Define Divorced choke - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jun 18th, 09, 9:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Roland

Send a message via AIM to forever young
Default Define Divorced choke

Gents,
I see this on carburator spec's. What does it mean? I am looking for a quadra jet for my 70 SS and don't know what this means, do I need one for my 70?
Thanks,
Roland in NY
Advertisement

Old Jun 18th, 09, 9:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave 383 now

Default Re: Define Divorced choke

Divorced choke means about the same as a bad marriage, its seperated. The choke coil is not mounted on the carb, its on the intake. Your 70 probably has a divorced choke.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 18th, 09, 1:14 PM
Team Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave427 View Post
Divorced choke means about the same as a bad marriage, its seperated. The choke coil is not mounted on the carb, its on the intake. Your 70 probably has a divorced choke.

Dave
That is correct, the expandable (like a coiled spring) thermostatic coil for the choke is located in a pocket, or platform, on the right side of the carb base, just on top of the exhaust crossover passage. This coil is connected to the choke valve by way of a rod/linkage. As the coil heats up from exhaust heat in the crossover passage, it expands and pulls on the rod which opens the choke valve in the carb.
Earlier carbs had this thermostatic coil inside a round, bakelite housing mounted on the right side of the carb. Hot air, heated by a tube passing through the right exhaust manifold, was drawn up through a tube routed to the choke housing. This was usually referred to as an integral choke because it was actually part of the carb assembly. The last carb to use heated air routed to the choke on the side of the carb was 1965 on MOST engines.
There have been aftermarket kits available to convert this type of choke to manusl (cable with a pull knob inside the car), and also elec conversion kits which has an elec heating coil inside the choke housing.

TEST/TRIVIA QUESTION:
Was there ever a Chevy engine which had the choke heated by hot air from the LEFT exhaust manifold? If so, what engine, what years?
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Old Jun 18th, 09, 1:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
That is correct, the expandable (like a coiled spring) thermostatic coil for the choke is located in a pocket, or platform, on the right side of the carb base, just on top of the exhaust crossover passage. This coil is connected to the choke valve by way of a rod/linkage. As the coil heats up from exhaust heat in the crossover passage, it expands and pulls on the rod which opens the choke valve in the carb.
Earlier carbs had this thermostatic coil inside a round, bakelite housing mounted on the right side of the carb. Hot air, heated by a tube passing through the right exhaust manifold, was drawn up through a tube routed to the choke housing. This was usually referred to as an integral choke because it was actually part of the carb assembly. The last carb to use heated air routed to the choke on the side of the carb was 1965 on MOST engines.
There have been aftermarket kits available to convert this type of choke to manusl (cable with a pull knob inside the car), and also elec conversion kits which has an elec heating coil inside the choke housing.

TEST/TRIVIA QUESTION:
Was there ever a Chevy engine which had the choke heated by hot air from the LEFT exhaust manifold? If so, what engine, what years?
GM went back to the integral choke in the mid 70's, but instead of running a tube to the exhaust manifold, they drew air from a fitting on the back of the carb, thru the exhaust crossover in the intake, and up to the choke coil. they later changed over to electric using the same housing but with an electric coil instead of tubes running from the intake and back of the carb.

-Hank Hill
Old Jun 18th, 09, 5:54 PM
Tech Team

Can a divorced choke Q-jet be converted to an electric choke?
Old Jun 18th, 09, 7:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_d View Post
Can a divorced choke Q-jet be converted to an electric choke?
yup- all the mounting bosses are cast into the body for the integral choke housing.

-Hank Hill
Old Jun 19th, 09, 7:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Roland

Gents, thanks, this was actually so obvious but I never recognized it. I have the metal thermostat on the side that connects with the linkage.
Thanks,
Roland in NY
Old Jun 19th, 09, 7:48 AM
Team Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
GM went back to the integral choke in the mid 70's, but instead of running a tube to the exhaust manifold, they drew air from a fitting on the back of the carb, thru the exhaust crossover in the intake, and up to the choke coil. they later changed over to electric using the same housing but with an electric coil instead of tubes running from the intake and back of the carb.
Derrick,
Did they do this on Chevy engines?????????????
I know that Olds did, that's what is on the 455 in my 76 Cutlass, but I don't remember seeing an integral choke on any mid 70s Chevy engines which takes heated air from the ex crossover on the intake manifold.
(of course in the mid 70s they had intake manifolds with EGR valves and I throw all of those kinds of manifolds in the scrap iron pile immediately!!!)
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Old Jun 19th, 09, 7:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

divorced choke---
when your wife has you pinned on the bed,hands around your throat yelling DIVORCE!! DIVORCE!!

RTH
Old Jun 19th, 09, 1:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Roland

I have a mid 70's small block manifold with the exhaust running across the front of the manifold in front of the primaries. I tried once to put it on a 350 I built with bad results.
Old Jun 19th, 09, 1:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
Derrick,
Did they do this on Chevy engines?????????????
I know that Olds did, that's what is on the 455 in my 76 Cutlass, but I don't remember seeing an integral choke on any mid 70s Chevy engines which takes heated air from the ex crossover on the intake manifold.
(of course in the mid 70s they had intake manifolds with EGR valves and I throw all of those kinds of manifolds in the scrap iron pile immediately!!!)
yup- millions of them in all cars and trucks, starting around '74 or so and going up until they started using electric chokes across the boards in the early 80's. all those cast iron egr intakes you've always just thrown away had this setup- 2 barrels and 4 barrels alike. that's why Edelbrock machines the regular 2101 and all the 50 state legal small block intakes the way they do on the passenger side- the stock hot air tubes bolt right in, and it comes with a nifty little aluminum adapter plate just in case you have the older style divorced choke. this little adapter is available separately from Edelbrock for a few bucks, and would allow an older divorced style choke carb to be used on a later model factory intake, if you were so inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever young View Post
I have a mid 70's small block manifold with the exhaust running across the front of the manifold in front of the primaries. I tried once to put it on a 350 I built with bad results.
i think they only used that intake design in the 60's- a special carb gasket is needed to seal off the exhaust ports in the intake.

-Hank Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Define Divorced choke
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.