Garage lighting - CFL vs Strip - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Tools & Shops Shop Rat HQ

Old May 5th, 09, 4:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kurt

Default Re: Garage lighting - CFL vs Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
Yeah, I bought one for like $25.

I have the 8 lights on 4 different switches. It definitely helps.

If possible, put all lights on a separate 15A circuit. I only have 1 15A circuit at the moment.it pops the breaker when the comp kicks on. Trenching gas and electric line this summer.
The lights are on dedicated circuits - everything electrical related is new and I'm starting from scratch so I want to do it right. Walls have dual 20A circuts, garage door on it's own, etc. Did the trenching last year and ran power, water, phone & CATV. It's taking longer but it'll be worth it whem I'm done
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 09, 4:14 PM
Gold Member

I had to run over to Lowe's for some junk and looked at shop lighting. I think that they have a good 48" twin tube with a reflector for $17.98 each. It has an electronic ballast good down to 0 degrees. It is item 24556 and the model is NXU-6001-B if you need the details. There are some cheaper twin tube models, but this looked like the sweet spot to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 09, 4:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Nice. I think I remember a thread on the trench project? Care to share any tips or link to that. Sorry, slight hijack. Cant wait to set mine all up that way.
Old May 5th, 09, 4:26 PM
Team Member
Joe

My 32 x 24' garage has 3 porcelin fixtures for standard bulbs in it when I built it - one in each bay. I had used standard 100W bulbs, then changed to 100W Halogen as the originals blew out. Had three 48" 4-tube flour. tube fixtures sitting and ready to go in when CFL's hit the market. Installed 150W (equiv) CFL's and have not looked back. I think regardless of what you install, you will get shadows and end up using a shoplight for added lighting where you are working. As for cold weather. Garage is unheated. I hit the switch on the way in the door and within couple minutes it is full bright. You really don't even notice it. Have installed CFL's wherever possible. The room over that garage (768 sq ft room) has six spotlights overhead in the cathedral ceiling. Changed all those to 150 Watt (equiv) CFL's as well as the ten 65 Watt (equiv) spotlights/floodlights in the kitchen and eating area. First couple times it's an inconvenience waiting for the light to get to full bright. You get used to it in a very short time.

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...2/limit/recent
Old May 6th, 09, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kurt

Quote:
Nice. I think I remember a thread on the trench project? Care to share any tips or link to that. Sorry, slight hijack. Cant wait to set mine all up that way.
Yes - digging it by hand sucks

I rented a ditchwitch and it was impossible to get working correctly. Got all pissed off and dug the 60' by hand. I went down about 24 inches, the width of a garden rake. The width was so that I could use the rake to level the bottom and 'shave' places that needed it (for a level run). Plus with 4 pipes, I wanted to have plenty of width for them to lay next to eachother and not on top of eachother. Yeah, could have gone below the frost line but I figure the odds of it getting pushed to the surface are pretty slim.

The 4 pipes:

1. CATV/Phone
2. PEX for water (down the road)
3. #8 & 2 12-3's. #8 for power, 12-3's for 3 way switches for the garage lights - want to be able to shut them off from thehouse
4. Empty with a string tag

Proably overkill , don't know that I"ll ever actually do the water, but once it was dug, the extra few $'s wasn't a big deal.

Made one big mistake - didn't properly measure the lenght of #8 on the house end. Went to hook it up and was about a foot short. I could reach the box but not cleanly. Had plenty of extra on the garage end. Tried to pull more thru but it wouldn't budge. Thought I was going to be SOL but then decided ot give wire lube a shot. I opened up the corned boxes (not sure the real name, have that box with a plate on the back for entering a structure?) and pulled the wires out of both buildings. Hooked my shop vack up to one end as best I could and with it running, poured in most of a bottle of lube on the other end. Worked it down best I could, and then dumped more down the end where the vac was. After letting it sit for a while, I gave it a shot. With a bit of effort, it worked. Seems the sticking points were the 90 degree bends where the conduit turn up out of the ground from the bottom of the trench.

Made a hell of a mess (wire lube is awful stuff) but it worked.

So to sum it up:

1. Put in more capacity than you need
2. Measure and measure again
3. Pay someone to dig the trench

Also, when the trench is open, it's a great place to get rid of any extra stone or gravel youy might have laying around. Having an old house, we have lots of stones pop to the surface along with quite a bit of old coal furnace clinkers.

Last edited by Byfield; May 6th, 09 at 12:50 PM.
Old May 6th, 09, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kurt

This is mainly for Jeff but I thought his reply might be helpful for anyone else in the same situation I am so Im posting here instead of a PM

Went to Menards this morning and took back all the CFL stuff you and others have convinced me to go the strip light route but Ive got a few questions:

T-8 vs. T-12 - is there an advantage to one over the other?

H.O. vs. Cold Start The HO lights have a -20 degree rating while the cold start have a 0 degree rating. I dont see myself being out there when its near zero, let alone below zero so is this overkill?

4 vs. 8 I can get an 8 2 bulb H.O. T-12 for a few $ more than the same thing in 4. Tubes were the same price for either, so aside from dealing with 8 foot tubes, is there any reason to go 4 over 8?

Thanks
Old May 6th, 09, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Kurt, i used the 8 ft t-12 and was very happy with amount of light....my shop measures 50' wide by 30' deep..3 bay...i put a total of nine 8ft fixtures up on 10ft high ceilings..6' off the back wall and then 6-7' apart from rear to front, maybe 8ft from front so when garage doors are up, you don't block the light....also put 3 fixtures in each bay opening on its own switch...that way only 3 8ft lights are on if thats all i need..no need to turn all on if working on one car, as was mentioned here, off white walls and ceiling really brighten up the shop...you're right about one thing for sure, that wire lube is some of the slimiest stuff i've ever seen, but like you i needed it to pull that extra 12" of wire i was short from one end.....course in my case i didn't mismeasure length, my wire shrunk from the cold winters here in Bama...that's my story and i'm sticking to it.......
Old May 7th, 09, 12:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byfield View Post
This is mainly for Jeff but I thought his reply might be helpful for anyone else in the same situation I am so Im posting here instead of a PM

Went to Menards this morning and took back all the CFL stuff you and others have convinced me to go the strip light route but Ive got a few questions:

T-8 vs. T-12 - is there an advantage to one over the other?

H.O. vs. Cold Start The HO lights have a -20 degree rating while the cold start have a 0 degree rating. I dont see myself being out there when its near zero, let alone below zero so is this overkill?

4 vs. 8 I can get an 8 2 bulb H.O. T-12 for a few $ more than the same thing in 4. Tubes were the same price for either, so aside from dealing with 8 foot tubes, is there any reason to go 4 over 8?

Thanks
T-8 vs T-12; The main advantage is efficiency. The lower the T-X numbe ris, the more efficient a fixture will be. Now if these are only going to be on a few hours a day, a couple times a week (like most of us) then the advantage wittles down quickly. Now I have heard talk at supply shops that T-12's are goingf to be phased out for efficiency reasons, how true this is I can't say, but we do know about the incandescent bulb standards put into effect, it wouldn't suprise me if flourescent was going that way as well.

HO vs a cold start, the only diffrence is starting temp and price. Be honest with yourself, how often are you going to fire those strips up in sub zero temps? If you the garage to park in, and want light int he middle of winter, throw a couple of incandescents in for that. If you don't need the HO's rating of -20, don't pay for it.

Myself I would go 8' lamps. Purely personal preference. They spread light at a greater distance continuously, but nothing 2 well placed 4 footers couldn't handle. I prefer fewer fixtures and the same amount of light myself. I have had people do linked 4 footers in there garages, and then put each 4 foot section on a seperate switch for more control over lighting.

Jeff

2007 Trailblazer SS 364CI LS2 475hp 4L70E AWD with 4.10's front and rear!!! Daily Drivin' grocery getter

2006 Cadillac CTS-V, Luxury, handling, power Does it get any better??
Old May 7th, 09, 1:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kev

Forgive my barging in, but I have two points.

One, the tiny CFLs don't put out anywhere near the light that a fluorescent tube (or several) will. I changed some wiring in my garage a few weeks ago to get rid of a single pair of 4' tubes, and put up 4 CFLs with the intention of replacing them w/ 4 pairs of 4' tubes when the garage was done. Last night I hung a pair of used 2x4' tube fixtures with used tubes and the difference in light is huge. I suspect the very old tubes are dim as well.

Second, in a shop where blades will be spinning a fluorescent light has been rumored to have a strobe effect which could fool the eye and make you think a blade is stopped when its not. Ouch. Some have said some incandescent lights (along w/ fluorescents) will reduce this. Unfortunately they are probably being legislated out of existence.
Old May 7th, 09, 9:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sc View Post
Second, in a shop where blades will be spinning a fluorescent light has been rumored to have a strobe effect which could fool the eye and make you think a blade is stopped when its not. Ouch. Some have said some incandescent lights (along w/ fluorescents) will reduce this. Unfortunately they are probably being legislated out of existence.
Never head this before - My current workshop is lit 100% with 4' tubes and I've never experienced this. Granted, the only spinning blade is on the table saw and so little of that is actually visable while it's in use, even if it did occur, I can't see it being a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikss View Post
T-8 vs T-12; The main advantage is efficiency. The lower the T-X numbe ris, the more efficient a fixture will be. Now if these are only going to be on a few hours a day, a couple times a week (like most of us) then the advantage wittles down quickly. Now I have heard talk at supply shops that T-12's are goingf to be phased out for efficiency reasons, how true this is I can't say, but we do know about the incandescent bulb standards put into effect, it wouldn't suprise me if flourescent was going that way as well.
I don't see using them that often at all. Most of my time will be spent out there in the summer months, so a cpl hours at most in the evening. Though if the t12's are going away, it would make sense to not invest any $ in that system

Quote:
Be honest with yourself, how often are you going to fire those strips up in sub zero temps? If you the garage to park in, and want light int he middle of winter, throw a couple of incandescents in for that. If you don't need the HO's rating of -20, don't pay for it.
I don't see myself workingout there in those temps ever. If for some reason I begin to do so, I'll invest in a heater which would bring it up above the cut-off for the cold starts anyways. And with the insulated walls and a 2" insulated door, it won't take much to bring it up to temps

Quote:
Myself I would go 8' lamps. Purely personal preference. They spread light at a greater distance continuously, but nothing 2 well placed 4 footers couldn't handle. I prefer fewer fixtures and the same amount of light myself.
Makes sense. Plus 1 8' is quite a bit less than 2 4's

Thanks!
Old May 7th, 09, 9:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

If you go with 8 fixtures, get them with 4 vs. 8 bulbs, unless you are not concerned with handling (own a pickup or large car, storage, etc)

I have old T12 fixtures in the basement and they hum. The T8s in the garage are silent and start instantly.

Also, my T8s have ballasts that say good to 50F, and they take a few min to get to full brightness. I live in the Midwest, and have been in the garage when its 20-25F out, and they do take 5 min to get to full brightness. Of course, I turn on the torpedo heater and warm it up to 45F. I can only last about 2hrs in those conditions anyway.
Old May 7th, 09, 9:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kurt

Quote:
If you go with 8 fixtures, get them with 4 vs. 8 bulbs, unless you are not concerned with handling (own a pickup or large car, storage, etc)
Good point - Got the Ranger and plan to buy a case of bulbs someplace like Costco/etc. and just keep it in the rafters

Probably going to invest in those clear protective sleeves as well (unless someone can talk me out if it - never actually used them before)
Old May 7th, 09, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byfield View Post
Good point - Got the Ranger and plan to buy a case of bulbs someplace like Costco/etc. and just keep it in the rafters

Probably going to invest in those clear protective sleeves as well (unless someone can talk me out if it - never actually used them before)
This is where those T-8 tandems come in to play. Its (4) 4 footers but the fixture is 8 feet long. Getting the 4 foot lamps home and storing them is much easier than 8 foot lamps.

As far as the explosion guards, I use them in my garage, it only takes one wayward end of a piece of trim or a 2x4 or something to make a really big mess or mess up the hood of the car with shattered glass.

jeff

2007 Trailblazer SS 364CI LS2 475hp 4L70E AWD with 4.10's front and rear!!! Daily Drivin' grocery getter

2006 Cadillac CTS-V, Luxury, handling, power Does it get any better??
Old May 7th, 09, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bob

My garage is 35 X 35. What I have is 3 banks of lights, Each unit has 4 ---4 Ft. Flo. Tubes. or 12 tubes on the left side 12 Tubes in the middle and 12 Tubes on the right side. All 9 Light fixtures were FREE... Schools and office builds , Restaurants, replace fixtures to keep the cash flowing, It is a tax write off. Go to a work site and get FREE light fixtures. ( They pitch them in the dumpster )
In the last few years I have replaced 4-6 starters. I have a total of 36-4 Ft. Tubes in the garage. The ceiling and the walls are white and YES it is very bright. Each bank is on a switch and a Circut Brk.
Just a thought........ Bob
Old May 7th, 09, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikss View Post
This is where those T-8 tandems come in to play. Its (4) 4 footers but the fixture is 8 feet long. Getting the 4 foot lamps home and storing them is much easier than 8 foot lamps.
Ah, gotcha - somehow I missed that before.

So if I go with just cold start instead of HO, what am I looking at for a unit cost? (PM me if you'd like)

Quote:
As far as the explosion guards, I use them in my garage, it only takes one wayward end of a piece of trim or a 2x4 or something to make a really big mess or mess up the hood of the car with shattered glass.
Good point, and with 7' ceilings, I'm going to have to really be careful about knocking into them.
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Tools & Shops      Current Topic: Garage lighting - CFL vs Strip
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.