621 bellhousing - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Jun 14th, 09, 4:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Default 621 bellhousing

Between ebay and swap meets, I've seen these bellhousings go for $200 to $350. Is a 40 year old bellhousing worth more than one from GU or Keisler, or is this just an originality thing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 14th, 09, 9:36 PM
Team Member
Tom

Default Re: 621 bellhousing

Dave,
Basically, it's just an originallity thing. To the best of my knowledge, the ONLY reproduction 621 housing is from Keisler (sold through various outlets such as GU).
Also, as far as quality and strength go, the Keisler housing is probably a better housing than the GM 621 housing.
Novices may not be able to recognize the difference between an original 621 and a Keisler, but I can instantly spot a repo with one eye closed and an eye patch over the other eye. Is that bad? NO! Do I have any complaints regarding the Keisler housing? NO, but I can just tell it from an original 621.
Would I recommend the Keisler over an original 621? If your objective is to have a good housing as opposed to an original 621 from GM, ABSOLUTELY!

And oh ya, in the swap meet area at CB09, there was a guy with 5-6 621 housings----------------------and over priced in my opinion. The last time I went by his space, he hadn't sold one of them. He also had a 61-62 open bottom alum housing---------------priced at $450. He hadn't sold that one either.
If all of his housings had been priced at a reasonable price, he could left with a profit instead of not even money for gas to get home on. Oh well-----------------------
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Old Jun 14th, 09, 11:07 PM
Tech Team
Jason

i've heard the Keisler ones aren't as brittle as the original 621's,so if you lose a clutch it'll give more and not shatter like broken glass and maybe save your feet in the process...
Old Jun 15th, 09, 8:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Thanks for the info guys. Was at a swap meet yesterday with a similar experience.. guys wouldn't budge on prices. I'm sure they lugged them back home with them.
Old Jun 15th, 09, 8:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

What are the original 621s selling for now? I have one that has a crack on the bottom but I think it can be welded and ground and should be ok.
Old Jun 15th, 09, 9:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Saw 4 yesterday... 2 for $200 apiece, one for $275, one for $350
Old Jun 15th, 09, 10:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

The availability of the Keisler reproduction, at a reasonable price, will drive down the price of the original 621's. The sellers you guys encountered just haven't figured that out yet.
Old Jun 15th, 09, 11:21 AM
Team Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia69 View Post
The availability of the Keisler reproduction, at a reasonable price, will drive down the price of the original 621's. The sellers you guys encountered just haven't figured that out yet.
You'd like to think that would happen!

It would just seem to me that if a swap meet person had 4 for sale, and they were priced at $100-150ea (rather than $200-300ea), it would be smarter to go home with $500-600 in their pocket rather than $200-250 in their pocket plus haul the others back home.
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Old Jun 15th, 09, 11:25 AM
Team Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe58 View Post
What are the original 621s selling for now? I have one that has a crack on the bottom but I think it can be welded and ground and should be ok.
Joe,
My opinion on a crack like that is, if the crack/damage is BELOW the line of the two lower holes where the housing is bolted to the block, a welded repair should be just fine. I've done this to several housings over the years and have never seen any resultant problems.
Keep in mind, the earliest alum housings (60-63) were an open bottom style, thus there was nothing below the lower holes where the housing was bolted to the block.
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Old Jun 15th, 09, 12:53 PM
Tech Team

Guys I have them instock comes with the bell,inspection cover and all hardware.

$249.95 plus shipping. For being a Team Chevelle member. I will throw in a fork boot and pivot ball.
Old Jun 15th, 09, 1:15 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Being an Originality guy myself, I will say that I would advise against anybody paying more than $225 for a GM 621 these days... a few years back.. that number might have been $325 ...Priced at Low of $150 to a high of $225 is about the limits of what I would give the nod to anyone asking me...

444's are however still getting good coin in the range of $475.. but all of this depends on who is buying it, what they are building and their motives... I think MOST guys are and will be happy with a repro.

Mike
Old Jun 15th, 09, 1:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Anakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN View Post
Saw 4 yesterday... 2 for $200 apiece, one for $275, one for $350
I see you were at the Peotone Swap. Some of these guys are married to their parts. I think that the prices on stuff are going to drop over the next few years becasue of the economy. Why drag the stuff to a swap meet if you're going to ask ebay prices.
Old Jun 15th, 09, 2:07 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

People drag it to swap meets always looking for that ONE SHOE... there is one for every foot and while it seems crazy, I agree with Tom... some guys feel, all I have to do is find that one guy who will not buy a Repro., and has to have original and has not been able to find that one part.... if he shows up... I'm RICH, RICH I tell ya!!!
Old Jun 15th, 09, 2:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdvdr41 View Post
I see you were at the Peotone Swap. Some of these guys are married to their parts. I think that the prices on stuff are going to drop over the next few years becasue of the economy. Why drag the stuff to a swap meet if you're going to ask ebay prices.
Yep, Peotone
Old Jun 15th, 09, 3:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
john

I bought a 621 at englishtown swap meet this spring.The guy wanted 150 I went back before I left with a hundred dollar bill and it was mine!
pistons .049 heads 2.19/1.88 manley/116cc,harland sharp roller rockers,Cam 501/527,214/224 at .050.air gap 750 double pump .3.73 posi.9.6:1 compression Th400-Hughes 3,000 stall speed bm holeshot converter. Best time 12.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: 621 bellhousing
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.