $25 which is just plain bad advice.

Doing that comprimises the complete new motor build if the cam goes bad 1k-2k miles down the road due to metal debries in breakin oil trashing the new cam.

Refill with more new delo or what ever oil you have with good zddp lvl .

Also run more gm eos for this post cam breakin oil change for some additional insurance,cant hurt.

Now run oil & EOS/lucas tb zinc breakin lube or what ever for 300-500miles max .

Then dump it again refilling with oil and or oil addive like cam shiled/zddpluss/lucas tb zinc etc that has the propper zddp lvl for the flat tappet perf cam your running.

Now you can return to std a 3k miles oil & filter change schd.

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
Old Jul 12th, 09, 10:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

So is the delo 400LE okay for the post break in oil change? Ive got the cam broke in, drove around the block and to the gas station, maybe 5 miles total. I want to go back and check the valve adjustment anyway. So Im thinking I'll adjust the valves and then do a oil change. Ive also got a extra bottle of eos. jim
Old Jul 12th, 09, 10:51 PM
Team Member

Smile Re: oil change after break in???

Delo is ok with gm eos no matter what cam you have for the post breakin oil change to run 300-500miles max then dump that too.

The gm eos offers enough additonal zddp and other additives to cusion the lifter to cam lobe interface.

But if you have a real hot flat tappet cam i would run an oil higher in zddp then the delo oil ,the delo has decent 1300zddp lvl thats good for stock to moderate perf flat tappet cams.

But rhot flat tappetcams with real high spring rates should use an oil like maybe valvolies VR1 or even better yet Spectros new oils with 1800ppm zddp or Cen-pe-cos oils that have approx 1600ppm + zddp. But there are other oils and or oil additives like cam shield/zddplus etc that can do the job too.

Let me know if you want the list of oils and will send it to your email address if you give me your email address.

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
Old Jul 12th, 09, 11:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

The cam is the Summit generic .500 lift BBC cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1301/ and the springs are http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-911-16/ From what ive been told its a pretty mild setup.
If you could email me the list, my email is jsmcnamara@cox.net thanks. jim
Old Jul 13th, 09, 8:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

I've always changed the oil after the initial breakin. I don't care how clean your shop was when you built the engine, it has dirt in it. An oil change is cheap insurance! DO cut the oil filter open! Why take a chance over a $25 oil change?

I never make mistakes, but on occasion I present myself with an opportunity to get very creative.
Old Jul 13th, 09, 9:45 AM
Senior Tech Team

I wished I had a clean shop to build motors in. Unfortunately this thing was put together under a carport with bad lighting. With a mix of new, used and abused parts. Sort of like the 454 in my chevelle. Jim
Old Jul 13th, 09, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

The thick moly paste used for cam and lifter prep can also be pretty tough on oil filters, so I am always going to dump the oil after break in. No problem with the cost of oil and filter with me.
Best so far 12.19 @115.75 MPH
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...dsChevelle.jpg
Old Jul 13th, 09, 12:54 PM
Tech Team
Matthew

Send a message via AIM to mkube396

yeah change the oil and filter all you need it the filter to be clogged up with moly paste and then you get a little foggy and boot it to 5K and blow the filter and send all the junk from brake in to your Barings.
3:42 Posi GTA rims
Holley 750 3310
8.61 1/8 mile on street tires

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...uff/monte1.jpg
Old Jul 13th, 09, 1:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Wayne

I broke in my 66 396 with Chevron Delo and a pint of GM EOS. I changed the oil immediately after break in while the engine was hot and sent a sample to a lab for analysis. That break in oil was black and had all sorts of crap in it which the lab attributed to everything from RTV to shop rag residue to other gasket sealers and metal from the rings seating. The lab suggested all of this was normal for break in and the abnormal concentrations would probably return to normal within one or two subsequent oil changes. Now after 600 or so miles, 2.5 years, and 3 oil changes (Delo w/ EOS) the oil stays clear on the dipstick and valves are quiet.

The bottom line is that break in oil has a ton of abnormal stuff in it and should be changed out immediately after break in.

Before Restoration
Now
Old Jul 13th, 09, 11:25 PM
Team Member
Tim Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
The cam is the Summit generic .500 lift BBC cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1301/ and the springs are http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-911-16/ From what ive been told its a pretty mild setup.
If you could email me the list, my email is jsmcnamara@cox.net thanks. jim

I have a summit cam in my old 283. K-1105. That thing would cut your friggin thumb when I pulled it out of the box, so I sat down with emery cloth and worked on it for awhile, got it where you didn't bleed when you touched it.
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: oil change after break in???
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.