69 chevelle wheel hop - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Apr 23rd, 09, 5:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Billy Glenn

Unhappy 69 chevelle wheel hop

I have spun my axel tubes and put a crack in my housing from a bad case of wheel hop. It's a 69 with a big block, 4-speed, posi, 373 gears .15 x 10 ss rims with 295-15-50 tires on the rear, stationwagon springs and stock upper and lower control arms. The front tires are 14x7 225 70. The shocks are stock. How do I stop the wheel hop and can I keep this from happening again. I would like for it to appear stock as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 23rd, 09, 5:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Default Re: 69 chevelle wheel hop

Billy,read this:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270621
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 5:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

You have several options, traction bars that mount to the lower control arm bolt go forward to touch the frame when put under load, no-hop bars that change the pinion angle by moving the upper control arm upwards toward the body and roll the pinion upward, as well as other lift bars, etc. I think that adjustable upper control arms would resolve the issue as well as you could correct the pinion angle problem with them, which is what is causing the wheel hop.
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 8:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to 69 Daytona Yellow 3 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglennss396 View Post
I have spun my axel tubes and put a crack in my housing from a bad case of wheel hop. It's a 69 with a big block, 4-speed, posi, 373 gears .15 x 10 ss rims with 295-15-50 tires on the rear, stationwagon springs and stock upper and lower control arms. The front tires are 14x7 225 70. The shocks are stock. How do I stop the wheel hop and can I keep this from happening again. I would like for it to appear stock as much as possible.
I did the same to mine and still have it in my garage. Tell us more on your set up, like shocks, ride height ect. A pic would be nice. There are plenty of guys here well will get ya rolling smooth with no hop. A quick story to tell ya. Did a burn out one day after school < 1977 vintage >, it bounced so bad i put it in reverse and didnt know. When it stoped and took off i was going the wrong way. Was in a stick car. Boy what a no no......

33 Years of ownership, thanks dad !
Im real, my car is real and i have a tag line i dont hide nothing.
My 1969 Mellow Daytona Yellow SS396, 3 Speed, Bench Seat, Original Paint "Survivor".
Picture of "Crying 96" Tears Chevelle
Another Pic of "96 Tears" Chevelle
Press 1 for English
Press 2 for Deportation
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 8:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Louis

Compatition Engineering sales nice crome plated tracktion bars for Chevelles
My 69 Chevelle does not wheel hop at all. Not to mention they look great.
Original owner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCG7lnacgGg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FbCKQlBv0E
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 9:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Even at this ride height you will get some wheel hop. Get rid of the wagon springs and get the car at least an inch lower than what mine is and you should be hop free. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2797...01686729xnNZiu
Old Apr 24th, 09, 8:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tedford View Post
Get rid of the wagon springs and get the car at least an inch lower than what mine is and you should be hop free.
TC #364
Aces #4309

Chevelle's appeal to two age groups. Under 30. And over.
Old Apr 28th, 09, 11:26 AM

Thumbs up Re: 69 chevelle wheel hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglennss396 View Post
Hello
I would suggest to you look into a set of Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets. They are manufactured to eliminate wheel hop and improve you traction performance! But a set of control arms would be a good idea as well seeing how the stock arms are just stamped and flex. Below are a few links to show you what we have to offer!
http://www.umiperformance.com/produc...category_id=20
http://www.umiperformance.com/produc...category_id=17

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: 69 chevelle wheel hop
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.