Transmission Line Cooler Fittings for Summit Radiator Don't Fit - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

Old Apr 20th, 09, 10:54 PM
Tech Team

Angry Transmission Line Cooler Fittings for Summit Radiator Don't Fit

I just bought a summit direct fit aluminum radiator, part number SUM-380457 . The radiator shop just showed me that the standard 5/16 1/2 x 20 inverted flair tube fittings that screw into the new Summit radiator transmission cooler are too short. There is not enough thread material to allow the fitting to bottom out and seal off. It just leaks. The standard fitting is only .625" long, SUM-220157 .What I would need is the same fittings with more thread. Just 1/4" additional would be all I need. I tried all the local parts places, Napa, Advance, Autozone, ect, and no one has it. I can't even find one online. Does anyone have a solution? Is the radiator defective? Please help. The car is sitting at my shop and I want to get it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 21st, 09, 12:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
TC

Default Re: Transmission Line Cooler Fittings for Summit Radiator Don't Fit

I would call summit and talk to one of there tech people. See what they recommend. I've had good luck dealing with them and they are willing to help. Maybe they sent the wrong radiator unless your car has been modified. Anyway they are easy to deal with, give'em a call.
Old Apr 21st, 09, 12:27 AM
Tech Team

I called Tech, and he said Napa has the fitting I need, but I checked with them, and looked on their website, and they don't have the appropriate fitting. I will stop in at Summit tomorrow and look at another one of their Direct Fit radiators and compare the depth of the Trans cooler openings to the one I have. Maybe it was a manufacturing defect or they sent me the wrong radiator like you said.
Old Apr 21st, 09, 12:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Not sure I'm following correctly. There are two lengths of inverted flare nuts. Stock lengths of straight tubing have one on each end. The little bins at NAPA might have them, but you'll probably have to dig through them because everything gets mixed up. Might be easiest to buy short lengths of tubing and cut them off, the reflare your ends with the new nuts.

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
69 AMX
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
Old Apr 21st, 09, 7:26 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke67 View Post
Not sure I'm following correctly. There are two lengths of inverted flare nuts. Stock lengths of straight tubing have one on each end. The little bins at NAPA might have them, but you'll probably have to dig through them because everything gets mixed up. Might be easiest to buy short lengths of tubing and cut them off, the reflare your ends with the new nuts.
I can't find the long length inverted flare nuts anywhere in the 5/16 size. Whether on straight tubing or loose in a bin.
Old Apr 21st, 09, 2:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ryan

I think it may be defective, mine uses regular/ordinary 5/16" 1/2x20 fittings.
Updated Pic 3
Old Apr 21st, 09, 8:54 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rianbechtold View Post
I think it may be defective, mine uses regular/ordinary 5/16" 1/2x20 fittings.
Thanks for the info. I went back to Summit and had them pull another radiator out to compare the measurements to mine. It had the same deep seat issue, so I have come to the conclusion they got in a defective batch of radiators with the cooling line seats too deep. I instructed the Shop to grind down the top where the bolt screws in as far as they can and see if they can make it seat. If not this POS will be taken back, and an order put in with alumitech. Too much grinding and hacking for this "Direct Fit" radiator. To say I am disapointed would be an understatement.
Old Apr 21st, 09, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocefus View Post
Thanks for the info. I went back to Summit and had them pull another radiator out to compare the measurements to mine. It had the same deep seat issue, so I have come to the conclusion they got in a defective batch of radiators with the cooling line seats too deep. I instructed the Shop to grind down the top where the bolt screws in as far as they can and see if they can make it seat. If not this POS will be taken back, and an order put in with alumitech. Too much grinding and hacking for this "Direct Fit" radiator. To say I am disapointed would be an understatement.

you have a pm
Don
Old Apr 21st, 09, 11:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocefus View Post
Yea, but the grinding/hacking is not more than the $350.00 difference in price.
Updated Pic 3
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 6:48 PM
Tech Team

Update. The shop fixed the issue by putting a double flare on the transmission cooler line. That was just enough to get the screw bottomed out.
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 8:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

What was on there before, a single?

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
69 AMX
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
Old Apr 25th, 09, 8:38 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke67 View Post
What was on there before, a single?
Yes, it was just a single flare going into the stock small block brass radiator.
Old Aug 14th, 09, 12:03 AM
Tech Team

Bocefus, Did you have any issue with the radiator fitting in the radiator support? I have a 70 big block car and have found that the driver side tank of the radiator at the bottom is wider than my stock big block 4 core radiator and it hits the L shaped bracket that mounts to the radiator and the frame. The tank on my stock radiator is stepped, it is narrower at the bottom that at the top.

If I move my radiator to the passenger side a 1/2 inch or so then the rubber mounts in the rad support do not line up and the top support does not line up to the bolt holes.

Did you have this issue? or any similar issue?
Old Aug 14th, 09, 1:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13667 View Post
Bocefus, Did you have any issue with the radiator fitting in the radiator support? I have a 70 big block car and have found that the driver side tank of the radiator at the bottom is wider than my stock big block 4 core radiator and it hits the L shaped bracket that mounts to the radiator and the frame. The tank on my stock radiator is stepped, it is narrower at the bottom that at the top.

If I move my radiator to the passenger side a 1/2 inch or so then the rubber mounts in the rad support do not line up and the top support does not line up to the bolt holes.

Did you have this issue? or any similar issue?

Mine (Summit Direct-Fit #380457) was very close, but it fit. It fit, but looked like it might rub, so I whacked the bracket with a BFH- just enough to gain a little clearance... but my support is already pretty beat up on the bottom anyway... Mine is a factory small block, but factory A/C car...

Oddly, the lower mounts didn't line up (had to move them over 1/4" or so, by drilling new holes for the rubber mounts), but the upper mounts fit right where they're supposed to (with the rubber mount holding the tank weld beads), and there were also knotches in the upper radiator support, and the tanks welds fit perfectly into these areas... stock replacement hoses fit too...

My "short" trans cooler fittings worked, but they were pretty close (the "nut" portion is right at the radiator tank)... I was worried at first, because they kept going in and in and in...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Heating & Cooling      Current Topic: Transmission Line Cooler Fittings for Summit Radiator Don't Fit
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.