GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Camino

Have Bed .... will travel.
El Camino Tech

El Caminos El Camino & Sprint

Old Jun 29th, 09, 8:43 PM
Byne

Default fuel tank help: LS swap

I am gathering up all the parts I need to get started and complete my LS6 swap into a '71 El Camino. The fuel tank issue is giving me the most problems so far. I have seen/read about using the '95 Impala gas tank (cheapest option), but that requires cutting the floor/trunk of the Chevelle which would mean having to cut the bed of the Camino (right?), which isn't too appealing. I am tired of bouncing from forum to forum, post to post, trying to figure this out. I would greatly appreciate some no-nonsense advice/direction. I am looking at purchasing a stock replacement tank for a '71 and getting some sort of sump welded on and TanksInc 250 LPH pump. Like the title says....Help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 29th, 09, 10:26 PM
Tech Team

Default Re: fuel tank help: LS swap

Ricks HotRod tanks. Pricey but is the absolute 'best' solution to put a FI pump in-tank in anything. I used one in my EFI 1967 build. PERFECT!
the rest of the junk
Old Jun 29th, 09, 10:38 PM
Byne

Yes, I've checked them out, and the tanks look top notch. As you say though, on the pricey side, but there is a lot to be said for doing it right the first time. Thanks for the input. Still undecided.
Old Jun 29th, 09, 11:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

I am going to put a sump on my Chevelle tank to allow the pump to sit lower in the tank. I definitely don't want to cut my trunk. The Elcamino tank is different any way since it is side filler. Worst case I will buy one of those universal sumps and make my own baffle. I am not as far down the road as you. I am still trying to finish my Elcamino. Post up some pics of whatever you figure out.

1970 Elcamino SS396 4spd
1970 SS454 Chevelle

TC#632
TSC#11

70 LS2 Build thread http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...lba-toast.html

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295800
Old Jun 29th, 09, 11:40 PM
that Nova Guy

The wagon tank from a 95 Caprice is just about a bolt in. It has a side fill opening, is about the same shape and will fit the body using the stock straps. I have been looking for one for a couple of years with no success.
Old Jun 30th, 09, 3:45 AM
Byne

Phillip,
I took your suggestion and started looking for that fuel tank. I found a '94 wagon that someone is parting out on craigslist. Check in the Philadelphia, PA craigslist. Search for Caprice wagon and it should come up. I don't know if that will work, but it's worth a shot. Maybe all your searching will be at an end.
Old Jun 30th, 09, 12:06 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bynerhode View Post
Yes, I've checked them out, and the tanks look top notch. As you say though, on the pricey side, but there is a lot to be said for doing it right the first time. Thanks for the input. Still undecided.
Not as though I'd try to sway you from a more economical solution, but here's a few shots of the Ricks Stainless tank as I was installing it in my 67. Had to modify the center support bracket but only because I wanted to ise a different rubber pad to eliminate scratching / squeeking. Although the near $1000 price tag is high, a stainless tank, with the in-tank pump of your needs fitted and installed, baffles to keep EFI supplied in corners, feed and return (an-6 lines), fill and vent in the correct location onth eside,,, and the correct fuel gauge. In the end it's a nice fit being made specifically for the Camino.

Here's a couple of photo's

the rest of the junk
Old Jun 30th, 09, 2:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Here is another option... check out this thread: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...hlight=MU-2021 where I showed putting an EFI fuel pump module into an Elky tank. No freakin baffles required. No highway robbery for a stainless tank either.

This setup may not work if you want to run more than around 400-450 HP though. Well it could but you would have to do some more engineering

BTW I also highly recommend whacking the end of the Elky filler tube off and replacing it with a later model from a truck. The convienience factor of not having to hold the nozzle in at the gas pump is absolutely priceless.

My preference is also for the evaporative emission control Elky tanks rather than the earlier tanks. Think 71-72. They have better internal venting designed in so you can run a sealed gas cap. No spills that way. And since you have a '71 you should already have the required extra vent tank over the top (I had to add it to my '68).
Old Jun 30th, 09, 11:36 PM
that Nova Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bynerhode View Post
Phillip,
I took your suggestion and started looking for that fuel tank. I found a '94 wagon that someone is parting out on craigslist. Check in the Philadelphia, PA craigslist. Search for Caprice wagon and it should come up. I don't know if that will work, but it's worth a shot. Maybe all your searching will be at an end.
Used tanks usually can not be shipped because of the residual fumes. I really thought I could have found an old wagon by now that someone used the motor and wanted the rest hauled away. JWagner had one from a Caprice sedan so I got to see the size and shape and compare it to the El Camino tank.
Old Jul 1st, 09, 3:15 AM
Byne

I called Rick's and they quoted me around $1000.00 for the tank with the Walbro pump and sending unit. I think it's going to happen. I'm tired of trying to find a cheap method of doing it. I guess the tanks are worth it if you have the money, right? I don't see how Rick's would still be in business if they weren't worth it.
Old Jul 1st, 09, 7:47 AM
Dale

I use car-part.com to find used parts. you can search by zip code also. There are several wagon tanks on there in the southeast.
Old Jul 1st, 09, 10:06 AM
Tech Team

This is what I did for my 1970 with 400hp LS1:

Cleaned the stock tank really, really well, than had the local welding shop put in a sump that I got from summit. Whole deal cost less than $100. Because I had the tank out, I put in a new fuel sending unit. Ran some earl's push-lock up the the engine to a Corvette FPR, and used the stock return line to the tank. I've got about 4k miles on the car and no problems.

Old Jul 1st, 09, 3:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Really you would just have to make sure that you had a baffle in the sump and you would be good.

1970 Elcamino SS396 4spd
1970 SS454 Chevelle

TC#632
TSC#11

70 LS2 Build thread http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...lba-toast.html

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295800
Old Jul 1st, 09, 10:05 PM
Byne

thanks ls1camino70, those are reassuring words. I have zero experience when it comes to sumps, and most that I have seen don't really give the impression that they would do much about guarding against fuel starving. I don't really get how they would prevent/reduce sloshing. I went to summit's site. Take PN: CEE-4041 for example. Can someone explain how exactly they work in relation to the sending unit? The fact that you haven't had any problems speaks volumes, but I'd like to know how they work too. I want to learn as I go.
Old Jul 2nd, 09, 1:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Your comments and observations are exactly what sent me to the wrecking yard to do some research. I figured the OEMs have to deal with these same issues and must have come up with some solutions.

I found a few approaches. One that is not applicable to A-body fuel tanks is the tank shape. Some just have a triangular shape to naturally keep fuel at the bottom.

Others have a tray in the bottom with circular channels around the outside. The idea is that fuel can run in but not slosh out. GM liked this one.

The last and best IMHO is the module. These actually keep a surge tank reservoir of fuel in the module in the tank. This is the direction I went and show in the thread I mentioned above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > El Caminos      Current Topic: fuel tank help: LS swap
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.