Chevelle Watts Link a Reality - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

Old May 30th, 09, 12:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Default Chevelle Watts Link a Reality

I've had my car over at Jim Fay's shop http://www.fays2.net/index.html for the past several months as the prototype car for his A-Body Watts Link. Happy to report we have a prototype on the street Fitment is on a '70 Malibu w/ OEM 12-bolt along with the SC&C/Spohn anti-roll bar. Fits nicely.

The major mod necessary to make it even fit was a new gas tank. Picture 3 shows the 'affordable' solution. After doing some research on the Spectra Premium website, I came to notice that the '69 Nova tank was a similar form-factor and of significantly less depth vs. the Chevelle and only gave up two gallons. I won't go into all the details right now, but we got it to fit with a bracket and filler neck mod. Also, the Nova fuel pickup is utilized thereby keeping the cost reasonable. Plans are to get a Spectra part number and make the tank conversion a bolt-in affair.

I plan on running the Power Tour at Madison and Racine BUT now I have a steering column problem: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273462 that has me sweating. With no steering column shops around and no reply to the thread, I took the car at a local dealership yesterday - before GM announced their BK today!!!!! - to have some of the old timers get her repaired. So right now I am without my ride, tomorrow's my son's 3rd birthday and I have heartburn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_05250076.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	21233   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_05250080.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	21234   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_05250084.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	21235  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 09, 12:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Default Re: Chevelle Watts Link a Reality

I would love to hear your feedback after pushing on it for a few weeks. Looks like some mean hardware. How much weight do you reckon was added overall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
Being politically correct is kinda like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Lurking around again after a long hiatus...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 09, 12:42 AM
Jon

Yes!
I have been waiting for this!

Jon

1968 GTO - SC&C's Street Comp AFX suspension, Forgeline SO3 wheels from Prodigy Customs and Sparco seats from Motor Sport Seats
Its not a Chevelle but a close cousin
Old May 30th, 09, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Troy

And not only does it clear Mark's adjustable rear bar, but there's also enough room to keep the tailpipes?

Awesome.

Old Procharged 350: 88mph 1/8, 11.9 @ 125mph 1/4, full street trim on slippery 17's, 3950# with driver, ice chest, stereo, and tools, California 91 pump gas.

In progress: Twin Turbo LS2, going for a bigger ET/MPH mismatch at the 1/4.
Old May 30th, 09, 2:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tim

looking good. id love to hear the report as well. about 35-40 lbs???

tim

Special Thanks To: Rushforth Wheels ; Kore3 ; SC&C

Build Thread : http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297607
Old May 30th, 09, 3:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

More info about the Nova tank also! How long 'till a drop-in tank conversion might be available? EFI baffled? /curious

Quote:
Being politically correct is kinda like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old May 30th, 09, 11:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Regarding the tank, Spectra doesn't make an EFI tank for the Nova at this time. I had a name from Spectra so Jim worked with him directly. He seemed interested in the project and sent a '70 filler neck which was then attached at a local radiator shop. Basically it's a repro '69 Nova tank GM46A (no emissions vents) with a '70 Chevelle vented filler neck, Chevelle mounting straps and two custom brackets between the tank and the trunk to prevent the tank from shifting either forward or sideways. The embossments in the tanks don't match up perfectly between vehicles.

The fuel sending unit is the regular GM 0-90 ohm unit so it connected into the stock Chevelle harness using the OEM plug. That was nice. Sender part number is FG104C (3/8" single line) which also happens to match the 68-69 Camaro sender. BTW: RobbMC makes a 1/2" pick up for these cars: http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...78_gmsend.html My car had the fuel return line in it which was obsoleted before I got the car. However, I believe the two-line sender FG104D is the 3/8" w/ return for the '69 Camaro if you wanted it. Three feet of new rubber gas line and it was in and running.
Old May 31st, 09, 3:19 PM

I`m really glad to see it with the gas tank in. That was the big stumbling block with this package on the A bodys. Hopefully we`ll be able to get this prototype package, including a finished gas tank turned into a true production package pretty quickly. If you think it`s cool now just wait until you drive it! Mark SC&C
SCP,Varishock,SpeedTech/ATS,Baer,Howe,Spohn,Currie,Lee,Hellwig
Call us for our free Suspension Counseling Service!
www.SCandC.com sales@scandc.com (610) 381-6100
Mark Savitske
Author of: How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle
Old May 31st, 09, 4:15 PM
Tech Team
Ryan

Send a message via AIM to brabbit50422

SWEEEEETTTTT. numbers asap, pretty please.

every engine works off of the same principal

ssbb- suck, squeeze, bang, blow,
Old May 31st, 09, 5:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

With the lateral movement solved, next logical piece would be a Torque Arm and therefore the elimination of the Chevelle upper control arms. Mark: I see Spohn makes a customizable arm https://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002...oduct&pid=1653 with a bind-free front mount system. Similar in concept to the Chris Alston dogbone T.A. mount. This and the Strange Camaro 12-bolt T.A. casting would be nice. http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/pages/078.jpg probably minimal fab work although I recall somebody mentioning the tight tranny tunnel on the A-Bodys. Figured since you work with Spohn, maybe you would be able to get a definitive yes/no on that T.A. working at all.
Old May 31st, 09, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

First off, awesome news and love the setup with the sway bar. It is good to see the a bodies getting the options the f-body guys have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALIBRU View Post
With the lateral movement solved, next logical piece would be a Torque Arm and therefore the elimination of the Chevelle upper control arms. Mark: I see Spohn makes a customizable arm https://www.spohn.net/shop/1998-2002...oduct&pid=1653 with a bind-free front mount system. Similar in concept to the Chris Alston dogbone T.A. mount. This and the Strange Camaro 12-bolt T.A. casting would be nice. http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/pages/078.jpg probably minimal fab work although I recall somebody mentioning the tight tranny tunnel on the A-Bodys. Figured since you work with Spohn, maybe you would be able to get a definitive yes/no on that T.A. working at all.
I was thinking the same, a 3 link or torque arm. BMR makes a torque arm the for the f-bodies which may fit the tunnel. You would have to combine the watts link and torque arm mounts. I would love to see the guys work up a bind free tq. arm.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/f1/f1ta.html
70 Chevelle SS396 Green on Green
Old Jun 1st, 09, 8:13 AM
Team Member

Me likey!!
Build: 540cid, twin turbo, 4L80e, ...wait for it...

Heart of Dixie Chevelle Club
Old Jun 1st, 09, 9:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

93Polo: A couple of companies already make a 12-Bolt center section with the 82+ Camaro torque arm bosses already cast in. It's a pre-existing form factor. I've even seen a pic of the Dana 60 version!! It shouldn't be any problem for Strange, Moser etc. to use that section and drop it into their A-Body jig. Welded axle tubes & welded Spohn bushing pads would be another plus. Suppose you could even spec the upper arm ears if you didn't have the $$ to do the T.A. right away. Just like the old Boy Scout Moto: "Be Prepared."
Old Jun 1st, 09, 10:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Like Mark said, the tank is the key. Tons of room now and the clearances on the shocks, exhaust (dropped in this picture) are also generous. Here are a few more pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_05250067.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	21281   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_05250096.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	21282  
Old Jun 1st, 09, 11:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Good tank info, thanks Steve.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Pro Touring      Current Topic: Chevelle Watts Link a Reality
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.